Inmates given all clear to resume clearing waterway by new Bangkok governor

webfact

screenshot_17904.jpg

By Erich Parpart

The Ministry of Justice is ready to send inmates to clear waterways in the capital after the new Bangkok governor agreed with the ministry’s proposal to resume the project.

“This will allow inmates that are about to be released to make some income and gain some happiness of being temporary outside,” Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin told reporters at parliament on Thursday.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

“I understand that clearing the drainage system would require hiring a private company and the budget for it probably ran out…since there are only four months left in this budget year,” he said.

Source: https://www.thaienquirer.com/40601/inmates-given-all-clear-to-resume-clearing-waterway-by-new-bangkok-governor/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-06-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

What a good idea.. At last someone with a view and doing something. Yes it is not the best job job, but they will earn money and can start to rehabilitate again.. The Governor shows that he really will change a lot. ext move the masks and opening hours so soon normal life will be again back in Bangkok.. Hats off for hi,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

What a good idea.. At last someone with a view and doing something. Yes it is not the best job job, but they will earn money and can start to rehabilitate again.. The Governor shows that he really will change a lot. ext move the masks and opening hours so soon normal life will be again back in Bangkok.. Hats off for hi,

This is not a new thing...  key word... ‘Resume’... 

Inamtes have always been used cleaning drainage etc - I have often seen them doing so in the past. 

I’m not sure if this stopped recently due to Covid-19, perhaps this article refers to the reimplementation of this practice, its not as if the new Governor had a lightbulb moment !! 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:13 PM, webfact said:

“This will allow inmates that are about to be released to make some income

Now I wonder how much they get paid ......notice how

the heading says clearing waterways , there  sewers .

regards Worgeordie 

Edited by worgeordie
Add on