At last -Moving to Thailand but advice required.

Been a lurcher on this site for many years -  Now seeking some advice.

I have been married to a Thai lady for over 20 years and married in Scotland in 2000 so  a Uk Marriage.

We have not been back to Thailand since January 2020 due to covid restrictions. So nearly 2.5 years.

We were due to move permanently in June off 2020 but that had to be cancelled.

My wife officially retires this Friday and i have purchased this morning one way tickets for both off us back to Thailand Through London  to Bangkok  by Finnair Airline  in less than 4 weeks time.

I have just spent or wasted about 3 hours trying to get a 60 day tourist visa on the Thai Visa OR London  Embassy website. I have given up with exasperation. 

I have just found out this morning that the Thai consulate in Glasgow which i have used before is closed down permanently.

So --I will be arriving in Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa. 

What we have- is a Property in Pattaya which is in my wife's name . She has the Chanote Title.

I have over 400k in a bank in Thailand in my name for over 3years.

What i am hoping to do -- Is to retire in Thailand on a Marriage visa -I hope- Medical cost will be self financed - I am 70 years with a managed condition. So self insured.

My question's and will appreciate any advice is as follows

1 - Can i get a retirement visa through Jomtien immigration in the 30 days that i will have on landing.

2- Would it be better with a 60 day visa giving enough time to apply for a retirement visa.  I can get an extra 30 days visa in Jomtien.

3-Can i do this myself or would it be better using an agent.

4- I did not want to use an agent but if i do can a retirement visa based on marriage be done in the first 30 days in Pattaya.

5-Would it be better using an agent for the first time and any idea off the cost.

Thank you all for any advice ..

I am aware of the Thailand pass  and that Worthless covid insurance that is valid just now. I am leaving that till the 1st of June just in case that it gets dropped.

I think the Thailand pass must be applied for at least 7 days before travel -So i have enough time.

On the off note - if this helps anybody.

As restrictions are lifted there will be more Farangs moving back to there properties in Thailand.

We are bringing 8 x 23 kg cases of baggage with us .Paid extra at roughly £60.00 extra per case one way using Finnair.

Most Airlines Charge around £40.00 per kilo Flying from the Europe -- £ 800 for a 20 kg case --What a rip off.

I used my ex wife 3 years ago to bring a 30kg case from Glasgow on Emerites for £515 . Now they have  4 fares for the one economy ticket 

1- No luggage -Cheapest

2- 20 kg

3 - 25 kg

4 - 30 kg.  All  economy tickets for the same seat but the 30 kg is more than £ 200.00 more expensive than the cheapest one. Same seat.

I made the mistake off sending 2 bags as freight 3 years ago Through MY Baggage. Picked up on a Friday -Tracked and arrived  in Bangkok on the Sunday.

No problems Cost £350.00 for 2 bags.

We followed a couple off days later and it took 5 weeks and a lot off hassle and nearly £400 uk pounds in all the made up fees to get the bags Back. Delivered  to the door and paid in cash only. We did get a receipt. Never again.

The only airlines Flying into Bangkok just now that charges per 23kg bag is as far as i know.

Finnair -£60.00 a bag one way.

Air France I think about £120 one way.

KLM and Lufthansa Around £300.per extra bag. 

Most other airlines are up to £40.00 a kg excess baggage.

British Airways at £65 .00 per 23kg bag one way was good but i believe no flights till 2023.

They code share From London To Doha -- BA to Doha Then Qatar to Bangkok .Should be £65.00 per case but reading the small print the code share must be the same number all the way through from London to Bangkok and the longest leg qualifies all the way through. A bit risky that i thought..

I tried Phoning BA this morning to confirm this but there was a 55 minute que and that was using a members direct number so they lost a £1500 pound sale. Booked with a different Airline.

I will get onto the motoring Forum now for more help i hope.

I have a Yamaha 135 cc  Scooter Sitting unmoved and unstarted in a bedroom off the house for 2.5 years. The petrol in the tank will be like glue!

I also bought a car the week before we left in January 2020 which has been sitting on the driveway off the house  for the same time 2.5 years. That was a mistake the car gets washed and started and moved on the driveway every week.

Off course-- both have no tax and insurance now-- I will put this onto the motoring forum to find out what to do maintenance wise.

Thanks for listening to my ramble.

Any help appreciated..

• Like 1

start breathing ????

