Butter, Margarine or Fat Spread?

ravip

6 hours ago, 473geo said:

In the individual case, possibly, although there is no denying the newborn calves are removed at birth, the calf may well be segregated at birth to avoid the sucking of each others navel to avoid infection, they are usually dried, sometimes under a heat lamp in cold winters given a warm bed of straw, and mothers milk from a dummy teat. 

Calves reared on the cow quite quickly become self sufficient in 6 months or so when the lure of grass over milk replaces mother love so not too much attachment

The mother then quickly gains condition and comes into season again. The dairy cow behaves in much the same manner.

To a knowledgeable person in the background of the 'wet calf' picture are some dairy cows in excellent condition which would suggest although removed from the cow this calf will be treated well.

"What about Humanely Raised Milk and Dairy Products?"

https://freefromharm.org/farm-animal-welfare/what-about-humanely-raised-milk-and-dairy-products/

1 hour ago, BangkokHank said:

That's true. Americans ARE fat. And the reason? It's because they stopped eating healthy fats (like butter), and replaced them with sugar and unhealthy vegetable oils. I am from the US. I eat healthy fats by the kilo - and I am skinny. My sister, who still lives in the US, eats nothing but low-fat food, and she is one of those eye-poppingly obese people that you saw on your trip there. The last time I visited the US, I tried to find full-fat dairy products, to no avail. I asked my sister if eating low-fat food has made her slim. She said, "But if I don't eat low-fat food, I will be even fatter than I am now." She is hopelessly brainwashed.

My grandmother had a big bucket of lard in her kitchen that she used for cooking - from the pigs she raised and butchered. And she lived to be 96 years old. People used to know how to eat. How did we lose that knowledge?

As for whether we NEED fat: Of course we do! Certain vitamins that we need are fat-soluble, which means that without fat, we can't make use of those vitamins. So again, eat fats, but eat the healthy ones.

i think it's likely your sister is secretly eating junk, she won't get fat by eating low fat food. It's like the bloaters at the cinema who have a large diet coke and loads of junk.

Atkins was obese when he died with heart disease, strange that people still think it's a great diet meat and fat

"My grandmother had a big bucket of lard in her kitchen that she used for cooking - from the pigs she raised and butchered. And she lived to be 96 years old."

Well if 1 (Count 'em, One!) anecdotal account does not prove how healthy it really is to eat fat from dead animals, I don't know what is.

Science!

Edited by JimmyJ

12 hours ago, 473geo said:

You appear to have limited knowledge, accompanied by a dim view of farming, coupled with broad generalized misunderstanding of animal husbandry 

I worked in dairy farming for years and the cattle had a better working life than many humans

You are incorrect. I have good knowledge. I have previously worked or been involved with livestock farming for many years, and I am qualified with livestock husbandry and management qualifications from college.   

I also completed several modules covering (and researching) farming practices in the UK as part of a BSc(Hons) degree.  

I do agree that there are good dairy farms, especially in the west, but they are very much in the minority.   Most dairy produce in the USA and Asia comes from less than ethical farming methods, involving a lot of animal suffering for maximising production and reducing costs. 

Well, anyway, we can just agree to difference of opinion here I think. 

Edited by jak2002003

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i think it's likely your sister is secretly eating junk, she won't get fat by eating low fat food. It's like the bloaters at the cinema who have a large diet coke and loads of junk.

She doesn't secretly eat junk. She does it openly. And why? Because eating low-fat food doesn't satisfy her, so she has to eat sugar-filled food. So technically, you're right: Eating low-fat food will not make you fat. But eating the things that eating low-fat food make you want to eat will make you fat.

54 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

She doesn't secretly eat junk. She does it openly. And why? Because eating low-fat food doesn't satisfy her, so she has to eat sugar-filled food. So technically, you're right: Eating low-fat food will not make you fat. But eating the things that eating low-fat food make you want to eat will make you fat.

Sugar isn't the enemy it's the fatty junk which often includes sugar to make it taste better. If she had more carbs to fill up and less fatty junk she'll lose weight, anyway it's a lost cause for many, they're too confused by misinformation 

7 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Low fat foods are more often than not sugar laden in order to make them appealing to eat - they are low fat, not necessarily low calorie 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 5:02 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Don't know but buy this one 90 baht,  you'll thank me later. Free delivery over 300 baht

https://shopee.co.th/product/435479330/3889931329?smtt=0.276239321-1653386474.9

Screenshot_2022-05-24-17-01-12-103_com.shopee.th.jpg

I followed your advice, bought 6 jars from shoppe. I'd say the consistency was a little lighter than marmite, but the taste very comparable. After a while with no marmite you wouldnt know the difference. The price is amazing, thanks for the tip.

18 minutes ago, sungod said:

I followed your advice, bought 6 jars from shoppe. I'd say the consistency was a little lighter than marmite, but the taste very comparable. After a while with no marmite you wouldnt know the difference. The price is amazing, thanks for the tip.

Yeah they are totally fine, my only reservation is the security seal, not normal, usually there's a paper seal

On 5/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, Sheryl said:

Can't believe I didn't know about this site! Thanks!

A brilliant shop, fortunately I can drive there in about 15 minutes, they also sell some of the sweets ( Candies ) from my childhood yummylicious. ????

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, internationalism said:

instead of butter, margarine and any other spreads, take into consideration tahini.

Lazada 300b/litre or in bulk 10-17 litres much cheaper per litre.

I eat about 1 litre monthly, but also give to friends as presents.

I don't eat any other fats

Tahini - me too, spread on  toast, use as part of a vegan salad dressing, in hone made yogurt

• Like 1