Thailand-China internet backbone problems. Any workaround?

simon43

For about the past 4 days, I have had major disruption with my Zoom/Skype classes with students in mainland China.  Their internet speed is fast, so is mine.  But in the 'middle' is a problem.....

I did a traceroute and the problem is clear - it is an unreachable router on the 3BB backbone.  I emails 3BB technical support about this, but the words 'traceroute' are not in their dictionary.......  Useless bunch.

Any workaround?  I tried to use a VPN via a server in Hong Kong, but no joy at all.

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If it still fails using a VPN via Hong Kong, wouldn't that prove the fault is outside Thailand ?

The traceroute fails at an ip address that has a DNS name of xxx.3bb.co.th

I have no idea of the routing between my location and the VPN server in HK - maybe it is a multiple location fault?

usually to be sure all works smoothly with China it's better to use WECHAT Tencent/China CCP controlled but... that could be an option

Skype is blocked in China and if I remember my kids friends had problems with Zoom as well

Edited by Mavideol

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

The traceroute fails at an ip address that has a DNS name of xxx.3bb.co.th

I have no idea of the routing between my location and the VPN server in HK - maybe it is a multiple location fault?

Do you mean the IP addy's is masked? This is where it enters 3BB switchgear, you aren't going to get an IP.

You are talking to the wrong people at 3BB - Ask for a call back from the ISP team, they are awesome (actually its been the same guy for years), explain your issue and will solve your issue.

FWIW I haven't had any issues with China this weekend, but others have been reporting issues.

Edited by recom273

Usually I have no problems getting into China using either Zhumu or Zoom.  This is a routing issue with 3BB (at least that is what my traceroute suggests).  I will try using my AIS mobile data to see if that gets around the problem.  (Actually the frustration of interrupted online classes encourages me to go back to in-class teaching, after 4 years of online teaching and away from the classroom.  Unfortunately, if I want to teach in class again, I can't do that in Thailand since I'm considered too old!)