How Do You Conceal Your Wealth in Thailand

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Those that actially have money rarely need to show it.

Those that want to give the impression they have it rarely do.

it should SAY they who have little money want to give the impression  there Rich you see them every day  

Prefer projecting average or poor, as cheaper, and people don't try to over charge you.  Easy to do, if simply dressing for comfort.  Petty hard to look flash in shorts, cotton shirt & sandals.   Way too hot to break out the silks & kashmirs, as they simply don't breathe and never gets cool enough to wear any more, since moving from Udon Thani.

Don't have any 'wealth' kept here in Thailand. Seems foolish to do so. My wealth is in my property back in the UK and a transfer each month to live on.

To be honest the way my wife dresses when we go out, in jeans, a jacket, flips flops and a straw hat, I imagine any hidden thief would just put the leaves back and wait for other richer pickings

• Haha 2

What wealth ?

Owning two older imported vehicles from the Czech Republic keeps my credit cards near their limits !!

If the two vehicles were german imports the Thai's would think Iam loaded... instead they think I am a pauper not even able to afford a decent Thai built saloon.

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Prefer projecting average or poor, as cheaper, and people don't try to over charge you.  Easy to do, if simply dressing for comfort.  Petty hard to look flash in shorts, cotton shirt & sandals.   Way too hot to break out the silks & kashmirs, as they simply don't breathe and never gets cool enough to wear any more, since moving from Udon Thani.

Shouldn't be too hard hiding wealth while driving an MG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Shouldn't be too hard hiding wealth while driving an MG

I'm on the e-scooter more than in the MG.  Can't afford petrol ... ????

Buying the MG was a stretch as it was, 700k to go from point A to B.  As happy as I am with the MG, that's just a silly priced machine, as most are, and the MG being the best value for us.

And to think I'm going EV next year probably, and probably a 1m baht damn machine.   That's just silly.  Only because in the long run, it's a great investment.  Never was a car person.

Had some expensive hobbies, but unless in the hobby, don't think you'd realize how much it cost for the smiles they gave me.  Most would think a total waste of money, but not for me and the smiles.

Other's get that with their vehicles, not me, as thrifty & practical when it comes to transport machines.  Went high end for the e-scooter when I didn't have to, only because I'm too lazy to plug it in every day ... ????  

I used to get a kick out giving my ATM cards to Poseidon teenage models to withdraw from ATM so that they could see my remaining balance in million Baht. I did not own a car in Thailand but used to  rent Q condo in Sukhumvit for 90K/month. Made pregnant a 19-year old Poseidon model after enjoying her flowery body for a year. Bought her a two bedroom condo in Pattaya before I left Thailand. She still have my ATM card to withdraw 20K/month for her up keep. 

I go to considerable lengths to hide or at least not broadcast how well I eat. I live in a poor rural area. Nobody's starving, but some people definitely have poor diets, and I do sometimes feel guilty about how well I eat.

If people ever looked in my refrigerators and freezers or saw how much food was in my food pantry, I'm certain they would be shocked and gossip about it, possibly even generating criminal interest.

Partly because of this, I do most of my shopping at big box retailers which are 100 km away, unload the groceries discretely, and even take steps to make sure food packaging is incinerated completely so as to not leave any clues about how well I eat.

Aside from my diet, my lifestyle is very much in line with the low-key/low flash lifestyles of everyone else. I also sometimes give away vegetables and fruit from my gardens, and baked goods (oatmeal cookies/banana nut bread) to neighbor kids.

Because the closest big supermarkets are 100 km away, I tend to make mega grocery purchases every 3-4 months, almost always running up totals between 20-30K. This has sometimes attracted comments, but never anything overtly envious or resentful. But just yesterday at Big C the family behind me at the checkout counter was really transfixed and agog at my purchases laid out on the conveyor belt. For the first time, I felt this 'must be nice to afford to shop like that' vibe. For some reason, the security guard also photographed my receipt, and maybe I'm missing something, but I wondered whether he was going to post it on social media as an example of how 'high on the hog' foreigners live.

With everyone grappling with inflation these days, it's probably best to keep a low profile and lend a helping hand when you can.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I used to get a kick out giving my ATM cards to Poseidon teenage models to withdraw from ATM so that they could see my remaining balance in million Baht. I did not own a car in Thailand but used to  rent Q condo in Sukhumvit for 90K/month. Made pregnant a 19-year old Poseidon model after enjoying her flowery body for a year. Bought her a two bedroom condo in Pattaya before I left Thailand. She still have my ATM card to withdraw 20K/month for her up keep. 

Only 20k a month, do you hate your child and its mother ?

23 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I go to considerable lengths to hide or at least not broadcast how well I eat. I live in a poor rural area. Nobody's starving, but some people definitely have poor diets, and I do sometimes feel guilty about how well I eat.

