Jump to content

How Do You Conceal Your Wealth in Thailand


Recommended Posts

Not regarding banking, just in your life in general.

Obviously not wearing gold jewelry or a real Rolex etc.

But do you drive a more modest car / motorbike than you're able to afford, purchased a smaller condo?

The perception is always there we are wealthy for most.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Like others normal day to day is shorts, t shirt and slides nothing to prove.

  Out the village we have a modest home obviously compared to some/most in the village we would be considered wealthy.

  In town where we live in our little gated community no matter how much I attempted to flex it would be redundant. Suffice to say no need to conceal my wealth, it would be fair to say my Thai neighbours are far wealthier than me going by the sheer number of luxury cars in the joint. Some I could afford but would never purchase here, some that are light years put of my league (lambo anyone?) Meanwhile I'm still rolling in my hilux, again nothing to prove, and nothing to conceal. Bit of a bizarre concept tbh. 

 

Edited by starky
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

 I don't think it's really smart to be too flashy in a place like Thailand but I don't go too far with it, because if you walk around looking like trash you'll be treated like dirt by many Thais.

It's not difficult to dress well cheaply. My GF loves the secondhand stores, that's where my clothes come from. I'm certainly better dressed than many foreigners wearing sandals and wifebeaters. I nearly said thongs, but that's Australian for a form of footwear, and probably would bewilder some non-Australians.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can afford pretty much anything, within reason, but being practical, thrifty spender, I've never gone the 'flash' route.   I look no more wealthier than your normal, non flash Thai in a new < 1m baht car.

 

Dress for comfort, so definitely not mistaken for Hi-so.  Crime really isn't a concern, if using common sense.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I can afford pretty much anything, within reason, but being practical, thrifty spender, I've never gone the 'flash' route.   I look no more wealthier than your normal, non flash Thai in a new < 1m baht car.

 

Dress for comfort, so definitely not mistaken for Hi-so.  Crime really isn't a concern, if using common sense.  

A mugger doesn't......😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not so sure that's so true with Asians. I see quite a lot of ostentatious displays of genuine wealth around my area, guys driving around in brand new Bentley's, Lambourghini's wrapped in some hideous colour etc.

 

Some do, some don't. Know very wealthy Thai people who walk around in shorts and drive an old motorcycle, others drive in 30 million thb cars.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not so sure that's so true with Asians. I see quite a lot of ostentatious displays of genuine wealth around my area, guys driving around in brand new Bentley's, Lambourghini's wrapped in some hideous colour etc.

 

It does make me laugh when the pretenders start acting like they are loaded though. I rode my electric mountain bike to a local shop recently to buy some takeaway, as I'm waiting for the food outside holding the bike some middle aged woman pulled up in a 10-15 year old BMW and looked down her nose at me like I was some kind of peasant who couldn't afford a car or even a motorbike, hence the 'pushbike'. If I had to guess, I'd say she wasn't a wealthy individual, probably in mountains of debt to keep up appearances. 

 

Personally, I try to hold the middle ground. I do have a few toys, mainly nice motorbikes (although not all kept at the same home) but generally I live well within my means, drive a Camry instead of a European import etc. I don't think it's really smart to be too flashy in a place like Thailand but I don't go too far with it, because if you walk around looking like trash you'll be treated like dirt by many Thais.

I see some "flash" cars at a hotel near where I live but the paint jobs are really ordinary and tbh I can't see the difference between them and a standard car. the most garish I've seen was a yellow 911 Carrera and even that was a pretty boring shade. I'd be mightily peeved if it was mine and that's what turned up.

 

I guess I'll have to travel further afield to see the hideous colors, where are you located? 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do want to look rich, just let the car remote hang from your pocket.

 

It works, just ask any Thai male.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Reposed said:

If you do want to look rich, just let the car remote hang from your pocket.

 

 

.....like Transam............🤓....................🤭

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in a shop house on a normal soi in an unfashionable southern city, no car, no flashy clothes, no airs or graces.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Those that actially have money rarely need to show it.

Those that want to give the impression they have it rarely do.

 

 

I'm not showing you anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Some do, some don't. Know very wealthy Thai people who walk around in shorts and drive an old motorcycle, others drive in 30 million thb cars.

That's surprising. I've known quite a few wealthy Thais and none of them drive old motorbikes. One of them has a new Yamaha Fino which he occasionally uses to get to the office building that he rents out but only because that is 50 metres from his large deatched home. He also has 2 new European Sedans which him and his wife uses for everything else (she wouldn't be seen dead on a motorbike).

 

It's very unusual for a wealthy Thai to conceal their wealth. I did know a multi-millionaire English guy back in my home town who used to drive around in a 20 year old rusty beaten up Escort van, but even he had a brand new 3 series BMW for the weekends. I've never known it here, in fact most of them are all too happy to tell you if they are from a wealthy family etc.

 

I've known a couple of Thais who are land rich (30-40 million Baht worth of land in a good location) who appeared poor, but that was because all their money was tied up in the land and they genuinely didn't have a ton of cash lying around. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I see some "flash" cars at a hotel near where I live but the paint jobs are really ordinary and tbh I can't see the difference between them and a standard car. the most garish I've seen was a yellow 911 Carrera and even that was a pretty boring shade. I'd be mightily peeved if it was mine and that's what turned up.

 

I guess I'll have to travel further afield to see the hideous colors, where are you located? 😂

I tend to see them in a part of Ladprao that I have cause to frequent. Quite a few uber wealthy Thais in that area, Yingluck has/had a home there (crawling with Army now) and Prawit's house is just around the corner.

 

Bright orange and lime green seems popular for the Lambourghinis but I've also seen baby pink on Porsche SUV's 😆.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an issue I've had to deal with. Once I even encountered a rich cheeky Muscovite brat on a baht bus who offered to pay my fare.

Link to post
Share on other sites

drive a 16 year old car ,never bothered to change it as i like it ,it looks and drives great ,we do have rather a nice house on a private estate ,but all our Thai neighbours are much richer than us ,we do have cash in the bank and live a nice normal life ,same as we did when we lived in the UK.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I tend to see them in a part of Ladprao that I have cause to frequent. Quite a few uber wealthy Thais in that area, Yingluck has/had a home there (crawling with Army now) and Prawit's house is just around the corner.

 

Bright orange and lime green seems popular for the Lambourghinis but I've also seen baby pink on Porsche SUV's 😆.

oh thanks I'll mosey on over later 😉. haven't seen a Lambo for a few weeks and this one was all they could come up with. sorry but that paint job does nothing for me.

 

 

20220503_195257.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in a renovated village house which looks a bit tatty on the outside, but is cozy within. Our house is open all hours and I never have any concerns about our safety or security.

 

I cover the new motorcycle (my Aerox) and leave the 7 year old Click on the drive. We don't have a car. If we need to do any lugging, there are a couple of obliging relatives who we can rent out by the hour and are grateful for the income.

 

We're not 'hiding wealth' by the way. This is the way we are and we're quite content with it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A very good question- but it applies in the UK too. Don't boast of wealth, don't flaunt  wealth especially  on social  media. Watches, jewellery etc. Be aware of local  villains. Mention  your debts not  your success. It's not that difficult to hire a torture  and kidnapping gang in London plus there are lots of independent  operators- currently  wealthy footballers are being robbed by torture  gangs  in Britain. The OP presented a good question and hopefully  people can learn from it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...