At last -Moving to Thailand but advice required.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Apparently not.

You gave advice about requirements for non O retirement.

Not required.

Did you miss his #2 question in the OP?

16 hours ago, woodsplinter said:

2- Would it be better with a 60 day visa giving enough time to apply for a retirement visa.  I can get an extra 30 days visa in Jomtien.

• Like 1

Your better off getting some kind.of visa in UK as if you want a.marrige extension it can only be issued on a visa not 30 day, normal a single entry non o, otherwise you will need an agent this side for all the hassle of getting a non 0 then after that getting an extension of stay based on marrige.

You can get a retirement EOA and i belive as you are married its still the same money 400k as apposed to 800 if you aint, i could be wrong 

You ex wife must be nice if after 20 years divorced she carrying bags for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

Howerde and Ubon joe 

I do not know how i missed that requirement. Never heard off this before.. Thanks for the links --Got a list off translators now.

Trying to stay calm as its doing my head in..

Right -I have to look into this.

Thanks to all you guys for giving me the time, knowledge and advice with this one.

Now looking at a throw away flight to Vietnam..

Thanks to all guys for your help. Not finished yet..

Ubon Joe and Dr Jack 

I have taken note about the marriage certificate and to get it legislated.

Did not know anything about that. 

My wife retires in 2 days time after 20 years and more with Asda.

Going away party on Sunday night.

After that we have couple off weeks spare. Other things to do..

Looking into this now and reluctantly maybe have to send her back down to the Thai embassy in London 

I have not told her yet .That will please her!

Thks guys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bbko said:

Did you miss his #2 question in the OP?

Geez. Read his point 4.

The op is misusing the term "retirement visa"...

"4- I did not want to use an agent but if i do can a retirement visa based on marriage be done in the first 30 days in Pattaya.".

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

I am getting more confused now.

If i can get the British Marriage certificate whatever needs done -done here in the uk before leaving for Thailand sort out my dummy onward flight and then use an agent in Pattaya.

Would that work.????

Help??

14 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

-done here in the uk before leaving for Thailand sort out my dummy onward flight and then use an agent in Pattaya

There nothing to sort out for onward flight. 

I just checked Bangkok to Saigon (as I also planing that trip) 1500baht one way.

Pay online instant confirmation.

As mentioned google "onward flight" and companies provide rent a ticket service. That's an option. 

As for agent in Pattaya. Yes there are plenty but not of much use for non O marriage and extension.

You can do it yourself. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

I am getting more confused now.

If i can get the British Marriage certificate whatever needs done -done here in the uk before leaving for Thailand sort out my dummy onward flight and then use an agent in Pattaya.

Would that work.????

Help??

If an agent is an option for you, retirement visa would solve your problem. No more need to worry about proof of income, or other delicate document proof. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If an agent is an option for you, retirement visa would solve your problem. No more need to worry about proof of income, or other delicate document proof. 

He can place 400k each year in bank for 3 months and then use the money. Simple.

Income method is only one option. 

Extension based on marriage money in bank is not difficult.

Cost 1900baht. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

No more need to worry about proof of income, or other delicate document proof. 

I don't think an agent could arrange for a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry that is required to apply for a extension based upon marriage.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I don't think an agent could arrange for a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry that is required to apply for a extension based upon marriage.

I wrote retirement based on income and age of course, not marriage. 

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

He was suggesting the OP use an agent for non O retirement and subsequent extension

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He can place 400k each year in bank for 3 months and then use the money. Simple.

Income method is only one option. 

Extension based on marriage money in bank is not difficult.

Cost 1900baht. 

For him the difficulty is the paperwork and problem legalizing his marriage documents in time before he leave UK. And if he is going to use an agent, why not go the easiest road and do retirement. Less hassle with retirement than marriage, where only documentation from  will be proof of address, and the rest the agent take care of. 

Even better top up his account with 400k and do retirement visa himself. I understand he is stressing now, and it seems to much right now before getting there, but I believe either agent or not depending on he got the money retirement is the easiest solution.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

Since you are still the UK getting the your marriage certificate should not be that hard to do. It can mostly be done by mail.

It is possible to final step at the Thai embassy by mai if you wife talks to them about it. Info for the legalization is here in Thai. https://london.thaiembassy.org/th/page/82035-นิติกรณ์?menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000730d

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

.....but I believe either agent or not depending on he got the money retirement is the easiest solution.

