Land Prices in Isaan

Troy Tempest

49 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

" I thought I may ask you lot on TVF! :jap:

Respect, most I know personally, do not even follow their own advises when living in Thailand. They simply brake all rules they set for themselves and hope for the best! 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, KayDeeDee said:

275K  is a desent price for farm land  

Agree, as long there is chanote on the land. Farmland Por bor tor I would not give much more than 150k depending on where and infrastructure close by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

I agree 100%, but I know the family (after 11 years) and visited them many times!

They are wealthy in their own right!......And so is my girlfriend!

They do not need to "Stitch me UP" and I treat them as family which is reciprocated!...

And besides it is not me or any of my money involved!.....My GF simply asked me what I thought about it and so as well as other "Due Diligence" I thought I may ask you lot on TVF! :jap:

Ok.. up to you - - but if ever someone were to tell me the price was 7MM - BUT FOR YOU... 2MM

Well, it sounds like a way over the top sales pitch... what is the families relationship w/the landowner?

Or maybe if you overpay a little it is not that important... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Ok.. up to you - - but if ever someone were to tell me the price was 7MM - BUT FOR YOU... 2MM

Well, it sounds like a way over the top sales pitch... what is the families relationship w/the landowner?

Or maybe if you overpay a little it is not that important... 

It is not me buying!....It is potentially my GF!

She knows everyone and has BIG FAMILY on adjacent land!

I was only asking about the PRICE......Because she asked me "What you Think Teerak?"....:thumbsup:

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Like 1

The only thing that bothers me is you say it would be bought as an investment.

I would say 20 years a go yes,now not so good.

You might find plenty lining up to lease it,but to on sell may be more difficult.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

She is not asking me for any money before you start! :thumbsup:

Just wondering what do you think?

---I live Udon Thani troy--& Its not such a great bargain, Its sort of OK....but a little difficult to really tell as you are not giving exact details or any info, (does it front on main road--what is access to it, electric / water  etc etc ) more details would help....is it inside the proposed outer ring road that will be built to relive the amount of traffic heading to Laos. Is it anywhere near the proposed High Speed rail development.

Is it north of Udon = Good land ==West of Udon==  OK  South of Udon --- No not good---- East-- 50-50--- more detail. 

My friend just brought 11 Rai close to town 2 million--So,   the more I look the more I think....no...not so great.

Below is the government plan for the outer ring road---- if you want to PM  me I can give you a better assessment....

And...you never -Ever --pay the asking Price....But  all Thai's would know that.

Goverment plan for proposed outer ring road in Red & distance from --existing ring road in Black

image.png.eb40b9d11d4c9343a9dd343073dc914e.png

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

---I live Udon Thani troy--& Its not such a great bargain, Its sort of OK....but a little difficult to really tell as you are not giving exact details or any info, (does it front on main road--what is access to it, electric / water  etc etc ) more details would help....is it inside the proposed outer ring road that will be built to relive the amount of traffic heading to Laos. Is it anywhere near the proposed High Speed rail development.

Is it north of Udon = Good land ==West of Udon==  OK  South of Udon --- No not good---- East-- 50-50--- more detail. 

My friend just brought 11 Rai close to town 2 million--So,   the more I look the more I think....no...not so great.

Below is the government plan for the outer ring road---- if you want to PM  me I can give you a better assessment....

And...you never -Ever --pay the asking Price....But  all Thai's would know that.

Goverment plan for proposed outer ring road in Red & distance from --existing ring road in Black

image.png.eb40b9d11d4c9343a9dd343073dc914e.png

OP's map reference is Waritchaphum District, SN, Eastward off Rt22, about 100 kms away from Central Plaza.

Proposed ring rd ... so they still haven't done anything yet.   That was the proposal about 10 yrs ago also, as it (#2) was a few kms from our old house.  One reason not budging on price and still have the 1 lot of land in the area.  Make access to points S, W & N.  Well the game plan anyway.  Maybe not in my lifetime if haven't started.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

OP's map reference is Waritchaphum District, SN, Eastward off Rt22, about 100 kms away from Central Plaza.

