"Keep wearing masks" says PM as Covid cases in recently opened schools show small increase

webfact

49 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

School near us closed after being open for just one day recently. All but 2 of the teachers tested positive for covid on the first day.

Is anywhere in Thailand doing any testing? Does anyone know actually how people are infected today, yesterday? Did the reporting stop and they don't bother anymore? What is actually going on here now? 

Chiang Mai is starting to see a trickle of tourists - most of them Australians judging by their accents - and none of them are wearing masks even though they are still required in Thailand.  

8 hours ago, tomster said:

Why do people keep saying people in Pattaya don't wear mask?

In the bars obviously they don't but just about everywhere else about 80% of people are masked inside and outside.

I live and work in Pattaya and I drive around constantly, it's just total rubbish that people have stopped wearing masks here.

And most Thai's are also still really scared of Covid as well.

@tomster i suggest you buy some glasses.  and anyway driving around shouldn't you be concentrating on the road, not looking to see who has masks on and who doesn't 

7 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Absolutely agree. I have been in Pattaya for just over 2 years and the only people not wearing masks appear to be new tourists who are few at the moment!

@mikeymike100 Have either of you actually been out lately?   utter nonsense!  at least 50-60% minimum aren't wearing masks and its more like 70-80%

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, XJPSX said:

Even the USA has stopped wearing them.

And look what results from that at least in part, per Johns Hopkins:

"The current average daily incidence [of new COVID cases] continues to increase, up to 104,399 on May 24 from 99,215 new cases per day on May 17."

"New COVID-19 hospital admissions continue to trend upwards, with an increase of 14% over the past week."

"The US recently began averaging more than 100,000 new daily COVID-19 cases for the first time since February."

Source link

When in enclosed public places, maintain social distancing and wear a mask. Protect yourself. Protect those around you.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 2long said:

If we can't stop wearing them now/soon, then WHEN? They've had two years to vaccinate people. 

The time is NOW!

What do vaccinations have to do with it? Most of the people where I work that got covid.... are vaccinated. If you're vaccinated, you can still pass it and still get it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@mikeymike100 Have either of you actually been out lately?   utter nonsense!  at least 50-60% minimum aren't wearing masks and its more like 70-80%

I go out everyday, multiple times. Most Thais are wearing masks, I do see the odd one not wearing a mask. At bars and restaurants only the servers are wearing masks, obviously. If you go into Central Dept Store everyone is wearing masks, cos you have to. But people just walking around in Pattaya and Jomtien are mostly wearing them.You say utter nonsense, I say to you utter nonsense! LOL

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, XJPSX said:

Even the USA has stopped wearing them. BA does not even require them on flights and good luck finding anyone in Australia that has a mask on anywhere!

Which is exactly why Australia has 40K+ cases a day and daily deaths are increasing (though they now recod deaths as "died with covid", not ffrom covid. 

• Confused 1

I get that people are tired of COVID and COVID restrictions after 2+ years. And I get that wearing face masks can be unpleasant for some...

But none of that changes the public health realities of the situation, and the proven best practices people can take to protect themselves and those around them as much as possible -- vaccinated and boosted, social distancing, face mask wearing.

If I have to spin the COVID roulette wheel, I want to make my odds of avoiding it -- and if I happen to still get it surviving it with as little harm as possible -- the best I can make them.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

And why should people want to do their best in trying to avoid COVID, even of the Omicron variety? Also from Johns Hopkins:

"Another study, published in Nature Medicine on May 23, found that 1 in 8 adults who were hospitalized with COVID-19 developed myocarditis 28 to 60 days post-discharge, and many COVID-19 survivors experienced reduced exercise capacity, lower quality of life, and persistent abnormalities in heart, lung, and kidney exams.

The researchers said study participants’ post-COVID conditions were more closely correlated with the severity of their COVID-19 infection, not their underlying health condition prior to infection, and they cautioned these persistent health problems could place a substantial demand on healthcare services in the future, as more people survive COVID-19."

AND

"Results from a large study published this week in the US CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) estimates that ... both age groups [of COVID cases] had twice the risk of uninfected people of developing respiratory symptoms or other lung problems, including pulmonary embolism."