For sure.

I'm not married and I just leave 800k+ in dedicated account for extensions based on retirement.

The point is I would do that even if I was married. 

Such a breeze for extensions based on retirement using money in bank method.

Think use of agent is a separate matter. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Correct me if i am wrong -visa based on marriage 400k in the bank in your own name-more paperwork- no insurance required.

Retirement visa 800k and insurance required. Less paperwork.Need medical  insurance

I will be 70 next month and uninsurable. I have the finances to self insure.

I am not willing to leave 800k in a Thai bank especially as the Thai banks reduced there liability from 5 million baht to 1 million baht compensation if financial collapse.

There has been warning signs in the last few weeks about Thai banks and the high debts the banks own.

Do not say it cannot happen ..It did 97 and98..  I can risk 400k but not willing to risk losing 800k .

This is not the Uk .This is Thailand -Anything goes..

And yes-- am getting worried and stressed about it. Here is me thinking its going to be easy.

Ubon joe.

I have a sister that lives in Wokingham  England. Just off the m 4 and about 20 miles from Heathrow.  We will be flying from Heathrow to Thailand anyway after driving down from Scotland to my sisters house in Wokingham.

It can be arranged to get down there earlier and arrange a visit to the Thai embassy London if needed.

This could then facilitate getting the uk marriage certificate sorted out i hope..

Edited by woodsplinter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

And yes-- am getting worried and stressed about it. Here is me thinking its going to be easy.

The only thing that's an issue the the marriage certificate and what's required.

Few good posts about this already in thread.

The rest is easy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

Ubon joe.

I have a sister that lives in Wokingham  England. Just off the m 4 and about 20 miles from Heathrow.  We will be flying from Heathrow to Thailand anyway after driving down from Scotland to my sisters house in Wokingham.

It can be arranged to get down there earlier and arrange a visit to the Thai embassy London if needed.

This could then facilitate getting the uk marriage certificate sorted out i hope..

You could start the process by mail for the UK legalization. Not sure how long it will take to get done.

For the embassy can do it by mail or in person. 

Have you read the info I posted for the UK legalization yet. It is started online and is done by mail.

Howerde

Yes that is what i thought after doing a lot off research.

£60.00 one way. 

There is only a handful of airlines charging per bag.

If you book a ticket with one bag in your booking on Finnair you are aloud to pay for an extra 3 bags to 1 booking.

So you can have a total off 4 cases to 1 booking. All at23 kg.

British Airways is £65.00 one way 23kg up to 10 extra bags on 1 booking.

The problem with British Airways just now is there is no  direct flights from London To Bangkok at the moment -supposed to be October this year but has now been put off till 2023.-correct me if i am wrong.

You can fly BA to Doha Then partner Airline Qatar  airways to Bangkok. on a code share partner airline. Not direct.

Allegedly for baggage at £65.00 per bag the longest leg qualifies which is London-- Doha. but and again as far as i can make out the code share letters -flight numbers or whatever must be the same otherwise the Qatar flight from Doha to Bangkok different rates apply..

Air France i think from Paris direct is 100 euros a bag.

How the airlines can justify paying up to £ 40  a kilo on bags borders on highway robbery.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

I am not willing to leave 800k in a Thai bank especially as the Thai banks reduced there liability from 5 million baht to 1 million baht compensation if financial collapse.

There has been warning signs in the last few weeks about Thai banks and the high debts the banks own.

Do not say it cannot happen ..It did 97 and98..  I can risk 400k but not willing to risk losing 800k .

This is not the Uk .This is Thailand -Anything goes..

Just a clarification:  None of the major Thai banks failed in the '97-'98 baht devaluation crisis.  Or ever.   

You need to check your history. 

The major Thai banks are very safe. 

Plus, if you are not willing to park 800K baht in a Thai bank, perhaps you cannot afford to retire there.

5 minutes ago, stix40 said:

Guy's

Similar story to Wood Splinter 

If travelling to Thailand with NON O visa based on marriage is a return ticket needed ? 

Thanks 

No.

If flying with a visa or reentry permit an onward flight will not be asked by airline at departure. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Guys 

any recommendations for travel / medical insurance ?

Travelling to Thailand with non o visa based on marriage 90 day (not returning to UK )

thanks again

stix40