Based on marriage and 400 k in bank, you can get help from your wife to do your visa. 

Someone else will guide you through the visa approach from your visa exempt on arrival to visa based on marriage. I did the same for retirement, and it was easy with help from emigration and my gf. 

and just say good luck. 

• Like 2

You will not be getting a "retirement visa based on marriage". You will obtain either a "extension of stay based on retirement", or an "extension of stay based on having a Thai spouse". The retirement extension requires 800K THB in the bank, the marriage extension requires 400K THB in the bank. The retirement extension, in most cases, is a little easier to "process" with immigration, but the marriage extension is straightforward, and there is no reason to not do it. I personally use an agent for everything that involves immigration, but if you need to save the small amount that will cost, it is entirely possible to do everything yourself. I am not familiar with the prices of agents in Pattaya.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, woodsplinter said:

Can i get a retirement visa through Jomtien immigration in the 30 days that i will have on landing.

Not with the current 400k in the bank, you'll either need to increase it to 800k or go the visa extension based on marriage the 1st year and switch it up to retirement mode next year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bbko said:

Not with the current 400k in the bank, you'll either need to increase it to 800k or go the visa extension based on marriage the 1st year and switch it up to retirement mode next year.

The OP stated.....

"What i am hoping to do -- Is to retire in Thailand on a Marriage visa -"...

He is just using incorrect terms.

The word retirement should not be in his OP.

Nor should "marriage visa".

He wants a Non O based on marriage and a 12 month extension based on marriage. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Just get an agent to do all the heavy lifting ????????

He could use an agent to assist with organization however he is obtaining a non O and extension based on marriage and will require to do a lot of "lifting" himself. 

If your suggesting an agent to cover everything including the financials then the agent would go the non O  extension based on retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

From the Op's post my first and main concern would be denied boarding by Finnair on a 1 way ticket with a visa exempt entry (no onward ticket). Getting a visa is unnecessary so I would just buy the cheapest disposable onward ticket to a neighbouring country for within the 30 days. 

That was certainly point I was going to make, and I agree that the OP should buy a throw away ticket before travelling to the airport.

When I travelled from a UK airport to start my new life here I also had a large number of suitcases, rather than pay the airlines high excess baggage charges, I used an excess baggage company, who were considerably cheaper.

My excess baggage actually travelled on the same aircraft and I needed an agent this end to collect my bags this end, they need watching but it still worked out considerably cheaper.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you do not require an agent.

You arrive visa exempt and as you correctly point out that 30 days can be extended by 30 if required.

Your first step is to obtain a non O based on marriage.

That requires 400k baht in Thai bank account in your name only.

Note there are other requirements.

The non O needs to applied for with 15+ days remaining on your permission of stay.

Hence possible need for the 30 day extension. 

The non O gives you a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days (with the 400k having been in the bank for 2 months) you apply for 12 month extension based on marriage.

You should look into the various threads that outline the "other" requirements for non O marriage.

You do not require insurance for non O or for extensions.

two things to consider if he comes in visa exempt he will need an exit ticket to get on an airline, as explained in a previous post he can get a cheap throw away ticket, secondly if he is going the marriage route does he have his marriage registered in Thailand, this can involve some extra work

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

He will be charged 220 baht for every withdrawal using a foreign card. Which is 5 quid in my money!

Op, open an account with Wise before you go and transfer money weekly/monthly to your Thai bank account.

Or if you have the 25,000US to open a Schwab International account you can transfer money for free and get their debit card.  The debit card rebates the Thai ATM fee instantly with no monthly limit.  (If you already own stocks you can transfer them to the Schwab account to meet the 25K opening requirement.)  The one thing I don't know is if you would have to pay to transfer the money from a UK bank to Schwab.  From US banks you can transfer to Schwab for free.

Just never accept the exchange rate the ATM tries to get you to use.  Otherwise you get ripped off big time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP stated.....

You are right : a visa is a permit to enter the country issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate which can then be "extended" every year at a local Immigration Office in Thailand.

My Thai wife is preparing all the paperwork but as we live not too far from the Immigration Office she goes every year 2 or 3 weeks before applying for an extension to this I/O in order to get the latest set of papers.

