Land Prices in Isaan

Troy Tempest

On 5/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, Troy Tempest said:

Does this price seem right?.....It seems very cheap to me so I smell a RAT

You can't expect us members to give you an informed reply with the little bit of information. 

Is it near a river (good for farmland) 

Near a main road

On a mountain 

Next to noisy neighbour's or crazy foreigner (lots of them in Thailand) 

Best you read all the comments, some good advice here and make your decision. 

Don't forget to factor in the many 'what if's' 

Good luck 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And yet, they seem to own a lot of it ... ????

First village, I lived in, and first impression of all these poor people, houses not the best shape, unkept properties, no real furniture, not even running water ... etc etc etc.

But all owning 10-20-50 rai of farmland, and I believe most now have chanotes for.   Poor is very relative.

The gov gave a lot of poor people the land that they were squatting on several decades ago. If you are landless poor now, on the wages that they'd get they have no chance of buying even half a rai at nowadays prices...

1 minute ago, zyphodb said:

The gov gave a lot of poor people the land that they were squatting on several decades ago. If you are landless poor now, on the wages that they'd get they have no chance of buying even half a rai at nowadays prices...

If they can afford a new motorbike, they can afford a piece of ground in rural area.  Poor people all over the world become millionaires.  The only thing stopping them from any success or financial freedom is themselves.

Plenty of opportunities, only limited by one's choices in life.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If they can afford a new motorbike, they can afford a piece of ground in rural area.  Poor people all over the world become millionaires.  The only thing stopping them from any success or financial freedom is themselves.

Plenty of opportunities, only limited by one's choices in life.

For once and only once I have to agree. The notion that an 8 hr day is all that's needed to live is why people stay poor. A new car vs an old car and the chance to own a home.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, CharlieH said:

That seem high to me, for farmland . @ 300k per rai  (approx)

Especially If its not bordered by a main route

i recently bought 2 Rai next to water its on the side of a main road.paid 1 million here in phetchabun is there that much difference between here and issaan prices

The land is flat and does not flood.

It was used for rubber before, but has been cleared.

It has rural road access, electricity supply and is 3-4K from nearest town (Waritchapum).

Her brother just bought land next door and is building a house there.

She does not plan to work the land and was simply interested in buying for long term incestment opportunity!

Thank you all for the many replies!

On 5/17/2022 at 3:09 PM, Troy Tempest said:

My major concern was that the price has been dropped from 7m to 2m....I know that when doing business in Thailand they like to haggle, but that is a massive drop!......Her Dad thinks it is a bargain!

The massive drop is sensibly explained by two different factors. The first is that the original asking price was vastly inflated and they were willing to wait and wait and wait until they got that price. The second factor is the point that they have money problems. The money problems could well involve gentleman on motorcycles and broken legs as a minimum. So the need for the fast sale at 2 million is easily explained. It’s unlikely that it would be able to be haggled down much below that, but still worth a try. Assuming that the chanote is available and that the transfer of money and title can be done  at the land office if your  SWMBO  likes the idea I see no reason to oppose it. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

24 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Been here 2 weeks now mate & I'm really struggling.

Im bored outa my nut ????

It's a challenge, and hard not to become an alky.   My daughter kept me busy, sort of, and out of town, so 2 daily school runs.   Which since in town, why not go to the night market, and eat.  Or the wife & I would have late lunch, before picking her up, and knock around town a bit.

Flew drones around, until law enacted.  Built and modified them as a hobby.  Had small pool at 2nd house for chillin' out.   2 rai yard to maintain, and still, was bored.   Now besides drones, RC cars & boats, pedal bike & ebike, all helps a bit, and sitting surfside, seems to be something moving to watch.

Again, it's a challenge.  You can do mini day trips, < 100 kms, and basically see everything of interest in the area.   Nice now, due to rainy / green season.   If in UT, pop up to Nong Khai, and you have the river, that moving things thingy seems to help, an some  to see riverside.

If located at PKK, even more of a challenge, as can really only go N & S, so day trips, and you've seen most of it, and TBH, it's a repeat of surfside view here and hills to the west  ... ????

In those 16 yrs @ UT, I covered all of Isan, and the rest of the county, during school break more than a few times around.  Stuck in the rental now, waiting for house build to be completed, then out again, just for the hell of it.

Actually enjoy just driving around, so that's a plus, see what's new, new coffee shop / pastry  / view, and any birds or critters to photograph.   Photography kept my busy for a while, but I can only take photos of the same species so many times.   So out & about exploring for new species helps.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56481061@N02/

It's a small A$$ country, relative to where from.  USA for me, so very small.

Good Luck

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

@KhunLA

Thankyou very much brother for your reply & apologies to the OP for going a little bit off topic.

