Buy a stand alone freezer, pros & cons.

bbko

With grocery prices on the rise, I'm thinking about buying a stand alone freezer and buying items in bulk at a cheaper cost.  My home is big enough so space isn't a concern, with 2 adults and 2 children in the home I'm just looking for ways to save money.  I'm hoping to hear from those that have or had one and what the pros & cons are?  Are the savings substantial enough to justify buying a 4-5-6k thb unit?  Or will the rise in my electric bill negate the savings? TIA for the comments.

• Haha 1

No idea on some of the questions, but a chest type freezer (door on the top) is much more economical than an upright, especially if the door is opened quite frequently. Awkward for those of short stature though... so Thais may not got on with them.

• Like 1

Do you have plenty of space in current refrigerator?  Often there is a shortage here as need to keep more items in rather than allow high temps and vermin attacks so second refrigerator/freezer might be worthwhile.  We keep three 18cf units full with an extended family (and several hotel size).

Believe defrosting may be an issue to be considered with small freezers but have not owned here.  As for buying in bulk at cheaper price - check that out as many things cost more here in larger size (makes no sense).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The more storage you have the more you will buy, the more you will eat, the fatter you will become. All in the name of saving a few baht.

Some people can exercise self restraint (not me... Not anymore, but anyway!)

• Like 1

I do not have now, but almost always had a chest freezer....It was always a valuable add....

I would have one now except my wife doesn't see a need....

Given that she keeps us going with fresh daily preparation it's been working....

If it were up to me we would have one....

Makro has a selection with decent pricing....

• Like 1

Don't Thai ladies like shopping - you'll just be buying it and stocking it up with more of what you don't need until it's full(it's on sale)  - and it'll stay there forever. Maybe then buy another once full as you have space.

Running costs will be higher than bulk buying savings for a small family.

Shopping trips won't diminish - and sometimes they're nice to get out of the house as a family ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Save money by buying less, also skip the junk, chocolate, crisps, nuts, pastries, cakes, biscuits, ice cream

It wouldn't be living without a trip to 7-11 for above said items. Al least you left off beer.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

To my knowledge there is no significant saving to be had "buying in bulk" here.

Yes, maybe "buying in bulk" isn't the best choice of words, but buying many kilos now, freezing them and then seeing the price of pork, chicken, shrimp, etc rise in the following weeks should add up to some sort of savings, no?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, warrima said:

LOL so true. We went from a single door fridge to a 2 door fridge/freezer. Now its full. Guess its like roads and carparks. 

Just like going from a 3 drawer pantry to a full size 2 door cupboard pantry.  Now everything is full.  I had the extra pantry built in just before the pandemic hit.....no wonder I gained 2 kg.........and now with making fresh sourdough bread....up to 10 km a day for my workouts...lol.

IME the freezer I bought many years ago was not all that useful. When one buys in bulk, the purchase also has to usually be thawed in bulk as well, then the rush is on to get it eaten before it spoils. Boring to be eating the same food three times in a row.

Shopping daily for fresh food gets me out of the condo, I would rather do that than worry about saving a few baht.

I suspect by the time the capital cost and running costs are combined, it takes quite a while to break even.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As for buying in bulk at cheaper price - check that out as many things cost more here in larger size (makes no sense).

Ain't that the truth.  I see that over and over at stores like Makro and Lotus's.  

Like at Lotus a case of big bottle Pepsi costs Bt325...a case consist of 12 bottles.  But buy the bottles at the individual price of Bt24 that means 12 bottles cost Bt288.  A Bt37 savings which equates to a over a 11% savings....I've been doing this for years. 

So, whenever I buy my Pepsi I still grab a case  but at check-out I have the checkout clerk ring it up as individual bottles....that is, scan the bar code of one bottle and enter 12 bottles bought.   The clerks have no issue in doing this as  many customers know buying individual items can often be cheaper that buying a case, in bulk, etc

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's why you break down the bulk into single use packages using freezer/butcher wrap paper or freezer bags.  Then you pull out what you need.

True enough, I did think it was a somewhat unhygienic procedure.

TBH, I have yet to find a frozen food that tastes as good as the corresponding fresh. Unless you buy frozen eye fillet, and fresh oysterblade.

• Haha 1

you can save buying discounted foods, close to expiry date, damaged packaging, end of line, special offers etc.

I am often buying them, all what is left on the shelf. Sometimes for up to 90% discount, usually around 50%. I would portion and freeze them, or cook in put into small containers for easy storage. Sometimes drying.

