Such a positive vibe in Bangkok as tourists, Thai sellers, locals and even a Thong Lo cop celebrate the end of ganja prohibition!

webfact

5 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Making up claims about 0 occurrences doesn't help.

did you even read what i wrote ? please go back and have a gander again. 

6 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

but spare us the "it's totally harmless and only promotes nice warm, fuzzy, peaceful feelings arguments.

where did i mention any of this ? 

9 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

Masks have been in use in Japan, (just for one example and the best one IMO), for the longest time just as a courtesy / precaution — when someone is feeling like they might have something that could be communicable they wear a mask to protect everyone they come into contact with.  What a concept.  Never forget the time, just walking down the street in NYC and someone walking towards me unleashed the loudest, wettest, most powerful sneeze before I could avoid it, which left me bedridden a few days later with flu symptoms.  This was years and years ago but will never be forgotten.  The guy in fact, instead of covering his mouth, actually opened both arms as if bestowing a wonderful gift.  But, as has been said over and over, (to paraphrase), with all the precautions and preventions and even effective treatments for all the various illnesses mankind and womankind can pass along to each other, there is still no cure for stupidity.  And not wearing a mask will remain for many a brave, clever and proud statement of their rugged individuality… to the end.

I am not saying that if you feel you have a cold or flu symptoms, not to wear a mask, I'm saying some people just wear them because.  

2 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

I am not saying that if you feel you have a cold or flu symptoms, not to wear a mask, I'm saying some people just wear them because.  

And some people are so pig ugly that they should wear them ????

• Haha 1

Another great article, dear Rooster, and one where you are announcing the dawn of ‘something else’ as the hippies used to say.  The pendulum swings a bit wildly in another direction if you ask me.  Kudos on the several pictures.  Is that a first?  It is surely adding to the story line and hopefully will be something that continues in future.  Not being interested in any part of the subject of all-consuming interest to so many, I remain a loyal and devoted reader, knowing that next time around the former humor and insights, peppered with many colloquial and educational items (perhaps more revealing than any picture) will be in evidence as the pendulum swings once again.  As Shakespeare wrote, ‘Methinks thou dost protest too much’…  you-all _know_ that any drug, taken beyond need, beyond an amount that is needful, is just a bad idea?  I suppose however that I will be walking through clouds of the stuff with no recourse other than having to readjust my life to avoiding certain areas or selecting a route that circumvents the idiocies of the ignorant.  Just to lead my own life.  Really, thank you all for your heroic, brave and really and truely brilliant posts in defense of this miraculously wonderful ‘herb’ that obviously has never done anybody any harm and is only very very good for you.  What medical and cultural geniuses populate this forum is so astounding that i stand in humble awe at the perspicaciousness of the many, many consummate .thinkers.  As the saying goes, “what possibly could go wrong?”

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

Another great article, dear Rooster, and one where you are announcing the dawn of ‘something else’ as the hippies used to say.  The pendulum swings a bit wildly in another direction if you ask me.  Kudos on the several pictures.  Is that a first?  It is surely adding to the story line and hopefully will be something that continues in future.  Not being interested in any part of the subject of all-consuming interest to so many, I remain a loyal and devoted reader, knowing that next time around the former humor and insights, peppered with many colloquial and educational items (perhaps more revealing than any picture) will be in evidence as the pendulum swings once again.  As Shakespeare wrote, ‘Methinks thou dost protest too much’…  you-all _know_ that any drug, taken beyond need, beyond an amount that is needful, is just a bad idea?  I suppose however that I will be walking through clouds of the stuff with no recourse other than having to readjust my life to avoiding certain areas or selecting a route that circumvents the idiocies of the ignorant.  Just to lead my own life.  Really, thank you all for your heroic, brave and really and truely brilliant posts in defense of this miraculously wonderful ‘herb’ that obviously has never done anybody any harm and is only very very good for you.  What medical and cultural geniuses populate this forum is so astounding that i stand in humble awe at the perspicaciousness of the many, many consummate .thinkers.  As the saying goes, “what possibly could go wrong?”

Actually it was an article, that Rooster linked to, by  BBC Thailand's Jonathon Head. The writer, is renowned for his articles but alas I have heard on the grapevine he is being referred to now as Jonathon Pothead, not sure why  ????

This will ultimately be a disaster for Thai people.

Young Thais will learn that it is cheaper to get high than to get drunk – prices will come down quite quickly when local black markets start to emerge since now anyone can get plants.

