Ladies Who Stay at the Temple

Some older ladies I know spend two or three nights at the temple every month. I am a bit curious to know what they do at the temple, but also why they go.

Since it’s generally older ladies who stay at the temple, you would think that their absence would allow their husbands to spend time with their girlfriends. Given that some Thai ladies claim that they don’t like sex when they hit 40, giving their husbands free time may be intentional, so the husbands don’t pester them for unwanted sex when they are home. Or is the “I don’t want boom-boom” only for Thai ladies who marry Farangs?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

My wife is deeply but quietly religious.... 

any time she goes to a temple she starts to clean for the monks... sometimes she will do an overnight...

I don't think it has anything to fo w/sex... 

You mean you hope it doesn't

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

When Thai women get closer to reincarnation, there is a tendency towards renunciation of worldly things (especially sex) and supporting their faith to up their chances of coming back as a man the next time around.

I went to a meditation retreat outside of Bangkok. It was 90% older women, 10% westerner.

I even talked to a hi-so. Even tho I read here that that was impossible. Does BMW = hi-so? If so, I did it.

That's an interesting comment that you make about the attendance ratio at the meditation retreat. It's line my observation that the majority of men in this country have no interest in spiritual matters. (unless the spirit comes out of a bottle)

The older women of the village are certainly the most active when it comes to attending the temple, but that's no different from churches back in the UK.

The O/P's comments about relating temple attendance and sexual matters are IMO complete nonsense.

A bank manager of my acquaintance owns a BMW as does our recently retired Pu Yha Ban, so I don't regard BMW owners as particularly Hi-so.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

If they take white clothes  with them, I believe it is some sort of meditation, eat only veg,  pray type of thing. Sort of like a three day religious retreat.

Yes I agree with that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

don't worry myself with things I can't change - - my wife is a nice lady, I want her to enjoy her life. And we don't scrutinize each other.... Life is short - 

-Good for you. You sound like a great partner.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, Danderman123 said:

You expect a real answer from my bargirlfriend?

The better question is if she always stays at the same temple.

Well you believe everything she says in relation to bar girls. So much so you started a thread about it. So why not everything else? 

In a country that has so many temples and a rabid belief in spirits/buddhism/animism and even though at times they can be quite hypocritical about that they are definitely a very religious country, why do you think they stay at temple? The answer isn't that difficult. And may or may not involve getting lottery numbers.

It's definitely NOT so their husbands can play away they can do that anyway.

So in a country where on most places they still give alms to the monks every morning, where on major holidays and festivals the women will go to the temple and  cook where in most parts still the wat is the most important, integral part of any village do you not think, and get ready for this there may be some religious connotations to why some ladies may stay there? Ya think?

Edited by starky

4 hours ago, starky said:

Well you believe everything she says in relation to bar girls. So much so you started a thread about it. So why not everything else? 

In a country that has so many temples and a rabid belief in spirits/buddhism/animism and even though at times they can be quite hypocritical about that they are definitely a very religious country, why do you think they stay at temple? The answer isn't that difficult. And may or may not involve getting lottery numbers.

It's definitely NOT so their husbands can play away they can do that anyway.

So in a country where on most places they still give alms to the monks every morning, where on major holidays and festivals the women will go to the temple and  cook where in most parts still the wat is the most important, integral part of any village do you not think, and get ready for this there may be some religious connotations to why some ladies may stay there? Ya think?

Concerning what my bargirlfriend says about ladies being lazy, I’ve got the receipts.

Concerning ladies staying at the temple, I am looking for opinions. Thank you for yours.

my wife has done if a few times over the years, it is purely a religious thing where they can get close to Buddhism through what they eat, how they sleep(both without their normal higher standards) plus meditation. Wats also support older ladies when they need somewhere to stay, my wifes mother is getting cancer treatment but the hospital(very close to the wat) is several hours drive from where we live so she has no where else to stay, locals supply all the food etc needed for her and others that are there while they are being treated, it is nothing out of the ordinary for thais to do,  some farangs just think too much

Edited by seajae

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The purpose of the stay at a temple is to make merit, performing menial tasks and preparing food for the monks, meditating in the meantime. That's how my GF explained it to me.

Sure...but the Farang should always be weary when his ex massage or bar girl GF tells him she wants to "Go Temple".  They use it as an opportunity to chat on the phone with their other lover(s) or sponsor(s) without fear of being interupted by the guy she is staying with.  It also makes her look like a good and virtuous girl when she video chats with the other fools..."see darling, I good girl, make whiteshirt".

You have been warned.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 3:56 AM, phetphet said:

If they take white clothes  with them, I believe it is some sort of meditation, eat only veg,  pray type of thing. Sort of like a three day religious retreat.

Yes.  I lived next door to a temple in CR where women came for two or three days, wore white, and did a thing where they walked very very slowly around a nice marble floor area...i was told it was a way to calm the mind and meditate...and by slowly i mean maybe one step every minute.  Interesting to observe.  Not sure i could do it.

20 hours ago, pomchop said:

and did a thing where they walked very very slowly around a nice marble floor area...i was told it was a way to calm the mind and meditate...and by slowly i mean maybe one step every minute.  Interesting to observe.  Not sure i could do it.

Walking meditation is the hardest one to do.

In a Western retreat, most people try to skip it and do more sittings and then the teacher has remind them that bringing the whole body into a meditative focus is part of the retreat too.

Most female residents at the temples are elderly women. Sad to say, but the "Generation-Contract" in Thailand is getting weaker. (Children looking after their parents in old age).

- Without having accumulated some "assets" and receiving no support by her children, the Temple is the last resort for those women all dressed up in white. A sad state of affairs.

• Sad 1