Any news on the A-O visa front?

I haven't looked in to this for some time. 

Covid kind of stopped my plans. Only had a tourist visa stay last winter.

Now when I look at the Thai e-visa site, on A-O visa there is no mentioning of insurance in the list of "Required Document"

So is that gone or am I missing something?

https://thaievisa.go.th/long-stay-visa

Required Document

(Please check relevant embassy/ consulate's website for specifically required documents)

• 1. Passport with validity not less than 6 months.
  • 2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.
  • 3. Financial evidence : a guarantee letter from the bank and a copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 THB or an income certificate with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB or a deposit account plus a monthly income in total not less than 80,000 THB.
  • 4. Certificate of criminal record clearance from the country of nationality. The certificate should be valid not more than three months and should be notarized by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission.
  • 5. Medical certificate from the country where the applicants apply visa stating that applicants don’t have any prohibited diseases as follows; Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis. The medical certificate must be issued no longer than 3 months prior to the date of submission.

Perhaps they are in the process of changing the requirement, however, the application uploads are still required on the online form. Note numbers 8 and 12 in the image.

It does say that the required docs depend on the consulate you are apply though. ???? In my case, I require health insurance. 

281724C5-1E1A-485D-ADC0-8694747D03D5.png

Edited by Nert

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

Why don't you apply within Thailand? 

The police check, medical, AND insurance are still not required using that route as far as I know, and I've done it twice, as a returning retiree.

The process has been covered here annually and endlessly.

What you are describing is obtain a non O retirement in Thailand with subsequent extension.

That is very different to a non O-A.

The non O with extension will require money (800k) to be in Thai bank.

However agree the non O is best option given insurance requirement for non O-A.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What you are describing is obtain a non O retirement in Thailand with subsequent extension.

That is very different to a non O-A.

The non O with extension will require money (800k) to be in Thai bank.

However agree the non O is best option given insurance requirement for non O-A.

Or 65,000 baht monthly?

When I checked the the one year O-A requirements through the "visa Details" info on the Los Angeles Consulate's website yesterday it still had the 100,000$ insurance policy as a requirement.

8.  Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of THB 3,000,000 (100,000 USD) per policy year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

When I checked the the one year O-A requirements through the "visa Details" info on the Los Angeles Consulate's website yesterday it still had the 100,000$ insurance policy as a requirement.

8.  Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for covid-19 disease with the total sum insured oof THB 3,000,000 (100,000 USD) per policy year.

Why don't you call or email the consulate directly? Get the answers straight from the horses mouth.

29 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

8.  Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of THB 3,000,000 (100,000 USD) per policy year.

That is the correct amount as of October of 2021.

See: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa

4 minutes ago, portlandtree said:

That’s wrong it’s been lowered twice once to $50,000 then again but can’t remember to what figure???

You are confusing insurance to a Non-OA visa and the covid 19 insurance required to to get a Thailand Pass that now requires $10,00 for coverage.

The insurance for a Non-OA visa now has to include coverage for covid 19.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Only if your embassy provides income letter 

UK,USA,AU do not

I did the 65,000 December 2021 and no income letter was requested. Just proper bank statements showing monthly amount sent internationally. This was in Pattaya FYI.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mr336 said:

I did the 65,000 December 2021 and no income letter was requested. Just proper bank statements showing monthly amount sent internationally. This was in Pattaya FYI.

I was referring to obtaining non O retirement inside Thailand.

The income method for extension is not an option without income letter from embassy for first extension.

Edited by DrJack54

23 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

That is just being sarcastically pedantic, unless, as others have done, you explain why. 

Of course it was. But its also why people do not get the correct advice. People commonly refer to Visa exempt entry as Visa on Arrival,  Extension of stay based on Retirement as Retirement Visa are prime examples

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 2:35 PM, chalawaan said:

The police check, medical, AND insurance are still not required using that route as far as I know, and I've done it twice, as a returning retiree.

That’s a huge loophole. Are you sure insurance isn’t required? It’s the “as far as I know” part that’s bugging me. If it doesn’t work, then I will have to go back home, rent an apartment, etc. Considerable costs..

On 6/12/2022 at 2:35 PM, chalawaan said:

Because some people don't want to keep 800K locked in a Thai bank or reluctant to bring 65K every month on almost a fixed date. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

On 6/13/2022 at 3:55 AM, Lee4Life said:

The big piece of news that original non-OA visa holders - who have since October 2019 been subject to the mandatory 400,000 THB inpatient / 40,000 THB outpatient health insurance requirement when seeking annual retirement extensions - have been waiting for is when a Police Order confirming an increase in this requirement to 3,000,000 THB or 100,000 USD from 1 September will be issued. Time is now rapidly running out for original non-OA visa holders whose next retirement extension applications are due from this date to make alternative health insurance arrangements, so one would earnestly hope that the Immigration Bureau won't leave it until 23:59:59 on 31 August before issuing the necessary Police Order!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Because some people don't want to keep 800K locked in a Thai bank or reluctant to bring 65K every month on almost a fixed date. 

Regarding the 800K THB funds: My understanding is for the first year you don't have to keep the money in a Thai bank; you just show proof of funds with a statement or letter. The funds can be kept overseas. When you apply for a one year extension after the first year, then you must show the funds in a Thai bank which you can draw down during the year to live on if you wish and replenish it before your annual extension. Seems like a logical policy designed to reduce the risk of having destitute foreigners living in the country.

Edited by Nert

16 minutes ago, Nert said:

Regarding the 800K THB funds: My understanding is for the first year you don't have to keep the money in a Thai bank; you just show proof of funds with a statement or letter. The funds can be kept overseas. When you apply for a one year extension after the first year, then you must show the funds in a Thai bank which you can draw down during the year to live on if you wish and replenish it before your annual extension. Seems like a logical policy designed to reduce the risk of having destitute foreigners living in the country.

You still need to keep 400K locked throughout the year. With O-A you can renew in your home country every two years. No need to keep any money locked in Thai bank. You can spend whatever amount you're comfortable to live.