Two conflicting COVID viewpoints

jko

Healthcare operators to return to non-Covid treatment as Thailand shifts to endemic era

https://aseannow.com/topic/1263477-healthcare-operators-to-return-to-non-covid-treatment-as-thailand-shifts-to-endemic-era/

World gets Covid reality check as next Omicron wave is building rapidly: Coronavirus infections surging and masks returning
https://www.cityam.com/world-gets-covid-reality-check-as-next-omicron-wave-is-building-fast-coronavirus-infections-surging-and-masks-returning/

Let's hope the second scenario will somehow not happen here. But with masking way down, social gatherings more popular, increasing numbers of foreign tourists arriving from all over the world, and Thais returning from overseas visits, often in packed aircraft ... cause for real concern? 

Omicron has been in Thailand for quite some time now. My GF got Delta back in October last year, then Omicron three weeks ago.

IMO the relaxed attitude to Omicron here arises from the fact most of the vulnerable are vaccinated, and the symptoms arising from the variant are mild. Add in the fact anyone can test themselves for COVID with inexpensive ATK's they can pick up in any market or 7/11.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The Omicron they had in Thailand was BA.1 and BA.2

The "next Omicron" OP is talking about is BA.4 and BA.5

You can get BA.4 or 5 if you have had BA.1 or 2.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

most of the vulnerable are vaccinated

Hmmmm.

The old folks in the villages? Mostly vaccinated with some Sino****, and even that was last year.  Don't expect much immunity. 

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

symptoms arising from the variant are mild

The desperate scenes in Hong Kong earlier this year have shown that they are not mild if omicron hits unvaccinated old people. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

The Omicron they had in Thailand was BA.1 and BA.2

The "next Omicron" OP is talking about is BA.4 and BA.5

You can get BA.4 or 5 if you have had BA.1 or 2.

Hmmmm.

The old folks in the villages? Mostly vaccinated with some Sino****, and even that was last year.  Don't expect much immunity. 

The desperate scenes in Hong Kong earlier this year have shown that they are not mild if omicron hits unvaccinated old people. 

The vaccinations in my GF's village were Pfizer. Boosters.

Sinovac isn't about immunity, it's like tossing a coin. It's more about reducing severity, from personal experience I can attest to that. BTW, 78 yo when I had Sinovac.

You may be right. Having said that, IMO people who have already had COVID get some immunity from future variants, it's like the flu in that respect.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My GF got Delta back in October last year, then Omicron three weeks ago.

Genuinely interested, as I have just tested positive, how does she know which 'strain' (don't think that is the right term?) she had?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Genuinely interested, as I have just tested positive, how does she know which 'strain' (don't think that is the right term?) she had?

She doesn't, that's just an assumption I have made based on the dates of infection. I doubt she would have got Delta again, after getting a Pfizer booster shot, before she got the second dose of COVID. It looks like Pfizer is not much protection against Omicron infection, although she was over it in about 4 days. Somewhat teed off she had to isolate for 14 days in the house, orders of the Phu Yai.

Strain or mutation, it's just semantics. I was with her when she was infectious, tested negative all the way through.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

She doesn't, that's just an assumption I have made based on the dates of infection. I doubt she would have got Delta again, after getting a Pfizer booster shot, before she got the second dose of COVID. It looks like Pfizer is not much protection against Omicron infection, although she was over it in about 4 days. Somewhat teed off she had to isolate for 14 days in the house, orders of the Phu Yai.

Strain or mutation, it's just semantics. I was with her when she was infectious, tested negative all the way through.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Just feeling what I call 'slight'.

Slight fever, slight headache, slight aches and pains, slight sore throat.....nothing in themselves, but added together not very pleasant......had three jabs (all different!!!)....so fingers crossed.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

To the OP.  Things can possibly change and anything can happen. Unfortunately in the medical world there is still a lot of speculation.  Hopefully as time goes on they will have more definitive answers. 
Just protect yourself as you feel necessary.  I recommend you still take precautions.  
And keep in mind.  Just because a person says they had mild symptoms and it’s no big deal.  The effects depend on the individual .  Their age, medical history, etc.  One person can just stay home with mild symptoms.  Another can end up in the hospital.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, jko said:

Thais returning from overseas visits, often in packed aircraft ... cause for real concern? 

Nope. Just went overseas for about a month. Packed aircraft both ways (4 flights) no masks most of the flights time and no masks overseas. All good.

• Like 1

May be another potential scenario unfolding as now US POTUS informs listeners there will be a second pandemic: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/what-joe-biden-said-about-a-second-pandemic/ar-AAYJ3bJ

and more funding is required:

"We need more money to plan for the second pandemic. There's going to be another pandemic. We have to think ahead," Biden said in remarks at the White House to mark availability of vaccines for young children.

Yahoo ref link

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, lemmie said:

May be another potential scenario unfolding as now US POTUS informs listeners there will be a second pandemic: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/what-joe-biden-said-about-a-second-pandemic/ar-AAYJ3bJ

and more funding is required:

"We need more money to plan for the second pandemic. There's going to be another pandemic. We have to think ahead," Biden said in remarks at the White House to mark availability of vaccines for young children.

Yahoo ref link

Don't think he was talking about covid. There most certainly will be another pandemic in the future, be that 5, 10, 20, or 30 years from now and I believe it would be foolish not to take some steps to addressing that possibility.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Lorry said:

<snip>

That's true, but by now there should be NO unvaccinated old people, unless the anti-vaxxers get to them!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, lemmie said:

In the above comments, Biden wasn't talking specifically about another COVID pandemic, but rather, some type of future pandemic at some unknown point in the future.

And, if you get past the political spin of the Newsweek article with the unflattering photo and the embedded Republican National Committee tweet, the latter part of the article is replete with various health and medical experts saying essentially that what Biden said is correct, and we'd all best be planning for the future.

"Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, experts have warned about the frequency of pandemics across the world as well as potential reasons for an increase in disease outbreaks.

"The time between these outbreaks is getting shorter and shorter," Dr Tracey McNamara, a professor of pathology at Western University of Health Sciences College of Veterinary Medicine, said, according to an ABC News report from 2020.

The President of EcoHealth Alliance, Dr. Peter Daszak, added: "We are only able to sustain an outbreak maybe once every decade. The rate we are going is not sustainable."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

That's true, but by now there should be NO unvaccinated old people, unless the anti-vaxxers get to them!

That's not the reality of the situation. Too many elderly there, and elsewhere including Thailand, have been refusing to get vaccinated and boosted, contrary to public health guidelines.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's not the reality of the situation. Too many elderly there, and elsewhere including Thailand, have been refusing to get vaccinated and boosted, contrary to public health guidelines.

Quite honestly - tough! if they're stupid enough to refuse, then they must take their chances, and NOT expect sympathy from other people. Certainly, the rest of the world's recovery from covid should not be delayed because of them. Still their choice of course but choices have consequences.

Edited by VBF
  • Sad 1

Escaped it from the start, but tested positive two days ago.  I am  healthy in my 60ś not overweight, exercise everyday, blood tests and yearly treadmill health screen.  I have vaccines and a Moderna booster last month.

It is odd I have a sore throat, some chest and nose problems.  But, my mind is in a strange place like a tunnel vision feeling.  And, mostly getting sharp aches and pains on the left side of my neck.  And, my right foot aches.

Anyway just a heads up, it is still definitely out there.  I would mostly keep wearing a mask my opinion is I probably got it from a close contact massage on Soi Honey.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Sad 1