Thailand’s first satellite “THEOS-2” to be officially launched in early 2023

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: NSTDA

By Nop Meechukhun

National – The Thai government is planning to launch the first Thai satellite into space early next year, Deputy government spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek reported yesterday, June 23rd.

According to the deputy spokesperson, the government-funded “THEOS-2” was developed by more than 20 Thai satellite engineers.

It's currently undergoing testing of systems at the Satellite Assembly and Testing Center in Sri Racha, Chonburi, conducted by the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA).

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/23/thailands-first-satellite-theos-2-to-be-officially-launched-in-early-2023/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-06-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

who is launching it lol

Thailand are not launching anything, waste of money, I know who I would like to launch into space - 5 people - 3x begining P and 2x A

plus 1

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

I hope the space station goes on full alert at the time of launch.

We all know the state of there driving on earth, why would it be any different in space.

Don't worry, the Thais will have no say in the orbital placement operation, there reps at the launch site will only be allowed to serve coffee and tea to the operators.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Ps How can this be the first satellite for Thailand.

Thought they had Thaicom 1

a communications one.

That's true, plus others of course, but they are suggesting it was Thai scientists solely who developed it which is grossly untrue.  However if that really was the case then their claim would really mean it is the first Thai satellite that was a total failure.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

No word on what this satellite actually does , while up there

in space, just for show or what.

regards worgeordie

Something costing Billions of Baht will not just be for show and Face.

This thing will have a purpose, and I very much doubt it will be a Weather Satellite, as its sponsored by a Military Gov,t.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Don't worry, the Thais will have no say in the orbital placement operation, there reps at the launch site will only be allowed to serve coffee and tea to the operators.

Somtam and Mooping with khaoneow

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

This thing will have a purpose

Well given the types of people in government, the senate, and persons with a certain fetish elsewhere, it is probably intended to spy into ladies toilets maybe ????

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Its a shame these people don't actually post facts as to whom exactly develeped this satellite, 20 Thais ? well guess they could have helped to keep the assembly area clean and that is about all.

So take a read of this 

https://news.satnews.com/2022/06/21/sstls-theos-2-smallsat-ships-to-gistda-in-thailand/#:~:text=The THEOS-2 SmallSAT is based on SSTL's CARBONITE series,for early operations from SSTL.

And from another news media it was stated that it has been developed primarily by British space technology engineers as part of a Thai/British agreement

Wow, you really are a bitter, miserable man searching for any evidence that there were foreigners involved.  I can detect the glee in your fingers as you typed your borderline racist comments that the Thais can only sweep up and keep the place clean (the implication being Thais are too stupid to do the clever work that white people do).  Pretty disgusting, as are all the other predictable and boring comments in this thread about driving, som tam etc (waiting for one about rockets and brake failure)  What do you get out of it?  A feeling of smug superiority no doubt even though I am pretty sure you have never done anything even remotely close to as advanced as these people.

So you really think this was built by the white men and the Thais just made coffee?

In the article you posted they even say it was built by GITSDA (Thai agency) under supervision of the SSTL as part of a training program "to enable Thai engineers to design, manufacture, integrate, and test similar satellites in Thailand in the future" and to develop an in-country space industry supply chain.  No one is claiming the Thais invented the technology - this is a knowledge transfer program by SSTL which is the same type of program they have delivered to customers around the world including Japan, Korea, The US, China, Singapore, and many others.   

https://www.sstl.co.uk/what-we-do/customer-training

The training program teaches the engineers to develop and build these types of satellites.  So your big issue with the article is that it didn't include the line "under the supervision and instruction of white people" it seems.  As you are keen to take credit for this on behalf of your race why not tell us what similar contributions you have made to the development of technology - I am all ears. These Thai engineers are developing an industry here and should be given credit.

I just find it very sad that anyone would read this article and then go Googling to find out whether white people were involved, then come back and post racist drivel about the Thais only being there to clean up and serve drinks.  It is belittling, insulting, and pathetic.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It's currently undergoing testing of systems at the Satellite Assembly and Testing Center in Sri Racha,

Mortar and pestle function ..........................  check

Noodle boiler..........................................................check

Fruit peeler .............................................................check

Lao Khao dispenser ..........................................check

Leo dispenser .......................................................check

Auto bottle opener ...........................................check

Rice cooker ...........................................................check

Space suit bum gun .........................................check

International space station link up ..........check

Auto food prepare ...........................................check.

