Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai woman with foreign husband furious at having to pay 54,000 baht on designer goods

webfact

50 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

So you've put out 16 posts in a row telling everyone they're wrong except you!

You're missing the main point. It's not about countries having import duties. It's about the ridiculous low amount that Thailand can charge you tax on. 20,000 baht total personal belongings. About US$590 or £470.

Most people would have more than that amount on them with their carry on luggage and what they wear through customs, so most people's suitcases are fair game.

Tell me one country that will tax you on your used personal belongings if they are over a total value over 20,000 (any one of my suits costs more than)

So because you do not understand or accept Thai law, everyone who does not agree with your own misunderstanding of reality is wrong????????????

Edited by Bert got kinky

To get this straight, If I bought expensive luxury goods back home in Europe, I declare my things before I travel out, Which I did when traveling with production camera equipment back in the days, so I could show when I came back home if checked in customs. 

Im also sure this couple will get refund their money if they leave Thailand with the same items. If not the system is broken. 

Every country have a max value of things you can bring back.

https://www.toll.no/en/goods/travelling-with-expensive-items/

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

To get this straight, If I bought expensive luxury goods back home in Europe, I declare my things before I travel out, Which I did when traveling with production camera equipment back in the days, so I could show when I came back home if checked in customs. 

Im also sure this couple will get refund their money if they leave Thailand with the same items. If not the system is broken. 

Every country have a max value of things you can bring back.

https://www.toll.no/en/goods/travelling-with-expensive-items/

You have to leave them under "bond" and collect them on the way home; , as far as I understand there is no refund on duty. I could well be wrong

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

You have to leave them under "bond" and collect them on the way home; , as far as I understand there is no refund on duty. I could well be wrong

And that is because she is. Thai, I doubt any of us would face the same if we came on holiday or even coming back home to Thailand, unless it was in original packing with labels etc. 

I mean one pair of jeans can bee 20 - 80k, one handbag 500k even more, so if you travel with new luxury items you would risk this anywhere in the world. 

This means that if I arrive at Suvarnabhumi airport wearing my 10 years old Rolex GMT Master, I will have to pay import taxes? ... fortunately Swatch has just launched the MoonSwatch in cooperation with Omega ... ????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, johnnyloda said:

This means that if I arrive at Suvarnabhumi airport wearing my 10 years old Rolex GMT Master, I will have to pay import taxes? ... fortunately Swatch has just launched the MoonSwatch in cooperation with Omega ... ????

No it won't happen 'cos the customs guys will just think your Rolex is just another fake so no problems. Mind you if you bring the box that's another story 'cos original Rolex boxes are collectors items here as the buyers like them to keep their fake watches in to impress their friends.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Governments give big Companies tax breaks so they move/stay in said Country and also a lot on money they generate gets taxed in salaries and things .

Its nor a scam or corruption, just that's how business is done 

ah yes, Capitalism is Good, All Hail Capitalism! slavery and blackbirding was "just business" too.

• Sad 1

On 5/24/2022 at 1:58 PM, shackleton said:

If you can afford to pay for original Designer goods then you can afford the tax enough said 

All these comments about if you can afford the goods, then you can afford paying tax on the goods... <deleted>???
The taxes were already paid when the goods were bought, on income that was already taxed according (btw), no?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MeHere said:

The taxes were already paid when the goods were bought, on income that was already taxed according (btw), no?

There are rules that can make this quite a good extra income if you know the system, and how to do it. 

You can go to shops who have tax refound when visiting a country, but supposed to voluntarily seek up customs and tax it when you arrive your home country. 

58 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

54k to keep the stuff you already bought, paid taxes on, own, wore, and wanted to wear here on tourists.  

The point is that she hadn't paid tax on them when importing them to Thailand...import tax.   That she "bought them, paid non-Thai taxes on them and wore some of them" is irrelevant to the Thai import tax liability.

27 minutes ago, MeHere said:

No.  Until they were brought into Thailand, no Thai tax was paid.  Whatever taxes she paid in S. Korea are irrelevant.   Goods imported into Thailand are assessable for import duty.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

On 5/24/2022 at 3:02 AM, CharlieH said:

That'll encourage the "high roller" tourists they claim to want to visit Thailand.

Always about the MONEY !

Good point. Anyone with lots of money and consider themselves fashionable reading this will not be coming here!

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Thunglom said:
43 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Got anything empirical to suggest otherwise?

you wouldn't recognise "empirical" if it stood in front of you with a big sign saying "this is empirical"

So you've got nothing, then, that's what I thought.     Lame attempts at insults aren't substitutes for statistics or facts.

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

ah yes, Capitalism is Good, All Hail Capitalism! slavery and blackbirding was "just business" too.

Hang on, you are defending the taxation of these people in an earlier post yet you are anti-capitalist?

You seem very muddled mate.

12 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That must be why visitor numbers are increasing every day.

Ah the TAT Scouser representative

Ah, the poster with such remarkably restricted geographical and social knowledge that he thinks that north western England is the only place that has a "Liverpool".   

If you're disputing the accuracy of my comment, provide some detail that isn't just lame rhetoric.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:28 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

I can smell horsesh1t.

It is...you can do that but they will NEVER accept money in the open like this and the transactions rarely move this quickly.  The game is to see how much they can squeeze from you, not just some arbitrary sum that YOU decide.  They threaten you with all kinds of stuff, get you good and scared and then you go talk in another room where the deal happens.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:37 AM, androokery said:

How is it clearly fraudulent? There were new unused items in original boxes at a value far exceeding the limits set out by law. 

Theoretically, if travelling with LV or Gucci bags means you not only have to pay exorbitant prices to acquire them, but also pay through your nose to travel with them, don't these bags just get more desirable as a way of saying you have enormous wealth, a very desirable status symbol - beyond the silly level they have already attained?

Seriously.

We all buy stuff which is crazy expensive, because we like it. 

My wife likes bags, which in my travels across the globe seems to be, along with shoes, a common denominator with women.

She's not as you imply trying to demonstrate her 'enormous wealth, she just likes them. I think it's crazy, but equally she thinks my obsession with Hi Tech toys is equally crazy.

My wife has her own money, she works for the United States DoD and can afford to buy whatever she wants.

But the idea that some pumped up customs guy wants to charge her money, which is what you are suggesting is right, I don't get it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happydreamer said:

It is...you can do that but they will NEVER accept money in the open like this and the transactions rarely move this quickly.  The game is to see how much they can squeeze from you, not just some arbitrary sum that YOU decide.  They threaten you with all kinds of stuff, get you good and scared and then you go talk in another room where the deal happens.

Yes corrupt to the hilt and there's nothing you can do . They are a group of gangsters 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ah, the poster with such remarkably restricted geographical and social knowledge that he thinks that north western England is the only place that has a "Liverpool".   

If you're disputing the accuracy of my comment, provide some detail that isn't just lame rhetoric.

Ok the TAT Liverpool (where-ever) representative

• Sad 1