travelling to Thailand with bank issued managers check

Was planning to open a USD account in thailand.. closing an account abroad and can get a manager check.. its a bit more than the normal limit for cash when traveling around.. So is that even legal to carry, or should it be considered cash and declared. also, will banks accept those for currency accounts? anyone have any experience with this, or other ways of bringing some funds to thailand when i return.

im abroad now and cant transfer the funds to thailand due to the account is not yet opened in thailand... not sure what to do.. any advices?

I assume all thai banks have a way to  transfer funds from abroad using their online apps or the Web. This is 21st century guys. Transferred multi million bahts all using online. Come to Thailand, open an account and then can discuss  with the banks how to transfer a large amount of money from USA to Thailand.

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure you'd need to declare the cashier's check if it exceeds the limit for bringing cash and negotiable instruments into Thailand. Check the Thai Customs Department's website.

I think many Thai banks will accept a foreign cashier's check for deposit, but they will send it for collection and it may take some time for it to clear and the funds to be credited. Ask the bank before you open your Thai account what their policy is.

I'm not sure whether a Thai bank would need to see evidence of the check having been declared to Thai Customs, but I would want to be prepared for that possibility. It may be a Bank of Thailand regulation or part of the bank's AML protocols.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vento said:

both accounts does not exists, as im closing one and want to put the funds into an account that yet has not been opened and as such, i cant do regular transfer.

My suggestions is not to close the US account. It does not cost a penny to keep a US account. Also it's prudent to get a cheap US phone number, like $3/month that has at least a few free World wide SMS availability. T-mobile used ot have a plan like that for $3 per month. Recently somebody posted that it is closed now and only available from one of their MVNOs. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Thanks 1