As OP is still in the UK he should take care to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate (if the marriage took place in the UK) and if possible get it legalised while still in the UK so that it can be easily legalised at the Thai Foreign Ministry (where there is also a translation office)  Then get the document registered at the local city hall before using it at Immigration Office.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

As OP is still in the UK he should take care to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate (if the marriage took place in the UK) and if possible get it legalised while still in the UK so that it can be easily legalised at the Thai Foreign Ministry (where there is also a translation office)  Then get the document registered at the local city hall before using it at Immigration Office

Good advice.

Ubonjoe has provided link in his post and the OP should take note.

@woodsplinter note also as per ubonjoe post ...you can obtain 60 day extension "to visit wife" and this is option if more time is required to organize. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

start breathing ????

Based on marriage and 400 k in bank, you can get help from your wife to do your visa. 

Someone else will guide you through the visa approach from your visa exempt on arrival to visa based on marriage. I did the same for retirement, and it was easy with help from emigration and my gf. ave 

and just say good luck. 

@OP you'll have to do the paperwork to register your marriage in Thailand. I don't know the details as I got my initial registration in Bangkok, but there a few threads here on that topic.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, woodsplinter said:

So --I will be arriving in Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa. 

Could you be specific woodsplinter-- "I will be arriving in Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa".... So you have a 30 day Visa? --or you are arriving with no Visa at all.  As someone pointed out , it makes a difference to some Airlines if you are just traveling 1 way with no Visa to enter. Because if they (Thailand) didn't let you enter..(very unusual)

The Airline would be responsible for you and your many bags.

• Like 1

If you married in the UK have you had your marriage legalized by the Thai embassy in London you need that done before you come here, once here you need things translated then signed off by MFA, that is if you want to stay in Thailand using the marriage route

Finnair  have on their website that anyone travelling on tourist visa this will include visa exempt, must have a return ticket, though a ticket leaving Thailand would be good enough 

Please be advised that as a leisure traveller, you must have a return or an onward ticket to another country before departure. Check our 'Travel requirements map' for details.

https://www.finnair.com/gb-en

Edited by howerde
missing text
  • Like 1

Jeezo-- Thanks to everyone for your replies.. I have opened up a can off worms for myself i think.

Right-- I will be landing without a visa -Just 30 days on arrival. So -and thanks to everyone that pointed this out-- i did not know. I will seek out and purchase an onward throwaway ticket from Thailand to another country. Yes -The Finnair tickets is one way only to Thailand -No return. Does anyone know what country to book a ticket from Bangkok to with little or no covid restrictions. The ticket will be throwaway . Is Vietnam possible. Any links bearing in mind i will have to book this on the internet from the Uk.  Thks on that one.

On the subject of the Thai Embassy London. I have had recent dealings with them about 6 months ago as to my Thai wife renewing her Thai passport there. That will be a No No.

They are a total nightmare to deal with. Apart from being over 400 miles away and in central London. They will not answer the phones. I tried for 3 days They will not communicate with anybody. Trying to get an appointment was a nightmare. E-Mails are ignored. Eventually got a link and my wife got an appointment. Travelled 440 miles and she had to go back the next day to central London as well.

Look at the reviews for Thai embassy London ..Shocking.. The only good thing that came out off it was she got a 10 year passport this time which was new. She had to travel to London every 5 years  before to renew..

Reluctantly --It looks like I will have to use an agent. I know there is one on soi 7 recommended by nick deans ndtv  utube. Any recommendations out there.

Thks to timendres. ubon joe ,dr jack ,soi 3 eddie,fvw 53,oxo and everyone else that i have missed for the input.

We arrive in Thailand on the 15th off June 2022. Is it correct that i will need an onward ticket booked 30 days after this day or say the 14th July -29 days later to leave Bangkok Thailand to another country. If so -i will do this ASAP.

Thanks to soi edi ,oxo ete  Saved me there on that one.--Book an onward ticket...

AS to the Uk Marriage certificate which i have .-If using an agent which i am more than willing to do now (Its doing my head in) If i bring to Thailand can it all be done from Pattaya and jomtien immigration.

Regards Business class tickets -I did look at that and no -was very expensive. I have used My Baggage before.. No problems with this company at all. The problem was the faceless Thai customs who ripped me off for nearly £400.uk in fees for 2 bags so cost me nearly £800.00 for 2 bags delivered to the door.

My wife wasted a day in Bangkok airport trying to get them out off customs with an agent to no avail.. Faceless with no responsibility. The even had the cheek to charge me a daily fee for storage. They held the bags right to the last building up there fees. I was raging -Could not do anything about it so----never again.

