Cannabis flowers proposed to be classified as controlled herb to prevent abuse

snoop1130

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cancer is from smoking tobacco, no study has ever revealed a link between smoking cannabis and cancer.

Whilst that may be correct, smoking anything is a major cause of COPD - chronic bronchitis.

Smoking is the leading cause of chronic bronchitis,

This can be found in most heath related websites. Just search 'causes of chronic bronchitis'

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Whilst that may be correct, smoking anything is a major cause of COPD - chronic bronchitis.

This can be found in most heath related websites. Just search 'causes of chronic bronchitis'

Yes and no. Chronic bronchitis is caused by the inhalation of impurities into the respiratory tract.  And smoking (tabbaco by volume is king here by a very significant margin) is the leading cause of inhaling impurities. Air pollution and environmental agents are the second leading cause.

If people are going to argue that weed should be banned as smoking it causes poor health, then by extension the same arguement must be applied to the two leading cause of respiratory illness as well. Otherwise the argument is simply a poorly thought out excuse and not a valid reason.

• Thanks 1

From what I have read I understand that regarding the cultivation, trade, possession, consumption, etc of cannabis, marijuana, ganja, etc a legal distinction is made based on the concentration of THC. Up to or below a specified concentration, it is not controlled; above it, it is classified as a narcotic with all the restrictions and controls that apply to this class of substances.

So now a government official comes and suggests a different and/or additional distinction should be made based on the part of the plant – flowers or leaves – from which the substance is made.

5 hours ago, mosan said:

That would make it no different than it was back in the early 1970s when I first visited Thailand.  If someone decided to call the BiB because you were smoking weed, either they or the Thai Police would hit you up for a few Baht and that was all...on your way until the next incident.

Ah, back when my connection was an old woman fortune teller who worked from a mat on the sidewalk near Hualumpong. 

I heard enough stories back then of how the person who sold it to you would be the one who called BiB.  Nice folk.

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

they want it sold in designated shops so it can be taxed

That's the way it is in the US states where recreational is legal as well.  I don't expect it to change anytime soon. 

On 6/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, anterian said:

So in simple language what does a ''controlled herb'' designation mean?

Since the suggestion was made by the Director General of the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine I assume that it means a herb controlled by the Herbal Products Act B.E. 2019. This law can be viewed in Thai language here:

https://www.fda.moph.go.th/Herbal/SitePages/Document/law/พระราชบัญญัติ/law_herbal2-01.PDF

P.S.: As the above link opens painfully slowly or not at all in some browsers I attach the PDF file (11.1 MB) below:

Herbal Products Act B.E. 2019.pdf

Edited by Puccini
added postscript

I heard the dealers and shops will have to have an off duty police officer on the premises at all times. And if the flowers, which are illegal to grow , but legal to sell to farang are sold. And you make it over 50 yards from the dealer without getting caught you are home free.