People, I have a frog problem...

bamboozled

There is a depression in front of the driveway just where it meets the street. Water collects here, a couple inches. It's filled with tadpoles. I didn't think to catch them and remove them. I have gone out to have a look and try and push the water out (to no avail) but couldn't see he frogs. I didn't look really hard but I was surprised as it sounds like there are hundreds. There are not a lot of lights shining out there but there is grass and herbage. I will cut that; good idea.

I never thought to try and catch them. I had/have the feeling they are itinerant. I do see them jumping around across the drive sometimes at night. And where are they non-rainy season? I'll have to give that a go. If they are in the actual gutter, which is a concrete trough, I might be able to fashion some kind of net the exact size. I'll have to have a go at it.

Just now, macahoom said:

A quick Googled turned up this:

"Vinegar is one of the home remedies suitable for getting rid of frogs.
So, yes, vinegar will get rid of frogs.
Vinegar can keep frogs away by causing a burning sensation at their feet. This is a more humane way of discouraging frogs from infesting your home.
For maximum effect, mix the vinegar with an equal amount of water and then apply it with a spray bottle in the area with frogs. Avoid spraying vinegar on plants."

Fantastic, thanks! I didn't check Google, duh! There are no plants to harm there so no issue with that. Plenty of water to mix with the vinegar. And the area is not huge so should be doable. Ah, they just stopped for a second....bliss!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Ooh yes I have. I have a garden full of bull frogs, their noise, with that of the early torrential rains, gives me great sense of elation. It is one of those things that are part of life in the tropics. You love or leave it. The feeling it gives me is similar to the one I had in winter back home, when at 4am I was going out to the cold to clear 40cm of fresh snow.

I agree. But this is different. I love the sound, too, usually. This is overwhelming. Nothing soothing about it.

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

A quick Google turned up this:

"Vinegar is one of the home remedies suitable for getting rid of frogs.
So, yes, vinegar will get rid of frogs.
Vinegar can keep frogs away by causing a burning sensation at their feet. This is a more humane way of discouraging frogs from infesting your home.
For maximum effect, mix the vinegar with an equal amount of water and then apply it with a spray bottle in the area with frogs. Avoid spraying vinegar on plants."

Vinegar is also a serving suggestion and condiment with deep-fried frogs

7 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Fantastic, thanks! I didn't check Google, duh! There are no plants to harm there so no issue with that. Plenty of water to mix with the vinegar. And the area is not huge so should be doable. Ah, they just stopped for a second....bliss!

I'd love to hear if you have any success with vinegar.

• Like 1

When it rains and the flying ants are out is when I like the frogs. We have Tokays and chingchocks who catch and up the higher flyers and frogs get the floor level ones.

We have hundreds (or it sounds like it) around the old fish pond and the noise doesn't bother us as we live in rural Thailand.

No, def not going to move because of the frogs but would like to do something if possible. This morning they're pretty silent The rain really pumps them up. Listen frog-crock lovers: I guarantee you would not like this. You're all referencing some pleasant memory of frogs croaking. This is not that memory. Just trust me, ok? It's deafening.

It's about a 2 meter or less wide space between the house and the cement perimeter wall. This space now is muddy and full of water and yes a good bit of vegetation has sprouted as we don't walk in that space. The bottom floor of the house is one big room with a tiled floor and the ceiling the underside of the second-story wood floors so another hard surface. The walls of the house adjacent to this area are just screened windows, no glass., so nothing to block the sound. There are many frogs, that is obvious. I think the sound reverberates off the concrete wall and straight into the house that accentuates even further the sound due to the hard surfaces and open space. Today, I plan to cut down all the veggies and capture as many froggies as I can and send them to TV for TV croaker-lovers to collect and keep under their beds.

Edited by bamboozled
  • Like 2

....Pulled a good bit of vegetation out today. Ground was nice and soft so that helped. Weirdly, did not see a lot of frogs just a few and did not bother to catch them. They are fast!. As I said, they were much quieter this morning so perhaps they've moved on? Probably only temporarily. I did hear them early like 5 am but a couple hours later pretty quiet. After I get to the grocery store to buy some vinegar I will do  good spray down. Was totally thinking the whole time if you can put a python on  a leash.

• Haha 1