If people ever looked in my refrigerators and freezers or saw how much food was in my food pantry, I'm certain they would be shocked and gossip about it, possibly even generating criminal interest.

Partly because of this, I do most of my shopping at big box retailers which are 100 km away, unload the groceries discretely, and even take steps to make sure food packaging is incinerated completely so as to not leave any clues about how well I eat.

Aside from my diet, my lifestyle is very much in line with the low-key/low flash lifestyles of everyone else. I also sometimes give away vegetables and fruit from my gardens, and baked goods (oatmeal cookies/banana nut bread) to neighbor kids.

Because the closest big supermarkets are 100 km away, I tend to make mega grocery purchases every 3-4 months, almost always running up totals between 20-30K. This has sometimes attracted comments, but never anything overtly envious or resentful. But just yesterday at Big C the family behind me at the checkout counter was really transfixed and agog at my purchases laid out on the conveyor belt. For the first time, I felt this 'must be nice to afford to shop like that' vibe. For some reason, the security guard also photographed my receipt, and maybe I'm missing something, but I wondered whether he was going to post it on social media as an example of how 'high on the hog' foreigners live.

With everyone grappling with inflation these days, it's probably best to keep a low profile and lend a helping hand when you can.

I spent 7 yrs in deep Isaan on a part time rotation, because I was a part timer other family took over. Lack of privacy was one of my peeves, I take it you've got a locked wall surrounding the house. I didn't and neighbors walked through house like it was there's. Moved 600 km away and now I can splurge as I want without prying eyes.

Having to hide MT packages is not normal but I can relate. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No. YOU Were thinking about her previous  employment and thinking about what other people  were thinking - yu tink  tu mut-

No, it was Mrs.Trans thoughts/words, I don't speak or understand Thai.......????

Did I touch a nerve, is your bird covered in gold....?  ????

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I spent 7 yrs in deep Isaan on a part time rotation, because I was a part timer other family took over. Lack of privacy was one of my peeves, I take it you've got a locked wall surrounding the house. I didn't and neighbors walked through house like it was there's. Moved 600 km away and now I can splurge as I want without prying eyes.

We have neighbors coming to the house to play cards, they usually camp in the guest house.

The only person who comes into the sanctum sanctorum of my lounge room is my GF's brother, and even he knocks first.

I am about twice the size of most villagers, and am quite good at the mad stare if needed, so I do not get bothered by them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The supply of wealthy farangs posting on ASEAN is inexhaustible.

My question is, what are you doing here, and why do you need to impress people with your wealth when you will never see them?

You're probably lucky one of those Poseidon models did not slit your throat, money brings out the worst in people.

• Haha 1

All of my "wealth" and earnings are in property here and abroad (I say mine but the property in Thailand is in the name of the wife and kids).

I give myself a "stipend" of about 50k baht per month which covers clothes and going out in town, no flashy car in Thailand as it would only get damaged and I object to paying 2-3 times what I would pay for the same elsewhere.

Have a lot of old friends from bars and we go for lunch, dinner etc. but nothing excessive. If I have to stay over it is a medium business hotel like the Holiday inn or Novotel.

Polo shirt and jeans mostly - no jewelry or watch.

Of course when I have to go to meetings and abroad the suit goes back on and the original Strela watch and check into the higher-end hotels used by the conferences - like Marina Bay.

You dress to fit in

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't have any 'wealth' kept here in Thailand. Seems foolish to do so. My wealth is in my property back in the UK and a transfer each month to live on.

To be honest the way my wife dresses when we go out, in jeans, a jacket, flips flops and a straw hat, I imagine any hidden thief would just put the leaves back and wait for other richer pickings

That's me, on my way to Central.
I always hide 500 baht.

Never was asked to support a big family, send a sick buffalo to surgery or build a house.

57C38DD6-13D3-4A0D-9E10-988BECDF086C.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And to think I'm going EV next year probably, and probably a 1m baht damn machine.   That's just silly.  Only because in the long run, it's a great investment.  Never was a car person.

EV's are much cheaper than ICE's in terms of fuel costs, for sure. There are some problems with the length of time it takes to refuel compared to an ICE, and the reliability of charging stations. In California, apparently 25% of recharging stations are out of commission at any time.

If you think you are saving the planet by buying an EV, think again. The probabilities are tilted towards you getting your electrons from a dirty, coal-fired power station.

Investments are items which produce income, and/or appreciate in value. I don't know how vehicles fit those criteria.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In California, apparently 25% of recharging stations are out of commission at any time.

If you think you are saving the planet by buying an EV,

Investments are items which produce income, and/or appreciate in value. I don't know how vehicles fit those criteria.

Good thing I don't live in CA.

I don't think I'm saving the planet, or trying to, as the planet doesn't need saving.  The planet is fine.  Humans may not be able to live on the planet in 1 or 200 yrs, but, I won't be here, so I don't care.

Energy to power the EVs & house, will be coming from solar, so that's mute subject.

