Butter, Margarine or Fat Spread?

ravip

15 hours ago, realviking48 said:

Dr. Ekberg is the best nutritionist on YouTube.... Listen/watch this video and you will learn very much.

Quite an interesting clip. Refers to Margarine  ~ 14:45. Mentions Hydrogenation and it's effects while processing. 

Do the good brands of Margarine totally eliminate this?

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I only buy margarine imported from Australia, and with an olive oil or canola base.

The argument rages on social media as to whether saturated fats or unsaturated oils are better health-wise, the Mediterranean diet supports the latter.

There is no such thing as a polyunsaturated fat, they are all oils. When manufacturers hydrogenate a polyunsaturated oil, then it becomes a saturated fat. And yes, trans fats are bad news.

You'll have to help me out with what CLA is, Google tells me it is a Mercedes model.

CLA - Natural transfat - Omega 6, can POTENTIALLY assist in weight loss. 

see one of many links 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4429457/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not too bad, falls into the overweight range

BMI - is one of the most ridiculous ideas for modern times! This has barely been changed since its inception in the 1830's! The fact that median average height, "size" and overall health of the population has increased is barely taken into account.

35 minutes ago, eezergood said:

BMI - is one of the most ridiculous ideas for modern times! This has barely been changed since its inception in the 1830's! The fact that median average height, "size" and overall health of the population has increased is barely taken into account.

I didn't invent it I just refer to it sometimes, experts still seem to use it currently, but I have noticed those with high BMIs i.e. in a band they don't like, dismiss the use of it, rather than accept they are porkers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, eezergood said:

Actually the BMI is still accurate. There are of course exceptions (bodybuilders etc.), but for the average person it is.

You can still be healthy and relatively fit if you are in the "overweight" range, but anybody who is in the obese category will definitely have quite big deficits.

And on average a person in the "normal" range will be more healthy than one who is overweight or obese.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This article today, about Indians getting fatter, talks about BMI, I reckon it's their heavy ghee diet, which is a form of butter

BBC News - NFHS-5: Indians are getting fatter - and it's a big problem

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-61558119

India so worried about 23% of their population having a BMI >25, while according to a quick Google search in the USA it seems to be about 70%.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Actually the BMI is still accurate. There are of course exceptions (bodybuilders etc.), but for the average person it is.

You can still be healthy and relatively fit if you are in the "overweight" range, but anybody who is in the obese category will definitely have quite big deficits.

And on average a person in the "normal" range will be more healthy than one who is overweight or obese.

India so worried about 23% of their population having a BMI >25, while according to a quick Google search in the USA it seems to be about 70%.

BMI may be accurate (depending on what arbitrary criteria one uses to measure and define by) but it is still nonsense - 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

But don't cows like to be milked? And then we get butter, too. Win-win situation?

"From the moment a female calf is born on a dairy farm, she enters an inescapable cycle of suffering."

https://animalequality.org/blog/2022/03/08/our-global-mission-to-expose-dairys-hidden-cruelty/

18 Images Big Dairy Doesn’t Want You to See (but PETA Will Show You)

"It’s already common knowledge that cow’s milk is bad for you, but more and more people are beginning to realize that milk is even worse for the cows used in its production."

https://www.peta.org/features/dairy-industry-cruelty/

• Thanks 1

Is there any other industry in the USA which has criminalized taking pictures of unsafe/unsanitary conditions and outright cruelty/animal abuse?

They do this because their industry - factory farming - is indefensible when pictures and video are revealed.

https://www.acluidaho.org/en/news/idaho-ag-gag-law-ruled-unconstitutional-federal-court

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I milked a cow by hand for home use milk and butter before and after school, that cow waited every evening at the farm gate walked down the drive with me into its stall to be milked without even been tied ????

Possibly the same point/suggestion that cows enjoy their calves to drink from them.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:26 AM, ravip said:

Marmite is available in Thailand? I've never seen it on the shelves!

It's in the main supermarkets...but way overpriced!  Topps has it as well as Rimping (if you are in CM) and Big C Extra.  Tesco used to have it, but not been in there since they changed to Lotus's...so maybe not now.  Also you can buy in online as already mentioned by a poster.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

In order for them to be producing milk for humans the cows on most farms are forced to be  artificially inseminated, then when they give birth the calf is immediately taken away from them (causing them great distress).  

After that they are milked every day for many more months past their natural time they would provide milk naturally for their calf.  This provides a massive strain of the health of the cow, so it is fed antibiotics constantly in its feed to keep it dying from infections. 

Most are also kept in dark dirty stalls where they have no space to even walk about, leading to lameness.  Many never even get to eat grass, instead fed an corn or vegetable by products not fit for human consumption. 

Next time you are out in the countryside here go and take a look at the conditions dairy cows are kept in.  You will be disgusted.  

And it's hardly any better in the West with factory farming. 

Not all farms are factory farms & not all factory farms are the same....... just as not all vegans are militant imbeciles with a penchant for misplaced piousness, however much they try to prove me wrong

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

In order for them to be producing milk for humans the cows on most farms are forced to be  artificially inseminated, then when they give birth the calf is immediately taken away from them (causing them great distress).  

After that they are milked every day for many more months past their natural time they would provide milk naturally for their calf.  This provides a massive strain of the health of the cow, so it is fed antibiotics constantly in its feed to keep it dying from infections. 

Most are also kept in dark dirty stalls where they have no space to even walk about, leading to lameness.  Many never even get to eat grass, instead fed an corn or vegetable by products not fit for human consumption. 

Next time you are out in the countryside here go and take a look at the conditions dairy cows are kept in.  You will be disgusted.  

And it's hardly any better in the West with factory farming. 

You appear to have limited knowledge, accompanied by a dim view of farming, coupled with broad generalized misunderstanding of animal husbandry 

I worked in dairy farming for years and the cattle had a better working life than many humans

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, eezergood said:
38 minutes ago, 473geo said:

You appear to have limited knowledge, accompanied by a dim view of farming, coupled with broad generalized misunderstanding of animal husbandry 

I worked in dairy farming for years and the cattle had a better working life than many humans

I second this, I know many farmers that take HUGE pride in the welfare of their animals - this makes not only moral sense but financial sense. Happy, well content & stress free animals produce better 

So this:

"Babies still wet from birth were tossed into flimsy outdoor plastic huts"

- is possibly not exactly true?? ????

https://animalequality.org/blog/2022/03/08/our-global-mission-to-expose-dairys-hidden-cruelty/

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 3:37 PM, scubascuba3 said:

When I went to US 30 years ago for a hol I couldn't believe the size of these people, eye popping, probably much worse now

That's true. Americans ARE fat. And the reason? It's because they stopped eating healthy fats (like butter), and replaced them with sugar and unhealthy vegetable oils. I am from the US. I eat healthy fats by the kilo - and I am skinny. My sister, who still lives in the US, eats nothing but low-fat food, and she is one of those eye-poppingly obese people that you saw on your trip there. The last time I visited the US, I tried to find full-fat dairy products, to no avail. I asked my sister if eating low-fat food has made her slim. She said, "But if I don't eat low-fat food, I will be even fatter than I am now." She is hopelessly brainwashed.

My grandmother had a big bucket of lard in her kitchen that she used for cooking - from the pigs she raised and butchered. And she lived to be 96 years old. People used to know how to eat. How did we lose that knowledge?

As for whether we NEED fat: Of course we do! Certain vitamins that we need are fat-soluble, which means that without fat, we can't make use of those vitamins. So again, eat fats, but eat the healthy ones.

• Like 1