Proposed ring rd ... so they still haven't done anything yet.   That was the proposal about 10 yrs ago also, as it (#2) was a few kms from our old house.  One reason not budging on price and still have the 1 lot of land in the area.  Make access to points S, W & N.  Well the game plan anyway.  Maybe not in my lifetime if haven't started.

Thanks again all for your input!

As I said it is my GF that may or might not buy.

Her Dad is elderley and no doubt she will inherit a large chunk of land one day in the adjacent plot that is currently on the market!

My gut feel is sit tight and wait and that is what I will tell her!......

She has 2 successful businesses on Samui already.........It's not like she needs the money!

We also have recently taken a lease of a property on the coast which she plans to sublet so I am not sure what she wants to do with all her money!

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Having a quick look on the site i provided without knowing the exact location.

Prices vary from 52,000 to 520,000 baht a rai. in that district.

• Like 1

Just now, farmerjo said:

Having a quick look on the site i provided without knowing the exact location.

Prices vary from 52,000 to 520,000 baht a rai. in that district.

Well that isn't a Great Help!......But thank you for your input!

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Proposed ring rd ... so they still haven't done anything yet.   

No KhunLA they spent a lot of money on an underpass/and an over pass and to widen & upgrade the existing ring road.  They then talked about a half ring road just to keep the trucks away from the town. Other people asking do we need it if we are to get the Rail--So who knows what direction it will take.

There is a tremendous amount of road/rail construction up around Nong Khai nearer to the Lao border.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's a good range.  Farmland that from from major metro isn't worth much.  If prepped to build and having, road, electric, water, then couple 100k per rai.  Hard sell unless someone retiring and really wants country living.

500+k, then it better be a perfect lot next the the lake out there.  Still too far from anything for me.  When I lived in Udon Thani, 3 different locations, all with 20 minutes or so of shopping, makes daily everyday living easy.   Now I can walk to 7-11 & Makro, if wanting, and to the surf.

Actually got use to everything close the past 5 yrs, and when moving just a few kms inward, I'll actually miss it, though enjoy the living environment better.  Out of milk, want some cheesecake or black forest cake, a beer, and only 5 minute stroll away.

Location location location

I will never live up there!

I love her family and it is always fun to visit....But I live by the Ocean on Samui ......I will never move except feet first in a box!

This is taken from my next door house.....I rent 2.....Just so I don't have to put up with <deleted> neighbours!

BTW I can give most people a short term let (within reason)....2-4 weeks max!

The ladyboy is not part of the deal!

Bay 1.jpg

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We bought 6 1/2 rai of Chanote land in Loei about 2 years ago. Paid 200k per rai.

It's elevated with incredible views of mountains, river, lakes, rice fields, etc. It has a paved road linked to the nearby main hwy and has electricity and water at the gate. About a month ago 4 rai on the other side of our road became available, but we couldn't get it for less than 250k per rai. 

Prices are growing as locals realize the long term value. Wifey is crooked at her drunken father who literally gave away land many years ago. He also failed to buy a big block on the hwy that was offered for 500 baht!  Those days are long gone. The wife cleverly bought several cheap parcels of land in the area over the years she was working in the south (never in a bar). She has around 20 rai in total. We still own our Phuket villa.

Apparently there is money available from big investors in the cities who are happy to pay to plant rubber on land owned by others on a shared profit basis. 

About 4 or 5 farms around us are in the process of switching to rubber.  Our next door neighbor who has bred cows for decades is thinning his stock and has plowed much of his pasture to plant the trees.

I think Isaan farming land is now a good investment as, in this changing world, Thais are realizing they need income later in life and are (re) turning to land..  The big problem is finding labour to work on the farms.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thank you for your reply.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "back fill"???

BTW have you considered lowering your price? :wink:

Times are Very Hard!.....For Poor People!

Poor people here have no chance whatsoever of buying land...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

And yet, they seem to own a lot of it ... ????

First village, I lived in, and first impression of all these poor people, houses not the best shape, unkept properties, no real furniture, not even running water ... etc etc etc.

But all owning 10-20-50 rai of farmland, and I believe most now have chanotes for.   Poor is very relative.

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

If they are 1st time buyers it would be very difficult.

18 years a go my wife bought 5 parcels of land which all join totaling 100 rai.