I plan a weeks trip to Nong Khai next month - Only moved to Thailand last October, spent 2 months in Phuket & 5 months in Krabi - Came to my girlfriend's home in UD a few weeks ago - She has her own house, land & restaurant - The countryside is quite beautiful, but - Its BAF (boring as ?). Lovely, friendly people but sweet FA to do - 

Im really missing the sand, sea & beach - been to Samui 7 times & really love that Island - I have to be honest with myself & my gf, i cant live here - Maybe we will spend a few months back in Samui, then move to Krabi.

4 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Sorry, im in Udon Thani - but 45 minutes out of the city - Not familiar with the area - I think we are near Kutchap.

Kutchap, been there & through many times.  Almost bought land out there.

You been a regular visitor to UT area, and have you explored much, past or present ? ....

edit ... already answered.

Yea, compared to Phuket & Krabi, you'll be going nuts ... ????

Edited by KhunLA

15 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Im really missing the sand, sea & beach - been to Samui 7 times & really love that Island - I have to be honest with myself & my gf, i cant live here - Maybe we will spend a few months back in Samui, then move to Krabi.

Only thing that kept me in UT, was daughter, not blood or marriage, more village orphan, that I couldn't adopt, and couldn't leave the province with, so stuck there.  As soon as done HS, we be gone ... ????

Very on topic, as those thinking about settling anywhere, you really do need to rent for a year or 2, before buying into anything, anywhere.

We did school breaks, 3 months a year, mostly all points south.  Mostly Phuket 2X a year for 10 yrs running.  How we got to PKK as a pit stop on the way, and really liked it, since stopping here 2X 2X 10, enough visits.  Bought land here 6 yrs ago, been renting for 5 yrs, and now house almost done.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:
2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Very on topic, as those thinking about settling anywhere, you really do need to rent for a year or 2, before buying into anything, anywhere.

Excellent advice.

I'm 54, but i dont think I've seen any foreigners younger than me.

Lots of ol timers up here.

1 minute ago, RedArmy said:

Excellent advice.

I'm 54, but i dont think I've seen any foreigners younger than me.

Lots of ol timers up here.

I was 45 when I moved there, and youngest on the block.  Few year later I got displaced by a yank, retired from military.  Him 45 ish, me heading towards 50 .... basttard.  But yea, most were 10+ yrs senior to me.  More than a few passed on, with a few more knockin on the heaven's door.

We used to get together for monthly meet ups at the night market via local forum, but that all fell apart, where 10-15 people, got down to 4 after couple years... till none.????

One from Kutchap area, Tim & wife, mushroom farmer.  Very nice Aussie, and one I could actually understand when talking with.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

It's a challenge, and hard not to become an alky.   My daughter kept me busy, sort of, and out of town, so 2 daily school runs.   Which since in town, why not go to the night market, and eat.  Or the wife & I would have late lunch, before picking her up, and knock around town a bit.

Flew drones around, until law enacted.  Built and modified them as a hobby.  Had small pool at 2nd house for chillin' out.   2 rai yard to maintain, and still, was bored.   Now besides drones, RC cars & boats, pedal bike & ebike, all helps a bit, and sitting surfside, seems to be something moving to watch.

Again, it's a challenge.  You can do mini day trips, < 100 kms, and basically see everything of interest in the area.   Nice now, due to rainy / green season.   If in UT, pop up to Nong Khai, and you have the river, that moving things thingy seems to help, an some  to see riverside.

If located at PKK, even more of a challenge, as can really only go N & S, so day trips, and you've seen most of it, and TBH, it's a repeat of surfside view here and hills to the west  ... ????

In those 16 yrs @ UT, I covered all of Isan, and the rest of the county, during school break more than a few times around.  Stuck in the rental now, waiting for house build to be completed, then out again, just for the hell of it.

Actually enjoy just driving around, so that's a plus, see what's new, new coffee shop / pastry  / view, and any birds or critters to photograph.   Photography kept my busy for a while, but I can only take photos of the same species so many times.   So out & about exploring for new species helps.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56481061@N02/

It's a small A$$ country, relative to where from.  USA for me, so very small.

Good Luck

Some can stay city or in a tourist place and thrive, I rather stay in Isan, and can take part of the life elsewhere going on holiday and it feels like holiday. We built a mini farm on 4 rai land surrounded with forrest and rice fields, with 3 dogs, one we bought from pupy, one grown stray dog and one puppy, a cat, 3 sheep, built a complete gym, with air conditioning, olympia standard weights, 4 multifunction machines, treadmill, outside heavy bag and boxing ball, 4 motorbikes + an atv, and two paddle boards . 