The perception is there with you guys regarding banking fees and keeping a lump sum in the Uk.

I did open up a wise account about 6 months ago and transferred a lump sum one time only to a bank account in Thailand. This will be topped up by about £100 a month from a small pension and will use  for medical expenses when needed. Like self medical insurance. The retirement 400k is in a separate account for more than 3 years now.

I used to send transfers from Nation wide  Uk about twice a year to pay for house maintenance. That was paperwork and £40..00 a pop per transfer. 

Wise is so much cheaper and faster actually last time i used wise the transfer was done in seconds.

Thanks to the input from Everybody and will not be using ATMs at 220 baht a go..

Wise transfer is the way to go.

Thanks to some on this Thai visa site i have managed to persuade my wife to keep a Fall back lump sum in the UK .Untouched as a safety net. Its there and all in her name .

Being Thai and stubborn and always right and never wrong she was wanting to bring this sum to Thailand now. Even with a poor exchange rate.

She is not computer liberate and cannot even work an e-mail account but can work facebook ok. (Surprize)

I have told her everything is written down and if i am not here for any reason as it is now linked with my wise account  she could pay someone to do it easily if not herself.

I have an address in the Uk That will be linked to that account.

Experience has proved to me -I do not trust thai,s and i do not trust Thai banks. The only person i trust is my wife!

Next --Book an onward ticket to where?????

Is there anything apart from my marriage certificate i need to bring Thailand with us.

The Thai Embassy London is a no no.

Thks everybody.

Soi eddy --

Many years ago brought Scottish £20 pound and £50 pound notes to Thailand.

Tried to change them at the money booths --No chance --

Tried the banks- No chance -Though it was monopoly money.

Funny that-- The bargirls in soi 22 Bangkok took the notes no problem.

I used a credit card to get cash.

Expensive lesson learnt!.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

Jeezo-- Thanks to everyone for your replies.. I have opened up a can off worms for myself i think.

Think your doing research which is good.

Won't address all the point in post above.

Regarding onward ticket this can be to anywhere and yes it needs to be within 30 days of arrival in Thailand.

I did this recently for a guy and found Phnom Penh cheap.

Approx 1300baht.

You can also google "onward flight" and there are companies that provide a real booking that works ~ 15usd.

The money in bank method for marriage is very simple and imo better option over monthly transfers.

Your wife will be wrapt to be back in Thailand. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

Tried to change them at the money booths --No chance --

Tried the banks- No chance -Though it was monopoly money.

Long time ago I met guy on flight to Saigon and he had bunch of Scottish pounds.

He was staying near me and we met the next day to fix him up with dong. 

Knowing couple of money exchange near Bui Vien told him ...

No problems.

That's when I found out different.

They wouldn't touch it. 

• Like 1

Is there anything apart from my marriage certificate i need to bring Thailand with us.

The Thai Embassy London is a no no.

Your UK marriage certificate will not be accepted by the Thai authorities, unless you have it legalized by the Thai embassy in London then have it translated and presented to  the MFA in Bangkok, only then you can register it at an amphur, only then will immigration accept it for any marriage extension of stay.

Nothing any agency can do unless they use false documents, then you will be in a world of pain

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/81905-legalisation?menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd0007344

Edited by howerde
text
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, howerde said:

The Thai Embassy London is a no no

I posted about getting a UK marriage certificate legalized eelier in this topic.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Before leaving the UK you should get your marriage certificate legalized by UK government and the Thai embassy in London. That will be needed to register your foreign marriage at a amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration will require for you to apply for a non-o visa and extension of stay. Info here from UK embassy website.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

Requirements for the non-o visa application is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

You should of applied for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to  a Thai instead of a tourist visa. It has fewer requirements than a .tourist visa application.

After entering visa exempt you can apply for a 30 day extension to get more time to apply for the non-o visa at immigration. You can also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP stated.....

We all know what he meant though right?

• Like 1

Howerde and Ubon joe 

I do not know how i missed that requirement. Never heard off this before.. Thanks for the links --Got a list off translators now.

Trying to stay calm as its doing my head in..

Right -I have to look into this.

Thanks to all you guys for giving me the time, knowledge and advice with this one.

Now looking at a throw away flight to Vietnam..

Thanks to all guys for your help. Not finished yet..

• Thanks 1