It is hoped that when the International Space station nears it will be able to dock and take orders from the astronauts for a wide range of Thai dishes ( the considerable mark up is unavoidable )

The space brakes are a cause for concern but should be ready for the launch date.

Edited by Denim

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, you really are a bitter, miserable man searching for any evidence that there were foreigners involved.  I can detect the glee in your fingers as you typed your borderline racist comments that the Thais can only sweep up and keep the place clean (the implication being Thais are too stupid to do the clever work that white people do).  Pretty disgusting, as are all the other predictable and boring comments in this thread about driving, som tam etc (waiting for one about rockets and brake failure)  What do you get out of it?  A feeling of smug superiority no doubt even though I am pretty sure you have never done anything even remotely close to as advanced as these people.

So you really think this was built by the white men and the Thais just made coffee?

In the article you posted they even say it was built by GITSDA (Thai agency) under supervision of the SSTL as part of a training program "to enable Thai engineers to design, manufacture, integrate, and test similar satellites in Thailand in the future" and to develop an in-country space industry supply chain.  No one is claiming the Thais invented the technology - this is a knowledge transfer program by SSTL which is the same type of program they have delivered to customers around the world including Japan, Korea, The US, China, Singapore, and many others.   

https://www.sstl.co.uk/what-we-do/customer-training

The training program teaches the engineers to develop and build these types of satellites.  So your big issue with the article is that it didn't include the line "under the supervision and instruction of white people" it seems.  As you are keen to take credit for this on behalf of your race why not tell us what similar contributions you have made to the development of technology - I am all ears. These Thai engineers are developing an industry here and should be given credit.

I just find it very sad that anyone would read this article and then go Googling to find out whether white people were involved, then come back and post racist drivel about the Thais only being there to clean up and serve drinks.  It is belittling, insulting, and pathetic.  

All I can say is that the cannabis you are smoking must have a high THC content. Or else, and I have not heard of such, clearly you are on also some hormonal treatment perhaps to become a Thai apologist. Is that another Thai scientific breakthrough the rest of the intelligent world has never heard of ? However can I suggest you seek further help as clearly it is effecting your fundamental grasp of reality and as for you bringing in the white people racist tones then clearly you should seek help sooner rather than late  ????    But anymore better things and people to listen to then your outflow of ignorant diatribe so bye bye welcome to the ignore list

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Ps How can this be the first satellite for Thailand.

Thought they had Thaicom 1

a communications one.

Anyone ?

The Thaicom satellites were simply purchased from the Hughes Space and Communication Company in the US, and they are pretty much standard Boeing satellites and were not built by Thais in any way, shape or form.  

There was the Thai-Paht satellite though so not sure sure why that doesn't count.

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/tmsat-1.htm

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Excel said:

All I can say is that the cannabis you are smoking must have a high THC content. Or else, and I have not heard of such, clearly you are on also some hormonal treatment perhaps to become a Thai apologist. Is that another Thai scientific breakthrough the rest of the intelligent world has never heard of ? However can I suggest you seek further help as clearly it is effecting your fundamental grasp of reality and as for you bringing in the white people racist tones then clearly you should seek help sooner rather than late  ????    But anymore better things and people to listen to then your outflow of ignorant diatribe so bye bye welcome to the ignore list

Okey dokey, thanks for your insight.

So when this satellite was clearly built by Thais (under instruction and supervision of SSTL) with a view to them being able to develop their own technology and infrastructure in future, saying the Thais did nothing except clean up and serve drinks is not racist, belittling or insulting, and I am an apologist for calling you out for it.  Righty ho, I see.

Well done for the random cannabis comment, brilliant.  Anyway, on with your day - there are more news articles that haven't got any Thai bashing in them yet, hurry!

4 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

If it's their first, why is it named #2? Did they try and launch #1 from their aircraft carrier is Sataheep? :wai:

Theos 1 is already up there and has been since 2008. You can read the details here if you're interested, although your facetious comment would suggest that you're not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1