One day overstay

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

About three years ago, I did a visa run in an Issan province neighboring Laos after my job had ended. I had to wait until after 5 pm for that labor document showing my last day of work. I had to take a bus the next morning. They got me on one day overstay when I got back.

At land crossings, you will always be fined for a one-day overstay. At the Bangkok airports, I have not heard of anyone fined for a one-day overstay for over 20 years. If someone has experienced this at Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang I would be most interested in hearing about it, and possible special circumstances that might have prompted it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Years ago before I knew the rules, I booked a round trip with a return flight which put me at 11 days overstay.  I applied for a 7 day extension (maximum allowed) at 1900 baht.  Immigration told me to pay the overstay fine upon departure which I did.  The young women at the airport was all smiles when I had the 2,000 baht ready and she didn't have to explain anything to me.

I have made over a dozen trips since then and never had a problem with immigration.

I am happy that they were not as strict at that time. Today, an order to leave the country within seven days needs to be complied with. Immigration is much more sticky about overstays today, especially long ones, or overstays when under an order to leave.

• Like 1

whilst overstaying is not as minor as some ppl think, less than 24h is not a big deal, esp. if u have a printed ticket at hand. even if you get caught by police, i doubt they would even idc you. just tell you not to miss your flight.
however if maybe u plan to get i.e. an elite visa, sometime in the near future, it's probably worth having a clear record, hence get the extension from immigration

Edited by malone99

7 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Years ago before I knew the rules, I booked a round trip with a return flight which put me at 11 days overstay.  I applied for a 7 day extension (maximum allowed) at 1900 baht.  Immigration told me to pay the overstay fine upon departure which I did.  The young women at the airport was all smiles when I had the 2,000 baht ready and she didn't have to explain anything to me.

I have made over a dozen trips since then and never had a problem with immigration.

Just to be clear, there is no 7 day extension.  You apply for an extension and if you have no valid extension available to you, you are given 7 days to leave Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, heybuz said:

swampy

at swampy the "one day free" rule is officiall, there's a sign to that effect on the wall behind the immi counters. dunno about all the other international airports because I'm too poor to gallivant around the country now that the markets are down ????????????????????????

15 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

at swampy the "one day free" rule is officiall, there's a sign to that effect on the wall behind the immi counters. dunno about all the other international airports because I'm too poor to gallivant around the country now that the markets are down ????????????????????????

was a while ago she nearly let me go but grabbed me as i walked away and took me to another bloke to pay.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

I got a 24 hour overstay stamp waiving the fine way back in the nineties. 

Years ago I got a stamp of 1 day overstay "but less than 24 hours". Actually the total was 7 hours... In those days it was still 200 Baht per day, but for me it was free.

Edited by hkt83100
Typo

I have had this one day biz about 3 or 4 times.  Never had to pay.  They just puta comment under the stamp in my passport.  I once was going to Penang by train and I was 2 days late and I had to pay the 1000 baht.  It was rather funny, at the same time there was a group of English girls, who had forgotten the date and were almost a week over. They were all rather gorgeous, laughing etc.  The Imm boys took it all in fun too and just made them pay the amount due  i.e.the train was held up because of all this.