Bkk BIB extort farang country bumpkins?

Lucky you got a cooperative guy. I would have had  you on the kirb  in the sun, emptied your car  checked all your doc, arranged blood and urine tests and let you go to  police  station  for  6 hours.

Or maybe your story is just a silly , harmless fantasy

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4

I got stopped once for not having my license with me (forgot wallet at home), he starts of saying (in English) 700 baht fine.  I start using my Thai language skills and ask him to come down a little bit and explain I'm not a "holiday farang" and that I live here, he asked my address and I tell him (in Thai), after a slight pause he says if I go to the nearest 7-11 and buy him and his partner some cold water I'm free to go.  Off I went and while it did cross my mind to just keep going I thought he gave me a huge break so I'll get them water. 

I know many here on AN like to play the "all Thai cops are out to get farangs" game, but in reality they often give farangs a break. 

• Like 1

Over the years the police stopped me hundreds of times, mostly for riding not on the left lane with a motorcycle.

In almost all cases it was friendly. And in almost all cases I paid 100B or nothing at all.

They want money, I think that is obvious. What is maybe not obvious is that they want money fast. Because if they have to argue for an hour to get 500B then they didn't really get much money. They could have stopped every 5 minutes another driver and collet 100B each.

So one way to do this is to be friendly and have all the time in the world.

A friend, who could speak fluent Thai, showed the police officers who wanted money all the other passing vehicles. 100B, another 100B, another 100B, how long do you want to talk to me? ...

• Like 2

Before the crusty barstool grumps start up about me puffing up my chest,

That's funny, i kind of think the bar-stool jokes are a bit of a myth.

and truth is,  it's mostly sad old lonely men sitting alone in there council flat in Scunthorpe,  who went to Thailand on holiday,  back in the day.  :giggle:

Right anyone for a breakfast Chang ?

• Haha 1