Source link

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BayArea said:

Like I said before,  Thailand will have a hard time lifting the much awaited masks mandate completely. It has become a vital weapon for this junta to control the mass without firing a single shot. As long they conditioned the population about the risks of covid, they will appear to be in control.  This perpetual fear prevents street protests and large public gatherings to challenge this unlawful government. 

do you ever wear a mask when the AQI is unhealthy which is quite a few times during the year in South Asia including Bangkok and Chiang Mai?  Or since you don't see a need for masks do you think the medical people giving you statistics on lung problems here in this region?  Just asking...a friend many years ago was an avid runner - female type world class type and a dip.  when she returned from a tour in Bangkok, during the regular physical checkup, the doctor told her that he saw that she was in terrific physical conditioning but advised her to stop smoking.  She told the dr that she never had smoked in her life - they concluded that it was running so often in the foul air of Bangkok.  Just saying.

3 hours ago, champers said:

I heard on the local Pattaya radio station this morning that all over 60s may be required to keep on wearing a mask. Time to get a facelift, perhaps.

No need for a facelift. The lovely ladies say I only look 50 with the mask on. Do not understand why the thinning white hair does not give my age away.

22 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Which is exactly why Australia has 40K+ cases a day and daily deaths are increasing (though they now recod deaths as "died with covid", not ffrom covid. 

And NSW is having record numbers of regular flu now that no one are wearing masks.

So many seem to think not wearing masks is a good idea. Just discovered a woman a few doors down died of Covid. I guess Thailand can afford to accept more deaths but what happens when tourists find out numbers were covered up?

If only people who don't want to wear masks would tell their doctor next time they have an operation that they don't want the surgeon and nurses to wear a mask! But they won't because they don't want to die.

• Confused 1

Proposal to partially ease mask restrictions in certain provinces, including Bangkok, by mid-June:

3.jpg.8c4088a680fe2f8ca5d0530c95a5cc4d.jpg

The face mask mandate will be lifted in Blue and Green zones from the middle of June, as Thailand transitions to endemic Covid-19

"The Public Health Ministry will ask the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) to scrap mandatory mask-wearing in areas with low infection and high vaccination rates, said ministry permanent secretary Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit.

However, face masks will still be required at gatherings and in poorly ventilated venues – and must also be worn by the elderly, pregnant women and people with chronic diseases.

The mask mandate will still apply for people in 46 provinces in the Yellow (high-surveillance) Zone."

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40016016?fbclid=IwAR3VuRAzac_PkMAYKSaiA0De0xfRX54mmnYsoRhTlBvd_Hm2X7McINxFgHA

2 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

Is anywhere in Thailand doing any testing? Does anyone know actually how people are infected today, yesterday? Did the reporting stop and they don't bother anymore? What is actually going on here now? 

The teachers were tested on the day the school reopened, not sure who provided the test kits. The local private schools required kids to submit a negative test on the day before they returned. None of the Govt schools in our area required pupils to take a test before they returned to school.

Someone on here the other day said 80-90% of people in England are still wearing masks.

I don't know where he lives, but certainly not in London or Leeds.

Both have very few people wearing masks - occasionally you'll see an elderly person wear one on the bus/shop. My Mum(84) wears one on the bus on her way to Bingo, my wife wears one inside a shop but at no other time They're pretty much a thing of the past.

If Thailand wants to move forward they need to make them voluntary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XJPSX said:

Even the USA has stopped wearing them. BA does not even require them on flights and good luck finding anyone in Australia that has a mask on anywhere!

More from the U.S. perspective... basically, there's no longer much political will to enforce face masks mandates, since a goodly share of the public opposes them, according to polls. But the worsening COVID situation on the ground actually warrants them being worn in much of the country based on the CDC's own standards, per Johns Hopkins:

"As of May 19, at least 45% of the US population lived in areas experiencing medium-to-high COVID-19 community levels, meaning people should be wearing masks or considering masking based on their personal risk. COVID-19 community levels are calculated using new COVID-19 hospital admissions and percent of inpatient beds occupied by patients with COVID-19, both lagging indicators of COVID-19 transmission.

But the agency’s data on community transmission shows more than 75% of the country is experiencing high or substantial numbers of new cases, suggesting much of the nation should be wearing masks in indoor public spaces and prompting some experts to recommend localities, businesses, and other entities reinstate mask mandates."

Source link

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, XJPSX said:

good luck finding anyone in Australia that has a mask on anywhere!

In my town I’d say 10-20% are still wearing them inside supermarkets and shopping malls. Curiously, about the same percentage are wearing them outdoors, and I’m talking near deserted footpaths, not crowded street markets. This suggests to me that the mask diehards are either ultra fearful, or maybe making some kind of political statement.

Apparently they’re still mandatory on public transport, though I don’t know how many are wearing them there, as I’ve not used public transport for over 2 years, and won’t until the mask mandate applying there is lifted.