Buy a stand alone freezer, pros & cons.

bbko

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The sugar load in each of those three is quite astounding, sometimes 20%.

I look at the food labeling for the following word:

น้ำตาล - num tarn, or sugar in Thai.

There's hardly a packaged food in Thailand that does not have that on the label, no wonder the Thais had to buy up Australian sugar production to supplement their own.

Pure, white, and deadly.

I'm not concerned about the sugar in it for me it's the fat content, but it's the combination of fat\sugar in junk makes it addictive. I add sugar to fruit now if it's not ripe or sweet enough

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I buy pork shoulder, Pork Loins and Chicken parts (Breasts,Thighs,Wings etc) in Bulk, and then break down the large package, I then grind my pork from the Shoulder and freeze 1/2 of a kg in each package which is then frozen, The remainder of the shoulder is cubed for use in curries and other dishes and sealed similarly.  The loin is cut into boneless chops 1/2" thick and packaged, as well as packaging a mix of a breast, thigh, and wings in a package as the family all likes different pieces.  Each package is basically meal sized.  The Shrimp we buy uncooked but deveined and shelled in a 2kg bag, but it is left whole as it is so easy to just open the package and take the few out that are needed.  Fish we buy whole and then I filet it and package it, most times we buy salmon already fileted and I pack it into freezer bags after cutting it into a meal sized portion.  

We do not freeze veggies, as frozen really is not good unless your making pies and soups that cook all day.

I don't freeze anything, I and my GF buy fresh in the markets, and cook the same day.

Each to his own, I suppose you could argue our trips on the scooter use gasoline that you save by buying in bulk.

Just now, Lacessit said:

I don't freeze anything, I and my GF buy fresh in the markets, and cook the same day.

Each to his own, I suppose you could argue our trips on the scooter use gasoline that you save by buying in bulk.

No I have no problem burning fuel to buy things daily.  For us its just easier to fill the pantry and freezer up with the goods needed to last a month or two in case of any type of emergency.  I also have a generator if the power drops out and my Fuse box is wired with an additional set of breakers for certain items like the refrigerator, Freezer and of course the washing machine.  I have the sockets colored red for those, so that I can just switch them as necessary.

We pick up certain things daily like fresh fruit and veggies, which are perishable and do get eaten within the day or next few.  Folks for the most part do as you do, and for the Thai's we know they are shocked to see what we have stored.  Many are just not used to this way of life, but I grew up on a Ranch and of course when I started working I was only paid once a month, so thats when we shopped and paid all the bills, leaving money for emergencies and so on as I raised my 3 children. 

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not concerned about the sugar in it for me it's the fat content, but it's the combination of fat\sugar in junk makes it addictive. I add sugar to fruit now if it's not ripe or sweet enough

Ouch. IMO you are in training to become a diabetic.

If you deprive your body of sugar, you are teaching it to metabolize fat instead. As I understand it, that is the principle behind low carb diets.

I am not a big consumer of fat. Apparently I can eat yoghurt and cheese reasonably freely on the diet I am following.

Fruit usually has more than enough sugar in it for me, mangoes and bananas have a fair load.

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Ouch. IMO you are in training to become a diabetic.

If you deprive your body of sugar, you are teaching it to metabolize fat instead. As I understand it, that is the principle behind low carb diets.

I am not a big consumer of fat. Apparently I can eat yoghurt and cheese reasonably freely on the diet I am following.

Fruit usually has more than enough sugar in it for me, mangoes and bananas have a fair load.

Sugar isn't the problem, my blood sugar and HbA1c is very good, fit, healthy, weight is stable, varies up and down 1kg now and again. From the sounds of it you are work in progress, trying to lose weight, wait until you've lost the weight and maintained it for a few years without yoyoing then you'll know if your diet works

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sugar isn't the problem, my blood sugar and HbA1c is very good, fit, healthy, weight is stable, varies up and down 1kg now and again. From the sounds of it you are work in progress, trying to lose weight, wait until you've lost the weight and maintained it for a few years without yoyoing then you'll know if your diet works

I am a work in progress, trying to get my blood sugar and HbA1c down from pre-diabetic.

Sounds to me you are more concerned with the cholesterol and triglycerides, HDL, LDL etc.

I'll be getting tested in another two months, after that I'll know if I have to be more drastic.

It's a balancing act, I've lost 5 kg, but at the same time it's important for me to maintain muscle mass, which is heavier than fat.

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am a work in progress, trying to get my blood sugar and HbA1c down from pre-diabetic.

Sounds to me you are more concerned with the cholesterol and triglycerides, HDL, LDL etc.

I'll be getting tested in another two months, after that I'll know if I have to be more drastic.

It's a balancing act, I've lost 5 kg, but at the same time it's important for me to maintain muscle mass, which is heavier than fat.

