One day overstay

Hey everyone. I'm in the process of flying back home, so I've been flight hunting. I found a cheap flight that would put me 1 day overstay. I know it's frowned upon & not advised due to running the risk of being banged up in the immigration prison, but is a single day overstay still charged at a rate of 500 baht per day minus the blacklist? If it would be wiser to get a 7 day visa extension leading up to my departure date, I may just do it that way. Thx!

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not be fined for a one day overstay.

The chances of getting caught with a one day overstay is about zero.

Is this official or is it at the discretion of the immigration officer and they just never bother with it? I've been in a similar circumstance but with a health problem and thought about rescheduling the flight but didn't want to push my luck. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Is this official or is it at the discretion of the immigration officer and they just never bother with it?

It is certainly official since it has been possible for a very long time at airports. Land border crossing can be different.

I got a 24 hour overstay stamp waiving the fine way back in the nineties. 

• Like 2

The one-day overstay has absolutely zero short term consequences. It is, however, worth bearing in mind that it goes on your immigration record. If you ever end up in a dispute with immigration over an unrelated matter, it is possible for them to use this against you. In your position, I would probably take the one-day overstay, but it is just conceivable you could end up regretting it years later.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

, I would probably take the one-day overstay, but it is just conceivable you could end up regretting it years later

Disagree with you on this one.

Even for PE visa application there would be no negative impact.

It's not uncommon for flight delays that can cause one day overstay.

100% the OP should just fly out.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Disagree with you on this one.

Even for PE visa application there would be no negative impact.

It's not uncommon for flight delays that can cause one day overstay.

100% the OP should just fly out.

And if OP then has flight issues?

• Like 1

In april I had a one day overstay, the officer didn’t say a word but wrote a small note in my passport, something about missing funds as far as I can translate it????

Edited by Pooreye
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

It's funny, you are adamant that people need an onward ticket and 20,000 baht cash on arrival, despite it being rare to be asked, but are telling someone to openly break the immigration law of overstay where they'll definitely have an issue?

This is very boring.

The thread you refer to about having funds on your person for visa exempt entry, I was correcting you. 

10k for individual and 20k family 

Also that it had to be in cash.

As for onward flight I always state that onward flight may be asked for by airline. 

So does our expert ubonjoe.

As for the OP he has 2 options.

Go to immigration and request an extension and when denied will be given 7 days to exit Thailand and pay 1900 for application.

Other choice is to exit Thailand with one day overstay.

In most likelihood he will not be fined. Has nothing to do with showing delayed flight.

I also note several others have suggested to just exit, uj being one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Or breaks a leg walking into airport. 

And the police arrive, see the person is on overstay and off to the IDC for them if no tea money available!

Just not worth the risk.

Get the extension.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DezLez said:

And the police arrive, see the person is on overstay and off to the IDC for them if no tea money available!

Just not worth the risk.

Get the extension.

Police arrive where? ......

The OP is aware of his options.

Some have suggested apply for extension which will be rejected and be given 7 days to exit 

OR just exit with one day overstay.

Simple. Up to him. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Police arrive where? ...

I suggest you try reading your own post and my quote!

But since that simple task seems beyond you I will repeat it for you;

"Or breaks a leg walking into airport. "

I totally agree that the chances are slim of him having a problem.

But if he applies for the extension and gets it or even is rejected and is given a 7 day notice to leave which covers his departure date he is "quids in"!

Peace of mind all round for the cost of one extansion application!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

About three years ago, I did a visa run in an Issan province neighboring Laos after my job had ended. I had to wait until after 5 pm for that labor document showing my last day of work. I had to take a bus the next morning. They got me on one day overstay when I got back.

On the other hand, recently here in another Issan province, I was 10 days late on my 90 day, and was expecting to be shorter 2000 baht. But they just printed the new receipt, gave me an online pamphlet, and said to do it online next time. Amazing Thailand.

6 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I personally wouldn't do an overstay as I prefer to keep my clean record of entries

But that's me, I also leave on day 59 when I have 60 days stamped, just to be sure no flight issues ????

Years ago before I knew the rules, I booked a round trip with a return flight which put me at 11 days overstay.  I applied for a 7 day extension (maximum allowed) at 1900 baht.  Immigration told me to pay the overstay fine upon departure which I did.  The young women at the airport was all smiles when I had the 2,000 baht ready and she didn't have to explain anything to me.

I have made over a dozen trips since then and never had a problem with immigration.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Source of that info please.

Also it has a error. Children under the age of 15 are not liable for any fine.

A bit of scaremongering in the last one.

Please delete if not appropriate, I thought Thaiger was a valid source

https://thethaiger.com/visa/services/guides/what-happens-when-you-overstay-on-your-visa/

Edited by aussiexpat