Sometimes give as presents to relatives, neighbours or needy.

There are also 3 dogs and 2 cats to feed, if is going to be spoiled - usually is cheaper, than quality animal food

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, bbko said:

Yes, maybe "buying in bulk" isn't the best choice of words, but buying many kilos now, freezing them and then seeing the price of pork, chicken, shrimp, etc rise in the following weeks should add up to some sort of savings, no?

If you want to store perishables, pork, chicken, shrimp long term you should also look at a vacum sealer to seal the meat in.

If you just freeze chicken or other meats in a plastic bag without vacuuming out the air and moisture your going to get freezer burn and the meat will be useless

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
21 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It wouldn't be living without a trip to 7-11 for above said items. Al least you left off beer.

Problem is they make you fat with the subsequent impact on health down the line, once a week works well

Only a problem if they're not eaten in moderation.  Anything that is over-indulged in will make you fat.

22 hours ago, bbko said:

with 2 adults and 2 children in the home

I'm same as above. 

No need for a freezer just get yourself a second fridge/freezer. 

I've got mine out the back, I fill with a few beers and the Mrs puts some of her food in it. The freezer is OK size for more frozen stuff. 

Food is cheap enough in Thailand, I wouldn't buy a freezer just to fill it with food. 

22 hours ago, bbko said:

Or will the rise in my electric bill negate the savings?

I always have a medium size chest freezer for convenience.

Costs about 2bht/day, enables me to buy boxes of frozen chips, frozen Cumberland sausages and bacon from Makro ...... electricity costs (2bht/day x 30) is compensated by driving to Makro in the pickup costs (10Km each way = 60bht)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some experts don't agree, carbs and fruit for example, difficult to eat the amount that makes you fat

I defy anybody to get fat on a diet of celery, bamboo and cucumber. Go ahead, stuff yourself. Zero carbs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I defy anybody to get fat on a diet of celery, bamboo and cucumber. Go ahead, stuff yourself. Zero carbs.

Precisely, often fruitarians are too skinny it seems. Hard to over eat carbs as you fill up, but chocolate, icecream and cake easy to keep eating

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Nope, not even close to correct: in each of these carbs is the major component.

One medium unpeeled, raw cucumber has the following:

A cup of chopped celery contains:

Half a cup of fresh bamboo slices contains approximately:

46 minutes ago, partington said:

Nope, not even close to correct: in each of these carbs is the major component.

One medium unpeeled, raw cucumber has the following:

A cup of chopped celery contains:

Half a cup of fresh bamboo slices contains approximately:

Those figures are misleading, as they are carbohydrates per 100 grams. If there's sugar, I sure can't taste it. Are you talking cooked bamboo, because i would have thought any sugar gets boiled out.

I've lost 5 kg in a month by getting rid of sugar, potatoes, carrots and rice. I allow myself a small amount of whole wheat bread and pasta. I'll stick to what I'm doing.

Sorry, off topic.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Precisely, often fruitarians are too skinny it seems. Hard to over eat carbs as you fill up, but chocolate, icecream and cake easy to keep eating

The sugar load in each of those three is quite astounding, sometimes 20%.

I look at the food labeling for the following word:

น้ำตาล - num tarn, or sugar in Thai.

There's hardly a packaged food in Thailand that does not have that on the label, no wonder the Thais had to buy up Australian sugar production to supplement their own.

Pure, white, and deadly.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

True enough, I did think it was a somewhat unhygienic procedure.

TBH, I have yet to find a frozen food that tastes as good as the corresponding fresh. Unless you buy frozen eye fillet, and fresh oysterblade.

I buy pork shoulder, Pork Loins and Chicken parts (Breasts,Thighs,Wings etc) in Bulk, and then break down the large package, I then grind my pork from the Shoulder and freeze 1/2 of a kg in each package which is then frozen, The remainder of the shoulder is cubed for use in curries and other dishes and sealed similarly.  The loin is cut into boneless chops 1/2" thick and packaged, as well as packaging a mix of a breast, thigh, and wings in a package as the family all likes different pieces.  Each package is basically meal sized.  The Shrimp we buy uncooked but deveined and shelled in a 2kg bag, but it is left whole as it is so easy to just open the package and take the few out that are needed.  Fish we buy whole and then I filet it and package it, most times we buy salmon already fileted and I pack it into freezer bags after cutting it into a meal sized portion.  

We do not freeze veggies, as frozen really is not good unless your making pies and soups that cook all day.

• Like 1