Butter, Margarine or Fat Spread?

ravip

What really is the best for consumption?

Butter is animal fat and contains saturated fat - unhealthy, but humans have consumed it for centuries...

Margarine is vegetable fat 80% water 20% - but the manufacturing process makes it unhealthy...

Fat Spread is 20% Fat 80% water...

So how could one choose what's best?

Edited by ravip
Typo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just buy what's the best price ........

Currently 50% butter, 50% margarine from YoK @ 80bht for 500gm.

(I only use it for toast and Marmite so it lasts a while)

Marmite is available in Thailand? I've never seen it on the shelves!

• Like 1

For those concerned about their health (cholesterol level) vs weight, no worries, as what you don't eat, you body will make.

"“Your genetic makeup – not diet – is the driving force behind cholesterol levels, says Dr. Nissen. “The body creates cholesterol in amounts much larger than what you can eat, so avoiding foods that are high in cholesterol won’t affect your blood cholesterol levels very much.”

About 85% of the cholesterol in the circulation is manufactured by the body in the liver."

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/#:~:text=“The body creates cholesterol in,the body in the liver.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dietary-cholesterol-does-not-matter

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

I buy imported margarines made from olive oil and canola, IMO much healthier than butter.

Many people get their knickers in a twist about the additives used to make margarine, they don't seem to have harmed me.

They'd be better off worrying about alcohol, which has been a Class 1 carcinogen since 1989.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who cares what it is? Eat what you like to eat and what tastes best.

We are all going to die, it's just a question of when. Do you really want to use "Fat Spread" to live a week longer?

TBO, I was not searching for methods of increasing my lifespan!  - 555

It's just that I was very interested to know the real difference between these spreads. My 1st preference is also butter!

But, what REALLY are the other two? I mean the manufacturing process, additives etc

Edited by ravip
Add
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, eezergood said:

according to who? what? by what metric ?

The metric is saturated fats, butter contains significant amounts of stearic and palmitic acid esters. Margarines made with vegetable oils, and that are not hydrogenated, are almost all unsaturated esters based on oleic, linoleic, and linolenic acids.