Are Thailand’s ride-hailing drivers disappearing?

webfact

22 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Who owns the pub there nowadays? 

Laundry Group and Merivale (Justin Hemmes). A schooner costs more than a car and you'll get kicked out at the first sign of intox. glad I'm over here in Thailand even though I'll apparently get run over as soon as I leave my condo ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Laundry Group and Merivale (Justin Hemmes). A schooner costs more than a car and you'll get kicked out at the first sign of intox. glad I'm over here in Thailand even though I'll apparently get run over as soon as I leave my condo ????

Funny how you can't stop talking about some other county.

Do you Look for VB in Bangkok as well. :giggle:

Edited by Orinoco

4 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

I make sure to always use the option "Grab Taxi" and not "Grab Car" or "Just Grab". With Grab Taxi you get meter plus 20 baht. They start the meter after they have picked you up. By far the cheapest option and price is mostly lower that the lowest price estimate in the app. Always licensed drivers. I also has it connected to my Credit card so do not have to bother about cash. Most drivers also upfront the highway fee for you in case you go through a pay toll. Some ever use Easy Pass.

Much cheaper than all "fixed" price apps like Bolt that tend to sky rocket the price if there is a high demand.

It's not just the price, taxi drivers might be overly pushy and impatient, but they are qualitatively better drivers than the private drivers. I stopped because the first three grab car drivers I sat with were dodgy, dodgy, and outright scary! Many of the non-taxi Thais I have sat with over the years have been pretty rough drivers tbh.

"Taxi drivers are seeing their profits tumbling too."

so there are some small signs that Taxi drivers in Bangkok are starting to cut some small insignificant corners in the matter of regular cleaning and mechanical maintenance in their Toyota Camry in order to save a little money......   oh wait...  the meter is broken?   again?

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

If petrol is so expensive, why do Thai drivers empty their tanks to get one place ahead of you at the next red light?

I also hate it they brake check you in the outside lane. Don’t they know braking for no reason is not an economical way to drive? 

18 hours ago, Orinoco said:

And when they do move it's at a snails pace !!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the motor cycles make their way to the front of the queue.  When the lights change to green no one wishes to be the 1st to move as there's always a couple of red light runners - it becomes a game of 'Chicken'.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebell said:

All the motor cycles make their way to the front of the queue.  When the lights change to green no one wishes to be the 1st to move as there's always a couple of red light runners - it becomes a game of 'Chicken'.

Well if the lights go green look left look right and ahead then go at normal pace if the coast is clear, not snails pace. Served me well for 22 + years. But usually the bikes get off the line first,  so we  have some cannon fodder.  :giggle:

to safe guard us when in a car.

On a bike very different, supper high alert at all times and hang back at lights, I don't go to the front unless by chance at the lights.

But hey,  yes your right,  don't jump the lights at the first nano second.

Here in Chiang Mai there has been a definite decrease in Grab Drivers to the point the wife went and found a few local guys who have developed a following off the grid of Grab.  Pay them less than Grab and they are happy since no Grab fees.  Rarely have not had at least one of them available.  Grab food is another thing, food delivery bikes are still a big thing at my house given I got hungry teens with sophisticated palates!

On 6/24/2022 at 3:55 PM, DualSportBiker said:

It's not just the price, taxi drivers might be overly pushy and impatient, but they are qualitatively better drivers than the private drivers. I stopped because the first three grab car drivers I sat with were dodgy, dodgy, and outright scary! Many of the non-taxi Thais I have sat with over the years have been pretty rough drivers tbh.

You must have been very unlucky, I use Grab Taxis on an average every second day or so and have been using them for years, so far I have not met a single Pushy, Dodgy or Scary driver. A friend of mine booked me a Bolt one time during covid lockdown when Grab stopped work after midnight, and that driver was complaining all the way from Sukhumvit 11 to On nut. He was scary.

I just noticed that it seams like you used Grab Car, Not Grab Taxi, so maybe my text above missed the point a little bit.

Edited by Eaglekott
Added a note

13 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

You must have been very unlucky, I use Grab Taxis on an average every second day or so and have been using them for years, so far I have not met a single Pushy, Dodgy or Scary driver. A friend of mine booked me a Bolt one time during covid lockdown when Grab stopped work after midnight, and that driver was complaining all the way from Sukhumvit 11 to On nut. He was scary.

I just noticed that it seams like you used Grab Car, Not Grab Taxi, so maybe my text above missed the point a little bit.

The umpire might call it a wide...