If one product cost less to operate than a different version of the same product, I'd say that's a ROI,   Investments don't have to appreciate or produce income, just be more beneficial than the alternative.  EVs are just that, and savings over the alternative, ICE, so a wise investment.

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

We have neighbors coming to the house to play cards, they usually camp in the guest house.

The only person who comes into the sanctum sanctorum of my lounge room is my GF's brother, and even he knocks first.

I am about twice the size of most villagers, and am quite good at the mad stare if needed, so I do not get bothered by them.

I have a second floor on the end of building end of land where only me and my gf using, and the others at the other end of the house where the kitchen is. My best decision when building my long house.

But no drinking or card playing and we'll behaved family so no need of mad face. 

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Those are your running costs, they say nothing about vehicle depreciation, not to mention what it will cost in replacement when the batteries cark it. I'd venture to say a lot more than the engine and gearbox of an ICE.

The general rule of thumb is, the more expensive a vehicle, the bigger the yearly depreciation.

Perhaps you were not paying attention when the difference between an appreciating asset and a depreciating asset was explained in economics class.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If one product cost less to operate than a different version of the same product, I'd say that's a ROI,   Investments don't have to appreciate or produce income, just be more beneficial than the alternative.  EVs are just that, and savings over the alternative, ICE, so a wise investment.

I suggest you try selling a ten yo EV against a ten yo ICE before making that assertion.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I suggest you try selling a ten yo EV against a ten yo ICE before making that assertion.

A ten yr old ICE won't be worth much, but the EV, will be worth more. IMHO.  Battery still at 80%, and the motor surely have another 180k kms on them.  Charging by solar, and almost free to operate.  

Can you say that about the ICE ?

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A ten yr old ICE won't be worth much, but the EV, will be worth more. IMHO.  Battery still at 80%, and the motor surely have another 180k kms on them.  Charging by solar, and almost free to operate.  

Can you say that about the ICE ?

Battery at 80% after ten years? LOL, you are believing the manufacturer's advertising.

About 9 years ago, I bought a 2006 Toyota Vios for 230,000 baht. Spent 20,000 baht on decent tires, and other bits and pieces.. Since then, routine maintenance. It has 175,000 km  on the clock. Probably worth 70,000 baht now. My mechanic says it's probably good for another 5 years.

By my calculations, depreciation is 20,000 baht/year. Good luck with getting a million baht EV that has the same depreciation cost.

There is some very minor curiosity among my staff regarding my wealth, but by and large nobody really cares one way or the other. Most people have their own lives and issues, so haven't the time to consider things like this. Paying their own bills, taking care of the family, or making a new TikTok video occupies most of their time.

I have never been into conspicuous consumption, and the very few finer things I might choose to have in Thailand would be unrecognizable to anyone looking for a target. A thief here wouldn't know the difference between a $200 suit & shirt from a Sukhumvit Sikh vs a bespoke Brioni and a Stefano Ricci. No need to hide.

As for dangers, unless a foreigner is bloated, tatted, unkempt, wears wife beater t-shirts and starts knocking back his first beer at 10am, the bad guys probably assume all foreigners have bazillions somewhere, so anyone who does have significant wealth is just a member of a very large demographic, and odds are slight he will ever be a target. Because elite Thais tend toward being dismissive and arrogant, bad guys probably assume wealthy foreigners would behave similarly. Be friendly and polite to everyone, and one doesn't stand out.

Thailand is pretty safe unless one goes out of one's way to be a victim. I have lived in countries where I was wise to have security, a safe room in my residence, and a vehicle with armor plating, bullet proof windows, a couple of MK18s, and some other things that made it a moving refuge, but in Thailand everyone is fairly anonymous and of little interest to anyone. On this site we're all anonymous. We can relax, pauper or prince.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Battery at 80% after ten years? LOL, you are believing the manufacturer's advertising.

By my calculations, depreciation is 20,000 baht/year. Good luck with getting a million baht EV that has the same depreciation cost.

That's what the warranty states, and that's what it WILL be at 180k kms or 8 yrs, or they'll make is so.  Probably 8 yrs, as don't see putting 180k on it.  And wouldn't sell it anyway, as will run for another 8 yrs at minimal cost charged up with solar.

Not that I'll be around in 16 yrs, but the wife can knock around town in it.

20k a year depreciation ... that extremely optimistic, and would think closer to 50-100k a year, depending make/model.

Edited by KhunLA

22 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Thailand is pretty safe unless one goes out of one's way to be a victim. I have lived in countries where I was wise to have security, a safe room in my residence, and a vehicle with armor plating, bullet proof windows, a couple of MK18s, and some other things that made it a moving refuge, but in Thailand everyone is fairly anonymous and of little interest to anyone. On this site we're all anonymous. We can relax, pauper or prince.

M take on life in Thailand is one can only get into trouble if they go looking for it.