Visa assistance for a Laos married to a Thai

Hi guys

I am looking for information that may assist our neighbours, she is Laos and married to a Thai, they are battlers.

Wife was talking to the Laos wife the other day and had no idea she was Laos and she said yes, I have to go to the border every month and pay 1,900 baht to get a monthly extension.

My wife said, but I though Laos people could enter just with an ID card and she said that used to be the case pre pandemic but they changed the rules.

Any advice to give to this woman would be appreciated, she has to adult kids with her Thai husband, but as immigration is not my area of expertise if anyone has any ideas on saving her 1,900 baht a month would help them go a long way, as I did mention they are battlers.

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Wait for @ubonjoeto confirm this, but I believe there is a solution. As long as the couple are legally married under under Thai or Lao law, it should be possible to get a Non O visa followed by one-year extensions without the need to show any financial proof. If they are not yet  officially married, I would imagine that (given their ages and long term relationship) getting permission to marry from the Lao authorities, and registering their marriage with the local amphoe in Thailand ought to be possible. Having done this, the only cost would be the annual extension.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

My wife said, but I though Laos people could enter just with an ID card and she said that used to be the case pre pandemic but they changed the rules.

Showing her ID card for entering the country is using border pass that allows about a 3 days stay.

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

As long as the couple are legally married under under Thai or Lao law, it should be possible to get a Non O visa followed by one-year extensions without the need to show any financial proof.

The marriage being legal might be the hang up for getting a non-o visa and extension. It can be done but may not be that easy. Having the marriage registered at a Amphoe might the hard part.

To apply for the one year extension of stay the husband can be asked to show proof on income. The basic number at many offices is 15k baht of monthly income.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Showing her ID card for entering the country is using border pass that allows about a 3 days stay.

The marriage being legal might be the hang up for getting a non-o visa and extension. It can be done but may not be that easy. Having the marriage registered at a Amphoe might the hard part.

To apply for the one year extension of stay the husband can be asked to show proof on income. The basic number at many offices is 15k baht of monthly income.

Thanks Joe

I discussed this further with my wife last night and she said, they are not legally married and her own enquiries from other Thai's who have Laos partners said as you and BritTim have suggested.

Not an easy path, can take years and lots of travel to and from Laos as well.

Oh well, was worth a shot, but many thanks for all input, will tell the wife to see if they can try the Amphur 1st, as for the 15k a month, doubt that they even make half that.

• Like 1

Something doesn't add up here. As a Laotian, you get a 30 days visa exempt upon arrival in Thailand, this means you can get a 30 days extension at the immigration office without leaving the country.

Why does she need to go to the border to get an extension ?

Doesn't solve the fact that she needs to spend 1900k but might save her a trip to the border.

1 hour ago, RedReding said:

Something doesn't add up here. As a Laotian, you get a 30 days visa exempt upon arrival in Thailand, this means you can get a 30 days extension at the immigration office without leaving the country.

Why does she need to go to the border to get an extension ?

Doesn't solve the fact that she needs to spend 1900k but might save her a trip to the border.

The 30-day waiver (similar to visa exempt, but via a bilateral agreement) afforded to Lao citizens is not eligible for the 30-day extension at an immigration office. On the plus side, it is not subject to the limit of two per calendar year imposed on regular visa exempt entries.

What I am unsure of is whether (at least at some immigration offices) a 60-day Covid extension might be possible. Although not a long term solution, this could be a money saver in the short term. Probably worth checking.

• Like 1

My wife is Lao and I can assure the OP that this was the rule before Covid as well.  Every month she had to do a border run to be stamped in again for 30 days.  Now that we are officially married she got a non-O visa and gets an annual extension of stay as my dependent.