Former police inspector loses his entire retirement savings to call center gang posing as "fake cops"

webfact

1 minute ago, jabis said:

The article quoted he had to install 2 apps, that thru them accessed the 2 different bank accounts - so without analysing the apps and how they work, it's kind of moot to argue - possibly they were only native "web windowing" apps to either a fake site (ie. a man in the middle attack) or just stealing user input and passing thru to genuine site - point is, they gained access to the users accounts and swiped them both clean using 2 different apps, 1 for each bank, so supposedly the gang knew which is the most lucrative way to exploit users credentials. 

Bank aps use a pin code. Can only use on 1 phone. Websites you use a password.

So aps are more safe.

He must have used websites and they recorded passwords.

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Bank aps use a pin code. Can only use on 1 phone. Websites you use a password.

So aps are more safe.

He must have used websites and they recorded passwords.

@Sparktrader From the original post:

On 6/9/2022 at 10:52 AM, webfact said:

He was told to load a banking app called "Next" for his Krung Thai accounts at two branches. Unbeknownst to him 1.3 million in one account was emptied and 300,000 in another. 

To make matters worse he was then asked if he had any other accounts and said that he had one at the Government Savings Bank. He loaded up their app called Mymo and had a further 200,000 baht siphoned off.

They were not using Official Banking Apps, but 2 "banking apps" that were basically malware... 

On 6/9/2022 at 10:52 AM, webfact said:

He told reporters that on June 1st this year he got a call from the number +69766 9 14097150

+69 = Faroe Islands, I started getting calls from this number this year in May, they started while using a DTAC sim after trying to get though to a UK bank it just kept cutting out after the initial 'Welcome to ........ bank press 1'', and trying to join WISE, I changed sim to 12call, got through to bank first time.

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Why would you download a banking ap from someone telling you online?

You go to google store and find official bank ap.

If the name doesnt match the bank its obviously fake.

Dumb cop.

Not everyone grasps the complexities these days, and many bow to a person being helpful with guru like knowledge, Granddad gives his phone over to the kid to sort some issue out!

Why would a supposedly secure phone even allow apps from an unknown source to be  downloaded and installed?

The sister in law was recently taken in by a blind caller claiming to be the police regarding charges against her... a visit to the police station and she was told it was a scam. They get their hands on your details so easily in Thailand. 

Edited by jacko45k

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not everyone grasps the complexities these days, and many bow to a person being helpful with guru like knowledge, Granddad gives his phone over to the kid to sort some issue out!

Why would a supposedly secure phone even allow apps from an unknown source to be  downloaded and installed?

The sister in law was recently taken in by a blind caller claiming to be the police regarding charges against her... a visit to the police station and she was told it was a scam. They get their hands on your details so easily in Thailand. 

Its not hard. Abc bank says abc bank on the ap.

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Not on google play store. They even have reviews of aps.

Really not that hard. 

You missed the point but perhaps that is my own ignorance....

How does a fake app get onto a phone if it comes from the Play Store?

An app can be loaded from other sources surely.... isn't there an .apk format that can achieve this?

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

You missed the point but perhaps that is my own ignorance....

How does a fake app get onto a phone if it comes from the Play Store?

An app can be loaded from other sources surely.... isn't there an .apk format that can achieve this?

I dont know. I only use play store. I wouldnt use some random website.

I think websites are safer. My internet banking apps on my computer require 3 level security - account number, password and a 3rd level access check which changes every login you make (and also specific to using your own computer). And they always warn you to NEVER give out passwords etc.

I get plenty of dodgy phone calls (usually only Thai speakers, ask for english and they always hang up), but practically no phishing emails - various levels of computer security see to that. 

9 hours ago, rickudon said:

I get plenty of dodgy phone calls (usually only Thai speakers, ask for english and they always hang up), but practically no phishing emails - various levels of computer security see to that. 

Surely you still get the profusion of African Paypal, Nefflix, etc etc phishing emails? I do, and not all go directly to Spam. 

On 6/9/2022 at 6:11 AM, MJCM said:

That should already have been a warning as +69 is NOT the Thailand International Access Number, +66 is!

I have now ALL (unknown) numbers silenced and when someone calls me with an unknown number I will call them back, but 9 out of 10 it's a unreachable number thus Spammer!

It's best to Google the incoming number to see if it's on a list of spam/illicit numbers.

4 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

It's best to Google the incoming number to see if it's on a list of spam/illicit numbers.

Or, if you do not know who it is, block it. I have had strange calls, where someone shouts at you in Thai, purporting to be from Nicaragua!

sunday morning. birds chirping outside......

then this wonderful news to start my day. i love love feel good stories. this kind of positive news needs to be printed more often. could not have happened to a better person. 

• Haha 1

I had a scammer in the U.S. who was really good.  Called to say my electricity or gas was being cut off for non-payment.  But I could pay right now and avoid that. Very convincing and even had a valid callback number (temporary?).  But I had worked in the utility industry for years and they cannot do that. AND I was on auto-pay every month (not that that always works seamlessly).  Scammers are slick and prey on the vulnerable people.

• Like 1