Swedish woman dies after being hit by motorcycle in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

by Gregers Møller 

A Swedish woman died after being hit in Khao Lak in Thailand by a motorcycle. The woman who reportedly was in her 60’s was hit when she crossed the road in the popular seaside resort on the Andaman coast north of Phuket.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The woman hit her head when she fell the doctors at the hospital where she was brought in were not able to save her life, reports Aftonbladet.

Full story: https://scandasia.com/swedish-woman-dies-after-being-hit-by-motorcycle-in-thailand/

sca.jpg

-- © Copyright ScandAsia 2022-05-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 10

Sad to hear of another foreigner struck down in their prime retirement years.  Road safety is atrocious.  Headed out to the hospital yesterday for an appointment and I was almost mowed down by a grab rider driving on the sidewalk.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Obviously I don't know the whole story , but living in Sweden , wouldn't she be used to the traffic coming from the other way when she steps off the kerb ?

That is a good point.

I see it a lot here on Samui.

Foreigners (both young and old) looking to the left before crossing the road.

Then I just know that they are going to walk out in front of me.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That is a good point.

I see it a lot here on Samui.

Foreigners (both young and old) looking to the left before crossing the road.

Then I just know that they are going to walk out in front of me.

But in Thailand u need eyes up your A**  even when walking on the footpath

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Obviously I don't know the whole story , but living in Sweden , wouldn't she be used to the traffic coming from the other way when she steps off the kerb ?

Yes. That's why very few Brits get creamed crossing the road here. Mind you, they fare far worse in the US.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sad to hear of another foreigner struck down in their prime retirement years.  Road safety is atrocious.  Headed out to the hospital yesterday for an appointment and I was almost mowed down by a grab rider driving on the sidewalk.....

What's the big deal? You were heading for the hospital anyway, no?

• Haha 2

The road through Khao Lak is lethal! Oh, and they're making it even faster and wider! Ok, from Phuket to Khao Lak needed widening, but THROUGH Khao Lak has pedestrians, song taews, local motorcyclists, tourists and more.

RIP poor lady! ????

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

I don't know how many times I have nearly been hit crossing the road, by motorcycles here going the wrong way.

22 minutes ago, rwill said:

Also here you need to look both directions no matter which way the traffic normally flows.

I am the same , but when you are a tourist and everything is new to you , who knows.

30 minutes ago, rwill said:

Also here you need to look both directions no matter which way the traffic normally flows.

When my sister and niece were visiting me I told them to look SIX WAYS before trying to cross the road - and do it twice.

Remember, not only do they come at you from left and right, on the roadway, but also on the sidewalk.  You might also walk into a neck-high cable, strung across your path, or step into a hole.  It really is dangerous here and the standard of driving is truly appalling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

I live in a place where, before Covid, there were a lot of Swedish tourists, and during the high season i had to be very careful of Swedes on motorcycles because, more often than not, they would look the wrong way at a junction.

It isn't clear who is at fault in this case but one thing for sure, when tourists come you have to cross roads like Thais not like foreigners who often expect things to be the same as back home, classic example is Indians who just walk out in the middle of traffic and expect vehicles to stop

3 hours ago, NE1 said:

It doesn't actually matter what side of he road people are supposed to drive on. In Thailand it's optional and whichever side is more convenient to the driver - especially motorcyclists. In Thailand you always, always, always look both ways before crossing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 2long said:

The road through Khao Lak is lethal! Oh, and they're making it even faster and wider! Ok, from Phuket to Khao Lak needed widening, but THROUGH Khao Lak has pedestrians, song taews, local motorcyclists, tourists and more.

RIP poor lady! ????

I have wondered about the eventual completion of the the road works on Sukhumwit by the Ambassador. No one ever uses the pedestrian bridge, restos and massage all on the other side. Will there be a huge toll on Russian and Chinese tourists.....if they ever come back?