Obtaining a Residence Certificate to purchase motorcycle

Let me give you some background first and then I hope someone of you knowledgeable people can help me out.

I have lived and worked in Thailand for 8.5/6.5 years, same BOI company.  I own a truck and 2 other motorcycles that were registered in my name using my work permit.  Now, Land Office in BKK is asking for a residence certificate when trying to register another bike in my name.  I asked my HR to ask local immigration and they said they don't give them.

Some sites I see you need a signed TM-30 from landlord.  Not sure how to get this as my landlord does online.

Some sites say you need to fill out TM-18 to receive a TM-16, this form doesn't ask for TM-30 but has some very high fees 95K to 105K baht.  I read it is supposed to be free.

I live and work in the Ayutthaya area, would be great if I could obtain from local immigration.

Very confused, need to take a day off to get this so need to get it right the first time.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff 

PS, I know I can write a statement and have it stamped by US embassy but prefer not to go that route as it is much more expensive

Last time I bought motorbike and car living in a rented condo, I got the manger/ landlord to give me an statement I was living there, and went to immigration for the residence certificate done on 30 min with help from the copy lady outside to fill in the form. This was Hua Hin. 300,- bath for copy lady, 500 for Immigration. 

This might help

https://www.thethailandlife.com/residence-certificate-thailand

• Like 2

Why don't you register it in Ayutthaya if you are living there?

The DLT in Bangkok probably wants a certificate of residence from Bangkok immigration, which you won't get because you are not living in Bangkok.

The TMXX forms which you found are for permanent residency, that's unrelated to your certificate of residence for registering a vehicle.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Why don't you register it in Ayutthaya if you are living there?

The DLT in Bangkok probably wants a certificate of residence from Bangkok immigration, which you won't get because you are not living in Bangkok.

The TMXX forms which you found are for permanent residency, that's unrelated to your certificate of residence for registering a vehicle.

Thanks for the reply.  I bought the bike from a dealer in Bangkok but I think he isn't on the best terms with the folks there.  The dealer suggested we do it in BKK and I thought no problem as I have a WP.  Unfortunately, the WP has my company address on it and they won't accept it.  I have bought 3 other vehicles using it.  Going to Ayutthaya is a last resort.  Prefer to go the residency certificate route.  If I go to Ayutthaya, the dealer is not going to help.

I have read many websites and people's experiences.  They are all different.  I need to take a day off work to do this so I want to be sure I have everything I need.  Right now, my main concern is the signed TM-30 by my landlord.  When he registered me online, he said he got no confirmation so only have a screenshot showing it was entered on this date.  No address either.  I have a 90 reporting receipt of Notification but that doesn't show an address either.

Thanks again for your reply.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

At CW the main thing that they want for residence certificate is 90 day report.

You could obtain a screenshot of the TM30 from your landlord. 

Perhaps not even required.

Most all websites I see say that they require the signed TM30 now.  Strange, my 90 days Receipt of Notification, has no address on it. Hard to believe they would accept that.    Maybe I will have a friend call down there and clarify before taking a day off.

Thanks for the reply

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Applying for a yellow book may be a solution.

Ask your HR dept if they are able to assist you in this.

It is a last resort but will take under consideration.  ????  Thanks for the reply.

54 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Strange, my 90 days Receipt of Notification, has no address on it. Hard to believe they would accept that.

Note my post was specific to CW.

Your address is on file from a 90 day report.

It's just not on the receipt.

As I stated you cannot obtain a residence certificate in CW without a 90 day report. 

BTW, I did not provide a TM30 at CW.

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, nana kid said:

Since we're on a Certificate of Residence    which is what Bangkok Bank needs to open an account

what does the U.S. Embassy need to get one.

You will need to complete blank affidavit stating your address on it and sign it in front of consular officer.

See: https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

The fee will be $50 or you can pay in baht. You will need to make a appointment to do it. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

13 minutes ago, nana kid said:

Since we're on a Certificate of Residence    which is what Bangkok Bank needs to open an account

what does the U.S. Embassy need to get one.

To open bank account with Bangkok Bank generally you need a residence certificate from immigration OR letter from your embassy.

Note my reference to CW above that for RC, CW require you to have made 90 day reports.

This is issue for folk on eg tourist visa or visa exempt. 

17 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Applying for a yellow book may be a solution.

Ask your HR dept if they are able to assist you in this.

Then the pink card-- been 2 years for me, the more I have it (& the Thai's get use to seeing them)  the more useful it seems to be.

• Like 1

Just now, sanuk711 said:

Then the pink card-- been 2 years for me, the more I have it (& the Thai's get use to seeing them)  the more useful it seems to be.

I had problems getting my yellow book but at the time I was informed that this varied between different land offices.

My local office told me a few times to come back, as the person who dealt with issuing the yellow book wasn't in the office.

Eventually, I got my wife to make an appointment and it was issued without any further problems.

Once you have the yellow book, the ID card is a doddle.

6 minutes ago, nana kid said:

It's a round about way but I am thinking that a C R from the Embassy to open an account to deposit 800,000 B would be a path to a Non-O visa

The original poster already has a visa, he's after a proof of address (Residence Certificate).

18 hours ago, Hummin said:

Last time I bought motorbike and car living in a rented condo, I got the manger/ landlord to give me an statement I was living there, and went to immigration for the residence certificate done on 30 min with help from the copy lady outside to fill in the form. This was Hua Hin. 300,- bath for copy lady, 500 for Immigration. 

This might help

https://www.thethailandlife.com/residence-certificate-thailand

I did similar ... but slightly different in Phuket ... simply provided landlords ID Card - coloured, decent quality copies (both sides), a copy of my lease (when I was renting prior to owning, took original with me too just in case - last year I took my 'house book' and was granted my 5 year - very easy especially since I have some slightly better Thai and took my boxing coach along for the ride too to help out), my Aussie License (still current), International Drivers permit, I even took photos of my then condo, and outside me with my car and bike and the landlord in front of the condo signs (not needed but I thought may be helpful).

The copy lady next to the licensing offices in Phuket Town was very helpful and kind and about 200 baht I think, seeing as I had some copies already done. She knew exactly what was what, and even put all the copies in the correct order for me too ☺️????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jtrump said:

Most all websites I see say that they require the signed TM30 now.  Strange, my 90 days Receipt of Notification, has no address on it. Hard to believe they would accept that.    Maybe I will have a friend call down there and clarify before taking a day off.

Thanks for the reply

They will probably want both, TM30 and 90 day report.

That CW only issues a certificate of residence if you have done a 90 day report in Bangkok is a fact.

The alternative is to use an "agent" to get the Residence Certificate, in Pattaya it costs B1000, get back same day, relax and have a coffee while you wait, less stress, but you will need to provide the green book, or at least I was asked too, when I changed a bikes ownership recently

OP it’s been a long time when I got a Yhai drivers license needed certificate of residence which I got 

two letter Car/Moto. Cost 300 baht seems it should work for your needs. This was in UT.