Student seriously injured after being hit by motorcycle on Zebra X-ing - CCTV footage is clear

webfact

I am not a detective but, if you look carefully at the first and then the third photographs from the CCTV, the first suggests that the girl furthest from the camera is actually running. The third seems to indicate she was the one who was hit and thrown up in the air. This should not be taken as any excuse for the driver, but seems to imply to me that it was not actually a question of not being able to stop in time. He was not trying to stop, nor was there any suggetsion that he was on his phone, but it seems more likely that he thought he could get across in front of the group on the crossing and did not see the one running at the back. I guess this is why, in regulated places like Australia, the children crossing the road are not allowed cross until the warden has blown a whistle to indicate that all traffic has stopped. A bit slow, but it works.

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

but would it not be a good idea for the teaching staff to take turns to monitor the crossings in the morning

You are joking.  Teachers are way too busy teaching kids how to properly nap.  That can leave you exhausted.   Leave the well mannered and well meaning teachers out if this.  My wife’s first son is now able to nap anywhere anytime.   I recently gave his teacher a large tip to thank him for all his efforts to turn Moo into a useless piece of <deleted>.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It doesn't matter what he's done before, the photos show clearly that many students are on the crossing WHICH MEANS HE MUST STOP

he clearly doesn't understand this.

Go back and read the conversation. I quoted another poster. If you read up, you will understand the quotes better. ????

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I don't know how that bike rider didn't see the large group of children on the crosswalk and have time to stop. More likely he thinks he has the right of way.

Prosecutions and heavy penalties are going to be the only way to get the message across.

No good prosecuting or fining the fools,because they will never pay the fine.

Usual selfish Thai driver on the phone or always late going somewhere. 

95% of them are not entitled to hold a dring license bunch of Morons .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Almer said:

You opened your reply with that you didn’t think Thai road users think they have right of way, i said I didn’t get that,  and go and stand close to a crossing for 10 minutes and it is clear Thai  road users DO think they gave right of way, 

????????

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I don't know how that bike rider didn't see the large group of children on the crosswalk and have time to stop. More likely he thinks he has the right of way.

Prosecutions and heavy penalties are going to be the only way to get the message across.

My thoughts exactly: how blind do you have to be to not see that group of kids? And what a gigantic a-hole do you have to be to not stop in an instance like this one? Classic example of me first, me first, me first. They really need to change the law and go after guys like this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr B said:

I am not a detective but, if you look carefully at the first and then the third photographs from the CCTV, the first suggests that the girl furthest from the camera is actually running. The third seems to indicate she was the one who was hit and thrown up in the air. This should not be taken as any excuse for the driver, but seems to imply to me that it was not actually a question of not being able to stop in time. He was not trying to stop, nor was there any suggetsion that he was on his phone, but it seems more likely that he thought he could get across in front of the group on the crossing and did not see the one running at the back. I guess this is why, in regulated places like Australia, the children crossing the road are not allowed cross until the warden has blown a whistle to indicate that all traffic has stopped. A bit slow, but it works.

Exactly right, the girl who was hit by the bike was running, the 2nd photo is out of sequence and should be last, the video has been on the news already.

Watching the video suggests that the bike rider was aware of the group of kids crossing the road and thought he could “ make it “ .

Presumably the running girl caught him unawares, no excuses, he will now pay the price for his “ gamble “.

Only point in his favour is he did immediately double back, that is him on the 2nd photo.

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

For decades nobody cared about it... and how can you expect to change the habbit of not following any traffic rule in a few months?? Start with teach them primary rules in primary schools, make decent education and exams before getting a drivers license and oblige the police to enforce the traffic rules with heavy fines..

Traffic police near me can't even enforce the rules on their own staff. Saw 2 traffic cops on their way to work this morning with their Desert cam SS caps on instead of helmets. Got to work and watched the traffic cop who was on duty at the school crossing having a joke with motorcyclists who were helmetless, well, one had a helmet...it was hanging from his handlebars.

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Because I see too many like this on the rode and they don't care about you, it's all about me, me, me. I am here and you should move for me.

30 minutes ago, Flink said:

Traffic police near me can't even enforce the rules on their own staff. Saw 2 traffic cops on their way to work this morning with their Desert cam SS caps on instead of helmets. Got to work and watched the traffic cop who was on duty at the school crossing having a joke with motorcyclists who were helmetless, well, one had a helmet...it was hanging from his handlebars.

Because they are not held accountable to do their jobs, so why should they. They get paid to play on their phones most of the day. What else do they do?

