US gun control: What is the NRA and why is it so powerful?

webfact

image.jpeg

Relatives of children at the Robb Elementary School in Uvalde gathered at a nearby civic centre //IMAGE SOURCE, REUTERS

In the wake of a school shooting in Texas that left 19 children and two adults dead, President Biden asked: "When are we going to stand up to the gun lobby?"

The National Rifle Association (NRA), the largest gun-owners' organisation in the US, lobbies against gun-control laws. It is holding its annual meeting in Texas, from Friday 27 to Sunday 29 May.

What has the NRA said about the Texas shooting?

The NRA condemned the shooting in Uvalde, calling it a "horrific and evil crime" and "the act of a lone, deranged criminal". It said it would "redouble our commitment to making our schools secure."

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35261394

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2022-05-28

People should remember that the 2nd amendment was  written when there was hardly any machine guns, or rapid fire rifles.

It was when people actually needed to pack some sort of firearm for their protection. Thanks jingthing for your video, and jingjai9.  I am glad that most countries do not have this 2nd amendment in their constitutions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannork said:

Now if only one of these crazed lone wolf gunmen would enter the NRA annual meeting and let loose, the NRA representatives, at least those left alive,  might start to understand that guns are the problem.

Congratulations. Your comment is:

1. Really Sick - "because 20 innocent people got massacred, I wanna see many many more die of the same fate to make them start to understand my P.O.V. better"

2. Really Thick - surely the lone gunmen would be shot to pieces within seconds? Because it's the NRA? R for Rifle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle

Edited by Atlantis
Spelling
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Why?

My guess is they are stronger than the minority that want to change the constitution.

The solution is very simple...

The common denominators are all these wanna be scumbags advertise their macho on social media's.

Tweak the algorithm so it recognizes guns ammo rifles.

When the censor botts recognize them they get red flagged to enforcement who go round for a chat and confiscation.

Guns don't kill people...people kill people.

Edited by wombat
  • Confused 1

1. Remove larger magazines. Make 3-round clips largest legally permitted. That's large enough for hunting. Make possession of larger rifle magazines a criminal offense.

2. Enforce existing gun regulations. That's not being done now.

3. Require training, testing, health checks, licensing, and insurance, for firearm ownership. We do that for driving. Why not for firearms? The Constitution with its 2nd Amendment can be amended again. It's been done before.

There are already plenty of 'infringements' to firearms ownership; it takes three separate licenses to own a fully automatic firearm, shoulder-fired missiles, etc. A few more infringements can do a world of good.

4. Make any crime committed with a firearm punishable by Life Imprisonment Without Parole at Hard Labor.

This won't completely stop the crazies, but it will sure slow down crime with firearms. 17yr old gangbangers will think twice before shooting rivals at schools, or in drive-by shootings that go on several times a day in the U.S.  Life imprisonment without parole. Not a one or two year sentence that becomes a status symbol to gang members.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Profits, money, political bribes 'contributions', buying of politicians and political parties, corruption, greed, inhumanity, racial and social indifference to name but a few. So perverse so utterly perverse.

Complete lack of integrity

7 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Congratulations. Your comment is:

1. Really Sick - "because 20 innocent people got massacred, I wanna see many many more die of the same fate to make them start to understand my P.O.V. better"

2. Really Thick - surely the lone gunmen would be shot to pieces within seconds? Because it's the NRA? R for Rifle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle

Well considering members of the NRA and their supporters are generally talking violent sick s***t condoning anything that allows armed people to kill at random it appears most of them have their heads up their own backsides so hence won't see an armed intruder enter their conference hall. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bannork said:

You say guns don't kill people, people kill people but you're omitting the blindingly obvious- a gun kills a lot quicker than a knife.

The shooter in the school in Texas, how many could he have killed using a knife before he was overpowered? Probably none because killing with a knife is harder and much more personal.

Guns are lethal anonymous weapons, if you  continue to grant the general population easy access to them, then mass shootings will continue in the land of the 'free'. 

Does being killed by a knife make you any less dead?

I disagree with the the title, and think (IMHO) that the NRA, is far from powerful.  They boast a 5 mill membership, and think they are being overly kind to themselves.   Considering the number of legal gun owners, and population of USA, simply shows, they aren't really liked by anyone.

I personally don't know anyone who would be a member, after their strong stance against wanting every gun sale registered.  That was their final silliness, and membership plummeted. 

All the gun owners I've known, contrary to news spinning, WANT strong regulations for 'selling' firearms.   BUT, they want to be able to buy what they choose, higher capacity mags.  Do they want 30 round mags, not really, but definitely more than 5 round mags.

Assault weapons, are not one of those, again, only 2 states even allow, and complicated & expenses to get permission to own.   Only the silliest collector would bother.  Only the most ignorant person, keeps spewing the 'need to ban assault rifles' over & over, as they basically have been banned for decades.   Please stop showing your ignorance by using that term, 'assault rifle'.  

NRA is bankrupt for a reason, few support them, except politicians who will take their money.  Here's a good news-blip, that has some interesting numbers & thoughts.   Shows Americans, won't be changing the 2nd Amendment anytime soon.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

Part about % wanting stricter laws, could simply be as most I know think, simply closing the few loopholes left open, and there are very few of those.  Registration at private sales mostly.  Not much actual change, of that, the change wouldn't actually affect much.  But closing better than leaving open.  Close one way gang banger could arm themselves.

As it stands now, Americans do NOT want to change the 2nd Amendment, when they do, it will be changed.   The same as other amendments, about minority & women's rights, voting rights, prohibition, etc etc that were changed.

If you take the time, very little, and realize how many guns are in the USA, and stats on how many 'legal' guns are registered, you'll understand why, people want firearms for protection.

200-390 million estimated guns in USA

Less than 10 million legally registered. According to this, though I think they missed a few:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/215655/number-of-registered-weapons-in-the-us-by-state/

Doing the math, that gives the criminals a 20-39 to 1 advantage.  hmm

• Like 1