Student seriously injured after being hit by motorcycle on Zebra X-ing - CCTV footage is clear

webfact

3 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Surely there are enough policemen kicking their heels with nothing to do. 

Couldn't One policeman be allocated to One school and man the zebra crossing.

Say an hour in the morning and an hour when the school turns out.

Would that be to much to ask?

Yes!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Had problem stopping in time??? To me it looks like a fairly big road, with the possibility to see from far away.

...why not put police officers there morning/afternoon as a positive road safety initiative. Of course they would need body armor and a swag of amulets. Every sub-district has traffic police.

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

O.K. I am just going to throw this idea out there, and just maybe some school directors, and teachers will take up the challenge.........Now I know, after more than 25 years here, that I am being just a tiny bit optimistic, but would it not be a good idea for the teaching staff to take turns to monitor the crossings in the mornings and afternoons. I realise that a lollipop lady such as we have in England would have a shorter life span than a Kamikaze pilot, but surely a teacher wearing a hi vis jacket could have some success.....................:whistling:

No,the only thing that would register in a Thai drivers ???? would be an armed sniper pointing his rifle down the road while accompanying the children! ???? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

To me, they need some flashing lights at these crossings as drivers just don't stop for faded white strips. Failing to stop happens every where in Thailand, and the people or kids crossing are very scared as they don't know if they will make it or not.

They tried that in Hua Hin but many people just drive through the red light if it's clear on their side.  Just been through it this afternoon and 6 young Thais crossing the road had a green light but had to wait on cars going through the lights on red.  Thais thinks cars always have right of way.  Same as the kamakasi roundabouts, you take your chance. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

More likely he thinks he has the right of way.

I really hate generalization, but aren't almost all motor bike rides not thinkers. You'd think with the number of deaths daily / yearly Darwinism would take hold and all the idiots and their off spring would be gone and a new crop of motor bike drivers would take their place. Ones who obey some of the rules of the road, not to mention the laws. 

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

And made to take compulsory riding lessons to teach them how to stop at a crossing. 

Ordered to pay for an eye test. 

Same as UK these days. Seen so many drivers not give away to pedestrians on zebra crossings... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Earlier today we were in town and had parked safely in a one way street. I instinctively looked to my left before crossing to which my wife asked me why when the traffic will come from the right. 
I replied that safety is second nature to most westerners and why so many of hers will never make my age. She simply smiled. 

I always, always look both ways when crossing the road, even if it's one-way. Always. Twice, too, we've been driving and had someone coming straight at us in the fast lane of the dual carriageway, the driver probably too drunk to know that it is a dual carriageway and he's on the wrong side of the divide. Whenever I step outside my house I am aware that I'm taking my life in my hands.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Same as UK these days. Seen so many drivers not give away to pedestrians on zebra crossings... 

It reminds me when in UK I use to make them stop.

Here they are just crossing not same strict highway code applies to crossings as it does in UK.  

• Like 1

There are no excuses!

if one doesn't apply the brake or slow down until actually at the crossing there isn't time enough to avoid a collision.

As many as 90% of drivers do not stop at these crossings whether people are waiting to cross or even on the crossing itself.

There would be even more accidents if pedestrians weren't acutely aware of sentence two above.

What I don't understand is that most pedestrians are also riders and drivers themselves!

But again - no enforcement of the law or official regard for public road safety. And let's forget that it is likely to change for the better

• Like 2

When will the police begin to enforce traffic laws, especially speeding?  Most people drive entirely too fast,  The police only set up traffic stops to shake down motorcyclists not wearing helmets or having proper driving permits.  Expensive vehicles are never stopped for fear that the drivers will be well-connected.

Better yet, when will driver's education become a part of secondary school curriculum?

• Sad 1

Zebra crossings here are a dangerous joke. Thailand should just close off all zebra crossing access points and build some more over passes, skywalks and underpasses.

Or alternatively become serious about safety and confiscate errant vehicle drivers who put lives at risk, which of course would never happen.

The underpasses system works well and offer opportunities for small shops or stalls as well. I have been in a few asian countries that utilize the underpass and I liked it. Quite a few in operation in metro Manila, even with the monsoon rains.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

Surely there are enough policemen kicking their heels with nothing to do. 

Couldn't One policeman be allocated to One school and man the zebra crossing.

Say an hour in the morning and an hour when the school turns out.

Would that be to much to ask?

Probably, yes...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tigerbeer said:

pisses me off why they cannot stop for pedestrians. Bastards!. 

A lot of cars and almost all motorbikes ignore red lights at these pedestrian crossings. And they jump the change every time. I was wondering why that happened all the time. And then I realised that the lowest level of transport is not a pedestrian in Thailand - theoretically they don't exist. Thai people will not walk anywhere. In Europe the modes of transport are, from lowest to highest; pedestrian, bicycle, motorbike, car, EMS. And the lowest levels are allowed to ignore the rules of the road - well a little bit anyway. Motorbike drivers in Thailand are acting very much like pedestrians in other countries, ignoring traffic lights, zebra crossings, overtaking on the inside or the outside, direction of traffic etc. Once I realised this, I calmed down a little bit - but it still pisses me off when they ignore red lights. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Zebra crossings here are a dangerous joke. Thailand should just close off all zebra crossing access points and build some more over passes, skywalks and underpasses.

Or alternatively become serious about safety and confiscate errant vehicle drivers who put lives at risk, which of course would never happen.

The underpasses system works well and offer opportunities for small shops or stalls as well. I have been in a few asian countries that utilize the underpass and I liked it. Quite a few in operation in metro Manila, even with the monsoon rains.

Bollards. We need bollards.

spacer.png 
spacer.png

• Haha 1