I tried driving high once and it was much harder than trying to drive drunk.  Busy, crowded Thai roads will become constant motorcycle ambulatory emergencies.  Sukhumvit will become a road of sorrow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just saw a YouTube vlog wherein was discussed, (apropos your observation that cheap drugs for young Thais will cause increased use alcohol), that in the USA there was a statute enacted, (on the federal level?), raising the drinking age to 25 fairly recently which of course steered the under-25 year olds towards the ‘club drugs’’, and how well that played out.  ????  Here too it is the issue of the greater evil’?     May it also be mentioned that scientific research in the past has shown that using pot at an age when the body is still developing, (and the brain has not fully matured — if at all it ever does — until the age of 21 - 25), can have negative effects on that developing organism.  OK, the old adage ‘do your own thing as long as it doesn’t do any harm to anybody else’.  That was the chant of the ‘60’s hippie era.  That worked out well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

Just saw a YouTube vlog wherein was discussed, (apropos your observation that cheap drugs for young Thais will cause increased use alcohol), that in the USA there was a statute enacted, (on the federal level?), raising the drinking age to 25 fairly recently which of course steered the under-25 year olds towards the ‘club drugs’’, and how well that played out.  ????  Here too it is the issue of the greater evil’?     May it also be mentioned that scientific research in the past has shown that using pot at an age when the body is still developing, (and the brain has not fully matured — if at all it ever does — until the age of 21 - 25), can have negative effects on that developing organism.  OK, the old adage ‘do your own thing as long as it doesn’t do any harm to anybody else’.  That was the chant of the ‘60’s hippie era.  That worked out well. 

Is this supposed to be directed at my post?  Sorry if not clear but increased alcohol consumption was NOT what I was suggesting. I was projecting that increased availability to marijuana will mean more deaths on the road from people driving while high. My experience was that driving while high from pot (many many years ago) was extremely difficult. Traffic studies are in agreement with that (link below).

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving

It is quite likely that traffic deaths will increase if marijuana use becomes widespread in Thailand. In the US, those states legalizing marijuana saw a 6% increase in traffic crashes (link below).  Most of those states did not approve homegrown marijuana - that could make it even worse.

In the US, most accidents are car accidents where the drivers and passengers are protected by thousands of pounds of steel around them.  Thais on motorbikes are everywhere on crowded roads and there are motorbike accidents in the news every day. Most people on motorbikes typically don't wear helmets and a similar percent increase in traffic accidents will mean an substantially higher increase of deaths.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/crashes-rise-in-first-states-to-begin-legalized-retail-sales-of-recreational-marijuana

27 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Seems everybody's in for Bangkokdam but, ahem, Tony Woodsome! Thai pot gets you good at Scrabble? Who knew!

My preferred "drug" for Scrabble is Khao Man Gai. I had it for lunch before winning in Sri Racha last week. Rather appropriate for a kind of chicken.

Thanks for reading.

????

My bad.  Meant to say, in trying to back up what you said, that access to cheap drugs would only steer youth away from use of alcohol towards the use of the drugs, just like the alcohol restrictive age-related laws in the USA have done to the vast increase of drug use there along with all of the devastation associated with it.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, thaichina said:

There is a dispensary in Samui, in Samthong resort, not sure they are open yet as they delated their opening yesterday, you should go have a look and report back. Not sure I can put the link, look for black spiky on facebook.

Drove slowly past Samthong resort yesterday, looks closed. Coffee shop or reception downstairs by the road had all lights off and no signs whatsoever, certainly no signage showing it is opening a cannabis dispensary.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 5:51 AM, BonMot said:

Again, the tiresome, trite false equivalency.

Weed-head logic says remove weed insert demon alcohol and flip the argument. Trouble is it's not true.

Moreover, while people can and do drink too much alcohol is far easier to gauge it's affects. A few tokes of high grade ganja and it's over for the very casual user.

Of course, pot heads rarely suffer from the issues I had described because of the immunity built up. In fact, users need stronger and stronger weed just to get high.

Pot heads never amount to anything in life. That's just a fact and the few that have are merely exceptions that prove the rule.

Comparing to alcoholics lol. Why not heroin addicts? The topic is ganja.

Not debating which type of addict is best to be. You must be high.

Initially, it's quite funny reading old soaks opining from their bar stools, but it does get boring very quickly.

I worked in Silicon Valley back in the 70s/80s and everyone smoked weed. One designer told me that without weed we wouldn't have had microprocessors.

My advise to you is to avoid weed if you don't like it.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:45 PM, AP2019 said:

This will ultimately be a disaster for Thai people.

Young Thais will learn that it is cheaper to get high than to get drunk – prices will come down quite quickly when local black markets start to emerge since now anyone can get plants.

I tried driving high once and it was much harder than trying to drive drunk.  Busy, crowded Thai roads will become constant motorcycle ambulatory emergencies.  Sukhumvit will become a road of sorrow.

We're doomed I tell ye

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, RandolphGB said:

Yes, all positive vibes until some lunatic with psychosis induced from marijuana goes on a rampage. 

Living in London in the swinging 60s and smoking it all the time all i ever did was go to the land of dreams and wake up hungry, ????