She paid an average of 11,500 per rai for the lot.

I would not like to come to Thailand now and buy any at today's prices.

Unless it was for a house block but not for farm land.

I reckon that is a fair price, assuming it is not a steep slope. Dryland rice paddies (with good access) might go for up to 350,000 Baht per Rai.  Poor access maybe 250,000 Baht per Rai on a good day. Paddies with good access to irrigation and all weather roads would start at 400,000 

Plantation lands should not need filling, but can be on steep slopes. Assuming it is flat enough for building, orchards or cropping, then 300,000 Baht per Rai for land remote from towns and associated development, but with good road and utility access is a fair price, in my view. 

• Like 1

2 million baht for 7 rai is 285.000 baht per rai. It might all depends of location, but chanote-title farmland might more likely be in the area down to 100.000 baht a rai when facing public road with electricity, but some locations might be more attractive than others. If the land is going to be used for farming, the price seems high (i.e. too high) from my point of view...:whistling:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, khunPer said:

2 million baht for 7 rai is 285.000 baht per rai. It might all depends of location, but chanote-title farmland might more likely be in the area down to 100.000 baht a rai when facing public road with electricity, but some locations might be more attractive than others. If the land is going to be used for farming, the price seems high (i.e. too high) from my point of view...:whistling:

To be true, farmland in general is underpriced many places, but that is another discussion. 

All depending on what you can grow in the area and how the distribution network are, or the are is being targeting by "rich Bangkok" people investing their under table commission in land in south, Isan or North. Also in some areas they speculate in coming infrastructure will make the land more worth in future.

Perhaps as a point of reference, even though I live in a different province (Chiang Mai) ...

In our village we can buy 5 rai of farm land (suitable for fruit trees and such, not rice) for about 1.3 million THB. A lady with money problems want to sell. Both me and my girlfriend though it was a good price, but we don't have the money right now, as we recently bought a smaller plot of land adjacent to our house, so we can make a nice garden.

We do kinda live in the sticks of Chiang Mai. However, from what I understand land in Chiang Mai might be more expensive compared to Isaan.

• Like 1

No mention of what the land is about. 

Is it an old rice field? is it next to a large factory? does it get flooded?

Is it solely in the name of the current Seller?

What can you do with it?

And the list goes on

The "rat" you can smell will surely surface if there is one! Hopefully not after you buy it!

• Haha 1

OK, I ask despite the danger of making me look stupid. You are talking about "farmland" all the time. Does this mean that no house may be build on it ? What I know from the west is what is called a zoning concept.

The quality of loom that I have seen so far is rather dirt then what looks like dark fruitful loom. Does "farmland" then mean that the highest highs is rice you may plant or manioc but that it is not suited for vegetable or fruits ?

Besides being able to build a house with all bells and whitles, electric, water etc. on it ?

Farmland, for me, usually means a parcel of land that usually needs backfull to bring up to, or above the grade / level of the road.  But not always of course, as we've looked at some parcels locally, pineapple fields, chopped up to be sold as lots, for whatever, usually house, and they were fine.

Seems rice especially will always be lower, simply because they need to be flooded during planting.  Sugar & corn to me always look a little low.  But it's all relative to the location, if land is level, or sloping valley.  Lots to consider, but if needing to be backfilled, then depending on the depth, and how many trucks of dirt to bring up to desired level, could get quite expensive. 

Zoning is more enforced in heavy metro areas & cities, though you are supposed to get any building approved beforehand.  There are plenty of code, rules & regulations, as anywhere.

Farmland can be anything and not necessery rice fields, the most important factor is infrastructure and title deeds. 

with title deeds comes the rules of what you can do or not do, and if land is just for farming purpose, or it is legaly yours or legaly for sale. 

However, every rule and law is been abused, so nobody really care anymore, but building on land without the proper land title can be a risk. In Thailand you get the official go from the village chief, and hope for the best. Thats what we did when we built on Por Bor Tor 5 and also drilled a borehole. 

3 years and still good ???? 

The short explanation of the different land titles translated to english. 

https://www.thaicontracts.com/articles/8-thai-law-isn-t-simple/34-land-titles-and-owneship-deeds.html#Por Bor Tor