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

To me, they need some flashing lights at these crossings as drivers just don't stop for faded white strips. Failing to stop happens every where in Thailand, and the people or kids crossing are very scared as they don't know if they will make it or not.

Most don't even have a sign, yet alone a light, faded paint can not be seen. 

Drivers here are what they are. and nothing will ever improve, my neighbour just got sent flying of a M/C when Karaoke equipment ' fell off ' a pick up ! , poor woman luckily no broken bones, or worse, they just don't care or think about anybody around them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Zebra crossing in Thailand is on an advisory bases only, user beware, like wadding through a minefield and you're considered lucky to have crossed one safely...

It shouldn't be so. The law states that vehicles must give way to pedestrians. 

5 hours ago, SymS said:

I simply avoid zebra crossing, too dangerous. Better cross the street at random places like everybody else.

Exactly.. That's one of the very first things that I advise my friends, when they visit Thailand. Do not use PED crossings.. 

Staying safe on Thailand's roads is getting more dangerous each year.  As a walker other vehicles disregard you at best and often actually aim for you by speeding up and trying to buzz you at high speed.  It appears for the adrenalin rush thrill.  

There is an unofficial road system here that appears to be the larger vehicle takes the right of way.  If possible avoid zebra crossings.  My closest near misses have been at zebra crossings as motorscooters fly around cars and trucks blindspots. 

• Like 1

It is, I am afraid as a previous poster called it is about self entitlement.

Once they get a vehicle they believe that they are a class above any person on foot.

I nearly got knocked over by a "messenger " bike rider who came shooting around a blind corner 

on the pavement. After I verbally gave him a mouthful he still wanted to fight me.

• Like 1

Pedestrians are not given the right away by drivers in thailand period…

it is a sad state of affairs that rests solely on poor education/training and even poorer enforcement…the cops themselves don’t believe bicyclists and pedestrian have right of way on roads….the roads belong to vehicles whether trucks cars or motorcycles….

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Discussions about zebra crossings have happened many times.

Maybe 15 years go it came up and the result was zebra crossings with lights at several locations on Third Road, Pattaya.

Pedestrians had to press the button to make the lights change to red and then cross but of course cars didn't stop when the lights turned red.

Even worse  - - the button for pedestrians was located at typical 'top of head' height for a 6ft 3in farang.

Many questions ensured about the height of the button. Answer from Pattaya city hall - - 'because we don't want children to play with the light button'.

Next question - - 'but how can the children cross the road safely if they cannot use the button to stop the cars'.

Answer  - -  'not important', then 'they can run between the cars still moving'.

A couple of years later the lights/buttons etc., all totally removed. 

My visit to Pattaya in 2019 the light controlled pedestrian crossing outside my hotel on 2nd road was not working for the whole month I was there, the light's hanging off the pole it was a bit hairy crossing the road there. It's probably still like that now the Pattaya city fathers are very good at investing in 'New Projects' but abysmal at maintenance. Strangely enough the one on beach road was working and my observation was that all traffic stopped at the red light, even the motorbikes

I am afraid that this will continue for at least another generation. Children are taught at a very young age by their parents on how to drive a scooter. No helmets, cross solid lines, merge into traffic without shoulder checks( just stay close to the curb and hope for the best) pull into traffic until the vehicles have to stop. So from the moment a child can stand they ride standing up in front of the driver and learns all the wrong things.

I wonder ...  If that crossing had a barrier that came down, would that fool have crashed into it anyway? 

"Difficulty stopping in time ..."  How about moving off to the right side of the lane to avoid the pedestrians? He didn't ever attempt to stop or swerve.  Look at the kid flying in the air!

Edited by Damrongsak

17 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

As long as the traffic laws are not really strong enforced as in German or Swiss nothing will change.

Specially when it comes to hiso, all police are afraid

They do endorse the German highway speed limits at least . 

23 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I could say same. If he think he owns the road, he would have hurt more people before.

How do you know he hasn't?  Bullying pedestrians on crossings is a lot more likely to allow repeat transgressions than challenging for the right of way with a heavy vehicle.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

How do you know he hasn't?  Bullying pedestrians on crossings is a lot more likely to allow repeat transgressions than challenging for the right of way with a heavy vehicle.

Did you just sign up for the cultivation program?

On 6/13/2022 at 8:37 AM, Gottfrid said:

Had problem stopping in time??? To me it looks like a fairly big road, with the possibility to see from far away.

Probably driving fast with no breaks on the bike. A friend of mine had a motorbike drive into his car. When he checked the bike because he could not understand why they did not stop he tried to apply full breaks on the bike and he still easily could roll the bike forward just pushing it.