Ukraine war: Foreign Secretary Liz Truss calls death sentence of Britons 'an egregious breach of Geneva Convention'

onthedarkside

Screenshot_2.jpg.2917e0c30e5074c4bb67b13ea01ff084.jpg

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss has said the death sentences handed to two Britons in Ukraine are "an egregious breach of the Geneva Convention".

Ms Truss said she had spoken with her Ukrainian counterpart to "discuss efforts to secure the release of prisoners of war held by Russian proxies".

Prime Minister Boris Johnson was said to be "appalled" by the sentences handed to them and has ordered ministers to do "everything in their power" to secure their release.

(more)

1318066600_SkyNews.jpg.1aaa0bbc267d415ad5eb2c6136b8fddb.jpg

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Bad news sorry to hear but Russia said what it would do and they knew going in.

Got to agree. They are both adults, they knew the risks? They believed they were doing the right thing, which is fair enough, but the got captured.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sad news for the ever stupid Liz Truss, but the UK don't get to decide whether these people are mercenaries. The people who captured them get to make the decision and prosecute them accordingly. 

I don't know about Shaun Pinner, but Adrian Aslin has form as a mercenary. These seems to be no war that he doesn't want o be apart of. He was in Syria fighting for the Kurds first in Aleppo then in Raqqa....I have no room in my world for warmongers like him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

Russia is a signatory of the Geneva Conventions, which give clear criteria for when prisoners are to be considered mercenaries and when they are to be considered prisoners of war.

Both Britons very clearly fall within the "prisoners of war" category and cannot be considered mercenaries according to the Geneva Conventions which were signed by Russia.

There isn't a shadow of a doubt here.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/node/3383/international-standards

I agree, but unfortunately when wars breakout these conventions seem to go out of the window, look what the Japanese did to POW's in WW2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Got to agree. They are both adults, they knew the risks? They believed they were doing the right thing, which is fair enough, but the got captured.

I believe I am correct in saying that at least one of them was a member of the regular Ukrainian army well before the current hostilities broke out.. They had not just rushed there recently.

• Like 2