My cholesterol and triglycerides, HDL, LDL etc. are all good, not concerned about any of that, not working on anything just enjoying eating what i want whenever i want, not calorie restricting, that would be hard work

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My cholesterol and triglycerides, HDL, LDL etc. are all good, not concerned about any of that, not working on anything just enjoying eating what i want whenever i want, not calorie restricting, that would be hard work

I guess it depends on whether one regards exercise as hard work, or enjoys it. There's a saying that goes diet is how one takes the weight off, but exercise is necessary to ensure the weight stays off.

I'm not fanatical about calorie restriction, but anything that has added sugar is out the door. My general rule is if I can put it on a pantry shelf because it does not need refrigeration, it's probably not good in terms of carbs.

Australian rules footballers are among the fittest athletes on the planet, a good midfielder will usually cover 15 - 20 km in a match. However, most fail the body mass index test miserably, because they are all muscle. The uncharitable would say that includes the space between their ears.

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I guess it depends on whether one regards exercise as hard work, or enjoys it. There's a saying that goes diet is how one takes the weight off, but exercise is necessary to ensure the weight stays off.

I'm not fanatical about calorie restriction, but anything that has added sugar is out the door. My general rule is if I can put it on a pantry shelf because it does not need refrigeration, it's probably not good in terms of carbs.

Australian rules footballers are among the fittest athletes on the planet, a good midfielder will usually cover 15 - 20 km in a match. However, most fail the body mass index test miserably, because they are all muscle. The uncharitable would say that includes the space between their ears.

I enjoy exercise in particular cycling, I'm fitter than I've ever been, but restricting how much you can eat and restricting calories won't be fun for sure and can lead to yoyoing

1 hour ago, Kaptain Asia said:

LOL............this thread has gone badly off topic. 

Well still a way to go yet, no ones has discussed how to lift and put headless bodies in a freezer yet without straining your back ????

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I also have a generator if the power drops out and my Fuse box is wired with an additional set of breakers for certain items like the refrigerator, Freezer and of course the washing machine.  I have the sockets colored red for those, so that I can just switch them as necessary.

I have solar panels and batteries powering my home.

Fridge and freezer work no matter what (unless the sun goes out).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:09 PM, EVENKEEL said:

The more storage you have the more you will buy, the more you will eat, the fatter you will become. All in the name of saving a few baht.

Really ?

I have approx 6 months worth of Beef, Lamb and pork in my freezer and I don't find I eat any more meat now than when I did before I purchased the freezer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

I have a chainsaw in the shed.

A meat saw makes a neater cut so I am told. Also some people are claiming on this thread that if you have a freezer you eat more. I have to say that if were keeping one or two bodies/body parts in a freezer it would not tempt me to eat more I think.????

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

A meat saw makes a neater cut so I am told. Also some people are claiming on this thread that if you have a freezer you eat more. I have to say that if were keeping one or two bodies/body parts in a freezer it would not tempt me to eat more I think.????

I enjoy the smell of two stoke when carving flesh.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have solar panels and batteries powering my home.

Fridge and freezer work no matter what (unless the sun goes out).

Can not solar panel my penthouse condo unfortunately.....lol

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Well still a way to go yet, no ones has discussed how to lift and put headless bodies in a freezer yet without straining your back ????

That's some imagination you've got there. Note to self: Be polite to this poster.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Really ?

I have approx 6 months worth of Beef, Lamb and pork in my freezer and I don't find I eat any more meat now than when I did before I purchased the freezer.

Really? What is your BMI?

I bought a 14 cf freezer in January and filled it.

The only problem I have found is I have not seen the lower half in 5 months. Don't know that I ever will.

They need to make freezers like compost bins, where you can turn a handle and rotate them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talk about going off topic ????

OT, think it depends how little or extra freezer space you have now.  Not really seeing the savings buying bulk.   Also, unless packaged correctly, freezing does degrade foods.  Need bags specifically for freezing & vacuum sealing, if keeping long term.   Most bulk items, you have to thaw, butcher, then refreeze.  Not a fan of, even though I've done.  

I personally don't like freezing anything over 1 month, since don't have vacuum bag sealer, or bother with proper freezer bags, not cheap here.

It is convenient not needing to shop for meats every week, or stocking up on items you like, as the store sometimes have issue with keeping stock.  But that's the only advantage.  Unless living way out of town.  We still need to shop weeking for milk, fruits & veggies.

Have 2 frigs, neither large nor small.  Freezers can keep us going for a month easily.  Main reason for two, is I like my beverages extremely cold, without ice and if fruits & veggies in the same, they tend to freeze.  Half the space used in the 'colder' frig is all beverages.   Actually had a small frig for that at last house, but that stayed there, when we moved, ran out of room in the truck.

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Really ?

the principle is correct though, you buy multipack food and drink and you'll use it quicker, generally speaking, there will be exceptions

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

the principle is correct though, you buy multipack food and drink and you'll use it quicker, generally speaking, there will be exceptions

I dont buy anything other than meat in bulk.

friends company is an importer.