Looking for scent free hand bar soap.

JimmyJ

Was getting PAPOUTSANIS TRADITIONAL OLIVE OIL BAR SOAP (Olive Oil, Water, and one other substance I suppose to solidify it) shipped to me but too difficult here.

Read labels on all soaps at 2 markets - every one has "Fragrance".

"Fragrance" can have any ingredients and for some reason they don 't have to be listed.

I also don't buy animal products, and almost every soap I looked at has Glycerin.

Anybody found something sold in CM (or Thailand) without those ingredients?

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Never looked. Soap is soap.

Glycerin is NOT from animals.

Actually, most things we call 'soap' have no soap in them. The big name brand bars sold in supermarkets and drugstores have none. Just a lot of different chemical sufactants, preservatives, and fragrances. 'Ivory Soap' is one of the only big brands that really are pure 'Castile' (made from olive oil as it's triglycerides)  soap. There are several lesser-know brands that are made with glycerin, but most have other chemicals added to them.

Glycerin is made from triglycerides. Typical plant sources include soybeans or palm.

Animal-derived source would be beef tallow.

I buy pure pharmaceutical grade glycerin soap base at Union Science, melt it down and add a few drops of peppermint oil to it, for a bit of tingle (like the brand 'Irish Spring') in this hot weather, and form it into bath-size bars. Pure soap, cheap as chips!

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Find a shop selling 'Ivory Soap.'  That is pure Castile-style soap, made from Olive oil and lye.

That is very different from what Google says about what it is made from.

???

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Find a shop selling 'Ivory Soap.'  That is pure Castile-style soap, made from Olive oil and lye.

"Looking for scent free hand bar soap."

"The ingredients in Ivory soap include perfume, magnesium sulfate, sodium chloride, water, sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, sodium palm kernelate and sodium silicates.

The newer Ivory soap bars use heavier fragrances to create the aloe and lavender scents."

https://www.reference.com/world-view/ingredients-ivory-soap-10662e54eefe18fc

"I also don't buy animal products..."

Sodium tallowate is a combination of tallow—a fat that is derived from the fatty tissue of sheep or cattle—and lye.

Edited by JimmyJ

11 hours ago, dj230 said:

people still use bar soap?

curious if I may ask why bar soap over liquid soap?

1) Habit.

2) Never noticed an acceptable liquid soap - but also never searched for one specifically.

6 hours ago, Bill97 said:

That is very different from what Google says about what it is made from.

???

I guess Ivory Soap has changed to meet the modern era. They used to advertise that it was "99.44% pure Castile Soap."  It was the main thrust of their advertising. 

However, now they ALSO sell other types of soap as well. Those may contain other ingredients.

According to the company, the original is still 99.44% pure.   https://ivory.com/gentle-bar-soap-original-scent/

Edited by FolkGuitar

49 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I guess Ivory Soap has changed to meet the modern era. They used to advertise that it was "99.44% pure Castile Soap."  It was the main thrust of their advertising. 

However, now they ALSO sell other types of soap as well. Those may contain other ingredients.

According to the company, the original is still 99.44% pure.   https://ivory.com/gentle-bar-soap-original-scent/

https://ivory.com/faqs/

I'm not spotting olive oil in any of the above.

Thank you for trying to help, but it doesn't seem any of these are what I'm seeking.

I'm not sure which of any of the above are 99 44/100 % pure.

Pure what?

Cannot find an ingredients list specifically for "Gentle Bar Soap Original Scent".

Edited by JimmyJ

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

"Simple" products are vegan and free of perfume. The brand is sold in Boots (maybe elsewhere too). I'm not sure whether they sell soap bars, but definitely gel.

Simple Simple Pure Soap 125g - Russells British Store

https://store.boots.co.th/products/simple-kind-to-skin-refreshing-facial-wash-gel/60d97ff7be6d1f3621ebc9bb

Seems to be what I'm looking for!

Will try to get to a Boots tomorrow.

Unfortunately, most every soap, laundry soap, etc have fragrances--usually of some rose or flower--even with infant soaps, it is difficult to find anything fragrance free or non-allergenic--just like it is difficult to find an establishment that is music free.

• 3 months later...

I've become an iHerb convert (although I've found the website really annoyng in mutiple ways).

Doing a search on their site for "Vegan Scent Free Soaps" turns up MANY choices - trying 3 currently.

The site has user reviews of items.

Edited by JimmyJ