Airport Arrival With Pizza Oven | Duties?

josephbloggs

Hi,

I am returning to Thailand next week and carrying a small wood fired pizza oven (15kg) that I bought.  Does anyone know if I can go through the green channel or should I go to red and declare it?  And if so what would be the duty to pay?  I have searched and can't find if there would be duties to pay or not.  It is not an electric item.

It cost £250 so not an expensive thing, so if I have to pay it's ok, but if I don't have to I would obviously rather go through green and not have the hassle.  Taking it out of the box and making it look used is not an option, I'll be taking it in its original packaging.

Any thoughts or advice?

Screenshot 2022-06-04 at 8.43.20 PM.png

159284.jpg

Should be OK. Just choose to exit via customs following some Thai HiSos smuggling luxury branded handbags and you'll be fine. Advise not transporting your pizza oven in a cardboard box or you're more likely to get hassled. Wrap it up or put it in a suitcase. 

Edited by soi3eddie

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

There is a pinned calculator for import at the head of this forum.

Based on the information provided.

Importing a product classified with HS Code  84172000 to TH from GB with a value of 250 GBP results in the following:

Duty & Tax Charges

Duty: 0 THB (Rate of 0 %)

VAT: 749.47 THB (Rate of 7 %)

Total: 749.47 THB

That said, as stated above put it in a suitcase and it's luck of the draw. Probably won't get stopped, but if you do, you have a good indication what to expect.Make sure you have the purchase receipt proving value.

Thank you Charlie, that is really helpful.  I think I'll print out the receipt and declare it, if it's only 7% VAT then it's no big deal.

It's nicely packed in the box so I think unpacking and repacking would be a hassle.  Plus I already have 20kg of oak pellets in my suitcase....  ????

Over the years I’ve entered with loads of stuff....  

Kids Bike (in a box)

Car Seat (in a box)

Ski’s (in a Ski Bag)

Push-chair (in a large box)

I agree with crossy, the airport customs guys are after easy targets, booze, cigs.... handbags of the not-quite-hi-so-middle-so !!!

I regularly carry in a couple of bottles of decent whisky (Brands which I either can’t buy here or have a double markup) - never stopped, if stopped I’ll just take the hit, I know I was pushing my limits. 

I’m in and out numerous times per year i.e. at usually about 8 entries) and have only ever once been asked to put on of my bags through an x-ray. 

So.... I don’t think the Op will face any issues whatsoever even if he does bring it in inside its original box...    

Additionally, the Pizza oven is worth less than 20,000 baht (at £250 = 10,770B) so it falls within the taxable limit. 

IF the Op wants to have greater confidence of avoiding hassle - put the box in a suit case. 

https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Thank you Charlie, that is really helpful.  I think I'll print out the receipt and declare it, if it's only 7% VAT then it's no big deal.

It's nicely packed in the box so I think unpacking and repacking would be a hassle.  Plus I already have 20kg of oak pellets in my suitcase....  ????

SLIGHT CHANGE OF SUBJECT.... 

That Pizza oven looks awesome, I’ve actually looked at the same model in the UK and through about brining it back.... 

Josephbloggs.... once you’ve arrived, cracked your dough recipe and have made a good pizza how about starting a thread so we can see how good this oven is ???  ????????????????????

Try to bring the receipt with you, just in case.

One time I flew into BKK with 2 large suitcases, one with clothes and the other with a lot of high end (used) kitchen & cook ware, there's nothing on the customs form that needed to be declared so I went through the green lane without any issues.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

SLIGHT CHANGE OF SUBJECT.... 

That Pizza oven looks awesome, I’ve actually looked at the same model in the UK and through about brining it back.... 

Josephbloggs.... once you’ve arrived, cracked your dough recipe and have made a good pizza how about starting a thread so we can see how good this oven is ???  ????????????????????

Cool, flying back Wednesday with the oven and 20kg of oak so will report how it goes (in my limited searches in Bangkok I couldn't find oak pellets so figured I would haul these back to give me something to compare to).  I have also been after this for a long time so really looking forward to giving it a go - good idea to start a thread, I will.  

20 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Cool, flying back Wednesday with the oven and 20kg of oak so will report how it goes (in my limited searches in Bangkok I couldn't find oak pellets so figured I would haul these back to give me something to compare to).  I have also been after this for a long time so really looking forward to giving it a go - good idea to start a thread, I will.  

Internationally imported oak chips......  Hi-So maaaaaak !!! ????

The lengths we foreigners go to in a foreign land to ‘get things’ we want !!!.... 

You can get the wood chips in Thailand. Used in the Smoker oven. Last lot of Hickory I bought in Pattaya, but Lazada may even have them now.

I got pinged with a temperature remote (this was bringing something in via the port from China), all customs seemed to be as happy as they can be until they saw the remote, then they said my unit must be expensive, and pulled an expensive tax figure out of their head.

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

You can get the wood chips in Thailand. Used in the Smoker oven. Last lot of Hickory I bought in Pattaya, but Lazada may even have them now.

I got pinged with a temperature remote (this was bringing something in via the port from China), all customs seemed to be as happy as they can be until they saw the remote, then they said my unit must be expensive, and pulled an expensive tax figure out of their head.

Thanks, but the only wood chips I have found - like Hickory - are for smoking.  But for pizza ovens you want wood that doesn't smoke.  So ideally looking for kiln dried oak or beech.   I am sure it must be available in Thailand, I just haven't found it yet.

I did find some cedar pellets so will try them and compare to the oak I am carrying back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Reporting back.  I just arrived home with my pizza oven in its original box plus 20kg of oak chips.  Not even a second glance at customs, just walked right through.

Thanks for the feedback

On 6/5/2022 at 8:47 AM, CharlieH said:

There is a pinned calculator for import at the head of this forum.

Based on the information provided.

Importing a product classified with HS Code  84172000 to TH from GB with a value of 250 GBP results in the following:

Duty & Tax Charges

Duty: 0 THB (Rate of 0 %)

VAT: 749.47 THB (Rate of 7 %)

Total: 749.47 THB

That said, as stated above put it in a suitcase and it's luck of the draw. Probably won't get stopped, but if you do, you have a good indication what to expect.Make sure you have the purchase receipt proving value.

Great info

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Reporting back.  I just arrived home with my pizza oven in its original box plus 20kg of oak chips.  Not even a second glance at customs, just walked right through.

Nice one... where do you live ?....   we’re coming round for Pizza !!!????

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nice one... where do you live ?....   we’re coming round for Pizza !!!????

Ha ha, I live in Bangkok - just turn left at the 7-Eleven and I'm right there.

Hope to fire it up at the weekend and will make a post.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Ha ha, I live in Bangkok - just turn left at the 7-Eleven and I'm right there.

Hope to fire it up at the weekend and will make a post.

I'm sure some here on the forum will be focused on the AQI levels...