"The lights were green" says everyone in 3 vehicle collision - "farang's" pick-up overturns

webfact

8pm.jpg

Naew Na Thai Caption: What a collision! 3 vehicles at a crossroads near the governor's office

The drivers of two vehicles and the passenger in a third all said their lights were on green after an accident near the governor's offices in downtown Udon Thani yesterday.

A caucasian foreigner driving a pick-up ended up in a "miracle" escape as his vehicle overturned. 

Another driver praised his amulets.

Muang Udon traffic police at the scene found a smashed up Nissan Almera, a Toyota and a Mitsubishi Triton on its roof, reported Naew Na

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

8pm2.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Nawara Saengkham said she was with her "chao farang" husband who was driving the Triton.

They'd just left home and were going to a department store. She said the lights were green for them and her husband wasn't going fast.

She saw the Toyota either going straight or turning and there was a collision. She wasn't exaclty sure how they ended up overturned but claimed it was a miracle they were not badly hurt. 

They had managed to clamber out.

Kittinan Rattanathip was with a couple of family members in the Nissan. He'd just been to the department store and was heading for the land office.

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

"My light was on green," he said, "I went into the other two vehicles that had collided".

He said he was saved from serious injury by his seatbelt and the two amulets he wore around his neck and hung in the car. Naew Na went into some detail as to what kind of amulets they were.

The driver of the Toyota, Pratheuang Klinkhlai said his light was green.

There was no damage to state property.

Police are looking at CCTV in the hope that it might provide the key to solving the riddle.

ASEAN NOW notes that there is an adage in Thailand: "Stop on red but take the greatest care on green". 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

I always hope that there is another car in front of me at the traffic lights....Never want to be the first.. Orange is green too in Thailand and even the first seconds of red  also..... and overturning by not speeding????

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Missing translation.

It's a "farang person".

Simply a "farang".

Used in the Thai article:

ชาว  chaao   person
ฝรั่ง  fà-ràng Western Westerner ; Caucasian ; "farang"

Ahhh

I only listen always "falang"
Maybe I am too hansum.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No. You can drive as slow as a bicycle if some idiot racer (has seen green some 2 seconds ago?) punches your car from the side.

(Yes, just speculation. Haven't seen the CCTV)

It might, but I think that the pick-up would have been having bigger damage in that case. If driving at greater speed and a car hit you from the side, it will take smaller damage to make you flip over.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

if you can turn your pickup over at lights, you're probably driving too fast.

Not necessarily.... My Wife managed to turn her car on its side and couldn’t have been going faster than 10kmh !!! 

It's possible to turn a car over at low speed if the wheels catch / climb the other vehicle. 

"The lights were green", as in the past tense? Because that would explain a lot...

Maybe it's about time all drivers who are involved in accidents should be made to take a polygraph test. Because clearly many of them are lying through their teeth.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not necessarily.... My Wife managed to turn her car on its side and couldn’t have been going faster than 10kmh !!! 

It's possible to turn a car over at low speed if the wheels catch / climb the other vehicle. 

So you are saying then that even at a low speed , if you are travelling far to close to the vehicle in front or else you are not paying sufficient attention to the road or traffic conditions, you can still put your vehicle on its side ????

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

He said he was saved from serious injury by his seatbelt and the two amulets he wore around his neck and hung in the car.

Aaah, witchcraft to the rescue again. ????

Such a shame that those two amulets  around his neck didn't stop him buying an agricultural vehicle in the first place, he may have been safer in a vehicle designed for the road rather than the farm

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

So you are saying then that even at a low speed , if you are travelling far to close to the vehicle in front or else you are not paying sufficient attention to the road or traffic conditions, you can still put your vehicle on its side ????

May I suggest you watch 'idiots in cars' on YT, and you'll be surprised how easy some cars tipped over.  Especially larger SUV.  I was quite surprised myself.  Don't know about 10 kph, but way < 50 kph