A man need something to do, thats what it is all about. If I was living elsewhere, I would get bored of daily life doing nothing. But it is great to visit, and when I get older, I might move to more convenient places to live, but the personal freedom you have and feel outside cities or tourist areas is something you can not buy for money, since it is a very individual feeling 

I feel trapped between neighbors when it gets to tight, and growing and breeding your own food? Priceless and for sure in future I believe more people will seek out countryside to make a decent good living. We start to see the changes in Europe as well where cheep farm land starts to be hard to get. 

Except from Isan Portugal still got cheep land for sale, and if you plan to move there in the future, now its the time to buy land. 

This is destinations made only during covid from February 2020 - February 2022. 

4505DBEB-6CE8-455E-B1CF-81375602CB56.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, Troy Tempest said:

The land is flat and does not flood.

It was used for rubber before, but has been cleared.

It has rural road access, electricity supply and is 3-4K from nearest town (Waritchapum).

Her brother just bought land next door and is building a house there.

She does not plan to work the land and was simply interested in buying for long term incestment opportunity!

Thank you all for the many replies!

only way that you will get any "incestment opportunities is to build a short time motel

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Some can stay city or in a tourist place and thrive, I rather stay in Isan, and can take part of the life elsewhere going on holiday and it feels like holiday. 

An issue I'm having now.  Since we live where we used to holiday, now where do we go to holiday ????

Certainly not the worst problem to have, but part of my life experience, is / was, planning holidays.  Now we're beyond halfway there.  As Krung Thep and points south were our holiday destination.  No longer a fan of N & NE, though did pop up and around both during covid, and was lovely to do so.

Actually did it twice, along with 4 loops around the south, during covid, so our travels sort of resemble your map ... ????

Been idle 6 months waiting on the house build, to get done, move in, then leave ... ????

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

An issue I'm having now.  Since we live where we used to holiday, now where do we go to holiday ????

Can always come holiday in UT - breakfast is on me ????

download.jpeg-1.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2022 at 11:31 AM, Old Croc said:

We bought 6 1/2 rai of Chanote land in Loei about 2 years ago. Paid 200k per rai.

It's elevated with incredible views of mountains, river, lakes, rice fields, etc. It has a paved road linked to the nearby main hwy and has electricity and water at the gate. About a month ago 4 rai on the other side of our road became available, but we couldn't get it for less than 250k per rai. 

Prices are growing as locals realize the long term value. Wifey is crooked at her drunken father who literally gave away land many years ago. He also failed to buy a big block on the hwy that was offered for 500 baht!  Those days are long gone. The wife cleverly bought several cheap parcels of land in the area over the years she was working in the south (never in a bar). She has around 20 rai in total. We still own our Phuket villa.

Apparently there is money available from big investors in the cities who are happy to pay to plant rubber on land owned by others on a shared profit basis. 

About 4 or 5 farms around us are in the process of switching to rubber.  Our next door neighbor who has bred cows for decades is thinning his stock and has plowed much of his pasture to plant the trees.

I think Isaan farming land is now a good investment as, in this changing world, Thais are realizing they need income later in life and are (re) turning to land..  The big problem is finding labour to work on the farms.

Also in Loei been offered 8 rai for 2m, chanote land, level with farm road has electric and water. Monk owns it and its got palm trees on it (any idea of what it could rent for per rai ?) 

1 hour ago, LoeiI said:

Also in Loei been offered 8 rai for 2m, chanote land, level with farm road has electric and water. Monk owns it and its got palm trees on it (any idea of what it could rent for per rai ?) 

Sorry, no.

I am being asked to look at a lot in/near Rayong. They want 2.3 million and it's 1.3 Rai (1900 SQM?) so about 1200/SQM. Klaeng District. There are some fruit trees it and has a pond. Roads all around. Not much to go on, a relative lives in Rayong and she's going to look at it. From my first checks it looks to be in the right price range. I've seen larger lots on DD for about the same price like 14 Rai for THB 30,000,000. 

I am digging for more info now. Thanks TV/Aseannow.

1 hour ago, Tango777 said:

I am being asked to look at a lot in/near Rayong. They want 2.3 million and it's 1.3 Rai (1900 SQM?) so about 1200/SQM. Klaeng District. There are some fruit trees it and has a pond. Roads all around. Not much to go on, a relative lives in Rayong and she's going to look at it. From my first checks it looks to be in the right price range. I've seen larger lots on DD for about the same price like 14 Rai for THB 30,000,000. 

I am digging for more info now. Thanks TV/Aseannow.

A good area for durian and mangosteen. 

We woke up this morning (in the States) and it's sold! Hummin, you're right of course about the Durian/Mangostein. It has about 20 small Durians growing already and a bunch of other fruit. 100 Km from Rayong though, is it really supposed to cost 68K USD for half an acre (1.3 Rai)? That seems like maybe I'm not doing the math right. 68K buys a lot of land if it's an hour out of any town here.