Legal documents via Fax

The best way in my opinion, is to email the notice and ask for confirmation of receipt.

Can do that with Fax but you need some kind of proof they received it as with email.

The other alternative is send via a trackable mail service so you have proof of delivery.

The point being, sending it is not proof of receiving it, that's what is needed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The best way in my opinion, is to email the notice and ask for confirmation of receipt.

Can do that with Fax but you need some kind of proof they received it as with email.

The other alternative is send via a trackable mail service so you have proof of delivery.

The point being, sending it is not proof of receiving it, that's what is needed.

I tried it via email, FB Messenger, and their website. No reply at all (except one that stated 'this email address is not suitable for enquiries').

What, if I have the delivery report from the fax machine?

As for the trackable mail service, what options do I have from Thailand, and any idea what such service would cost to Austria, the U.S., and Australia? (It's a complicated organisation, and I'd like to send it to two places, if reasonably priced, with the intent to visit one of their offices in Oz later this year, presenting proof of me sending their organisation my cancellation in time.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

What is a FAX?

Just incase you are serious.

noun
  1. an image of a document made by electronic scanning and transmitted as data by telecommunication links.
    "we got a three-page fax from her assistant"
verb
  1. send (a document) by fax.
    "please fax the agreement to me"

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Just incase you are serious.

noun
  1. an image of a document made by electronic scanning and transmitted as data by telecommunication links.
    "we got a three-page fax from her assistant"

verb
  1. send (a document) by fax.
    "please fax the agreement to me"

People my age even can remember telex...

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

What's up has built  in confirmation via it's 'ticking' system.

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Sounds good. 

If you're just sending a couple of pages, you can E-fax from your computer, here are some free ones.

I had to send a physical fax to Service Canada and they only accept hard copy. You get a record and it's traceable. 

Worked like a charm

https://www.pocket-lint.com/apps/news/158430-online-fax-services

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me there's no blanket yes or no to this question, it depends on the policies and regulations of the recipient. 

Agree, but as long as he gets a response saying something like, "we have received your request etc..." wouldn't that be enough?

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Agree, but as long as he gets a response saying something like, "we have received your request etc..." wouldn't that be enough?

In some cases probably yes.

However if I send a document to my bank in Australia as an e.mail attachment they reply quickly saying that they received the attachment and it opens but they can't accept it, only by fax.

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Also phone them, use Skype if concerned about cost, you just want them to update the system.

I definitely wouldn't rely on fax, which are easily lost or binned

Well yes but it's also very possible that e.mail attachments are never opened, or opened but never printed and e.mails regulaly deleted. 

The reality is that most organizations (e.g. Aust. gov't agencies like Centrelink, DVA, Medicare and I think tax have policies that e.mails can easily be diverted and doctored, whereas fax messages can't.

Ultimately the receiver can dictate how they will accept documents. As per my example with my bank, I've found that fax seems to be the accepted sending process. 

I presume you know US law, I don't, but can confirm that in the UK for many years a fax has been considered by the courts a legally acceptable document. Also for interest, it is only necessary to prove the sending of a postal letter, it's considered as having been received. I imagine that fax should work the same way (in the UK).