U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Sir...Sir...Sir...i have questions...
Why are men telling women what they can't do with their body?
Has America become a Moslem country?

Islam permits abortions up to varying times, I think the maximum is 20 weeks. It's the Christian Right that wants to deny women abortions. They are the ones harassing women outside abortion clinics.

The anti-abortion campaigners conveniently ignore the fact being born as an unwanted child is probably the worst start in life anyone can have, and there is quite strong evidence such children are far more likely to become criminals.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/1999/08/does-abortion-prevent-crime-2.html

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I 100% agree with the decision.  It is nothing to do with the right and wrongs of abortion - it is to do with did the founding fathers of the US believe abortion was in the constitution. In my opinion it is not.

I do NOT agree with abortion and the killing of a child just to suit a woman's lifestyle.

However, I can agree with it in cases of rape, incest, severe abnormality or harm to mother, etc. 

I was adopted , I grew up with 2 loving adopted parents. I have adopted a Thai child that the mother did not want from the day it was born. I do not believe in easy abortion and the killing of life - I and my daughter may not have existed if our biological parents had !

The people making arguments for abortion are the offspring of pro-life parents !

Good for you that you had caring parents and good that you are now a caring parent.

But how many children have parents who don't care? How many of them grow up with only a single parent? And maybe even the single parent doesn't care and/or doesn't love them. The result of not caring parents are children with massive problems. Maybe they have "only" psychological problems, maybe they will become criminals. And maybe some of them will end with the death penalty because they "misbehaved" too badly.

I am sure many women think hard if they want to keep their unborn child. They will think about their own situation, they will think about if they have enough money to raise a(nother) child. They will think about if they have enough time to care for the child. And and and. And then maybe they see that the embryo in their womb won't have a happy life. And they won't be a happy mother. And then they do themselves and society a favor when they end that pregnancy. 

7 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

It's painful for me to say this but when a baby is aborted the doctor sticks a long needle into the baby's head, than the brain  it is sucked through a tube, than the rest is pulled out, the baby feels great pain if abortion  is late. So within a few days there will be protest everywhere in the states but more then half the people don't even know why they are going, to protesting about what? Abortions will still be taking place but you may have to travel to another state. Maybe this will give them more time to think about the baby.

This is not correct, a surgical abortion before 14 weeks involves no needles. This period is known as the first trimester. The vast majority of abortions – around nine-in-ten – occur during the first trimester of a pregnancy. In 2019, 93% of abortions occurred during the first trimester.

The last recorded statistics in the US was 2019

In 2019, 56% of legal abortions in clinical settings occurred via some form of surgery, while 44% were medication abortions involving pills, according to the CDC.

Any abortions after 14 weeks (second trimester)  are normally only for medical reasons and then an injection is made through the abdomen into the fluid around the fetus or the fetus to stop the heartbeat.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/06/24/what-the-data-says-about-abortion-in-the-u-s-2/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, candide said:

Add to it that the people who want to ban abortion are the same people who want to reduce social spendings, direct subsidies at married couples only, etc... And by doing so make it harder for mothers in distress to properly raise children.

I guess the one good thing and benefit is that the major roe v wade disruptions and protests are occurring in democratic locals where abortion remains availabe, legal, etc for those who choose it. Dems protesting laws that don't apply in dem locations or affect them, go figure.

Note: NB, abortion kills more than covid and is the leading cause of death in the world in 2021.

https://florida.sspx.org/en/news-events/news/abortion-was-leading-cause-death-worldwide-2021-70874

22 minutes ago, lemmie said:

I guess the one good thing and benefit is that the major roe v wade disruptions and protests are occurring in democratic locals where abortion remains availabe, legal, etc for those who choose it. Dems protesting laws that don't apply in dem locations or affect them, go figure.

Note: NB, abortion kills more than covid and is the leading cause of death in the world in 2021.

https://florida.sspx.org/en/news-events/news/abortion-was-leading-cause-death-worldwide-2021-70874

What is your evidence that there are no protests in GOP States? So no protests in Texas, etc...?

BTW, your reply is not related to the point I made in my post

Edited by candide

12 minutes ago, lemmie said:

Think you better do a search for protests in all the republican states that did an immediate ban. Each one have large protesters

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Atlantis said:

What an egregious claim - and highly predictable talking point.

The US still has unrestricted internal movement. It is still a country, made up of states. In the very small number of cases that "poor" women are so poor that they cannot afford to travel to a state like New Jersey (that still allows late 3rd trimester abortions), you can bet an unborn child's life on an outside pro-abortion organization coming in to finance the trip - and a TON of media coverage to boot.

You can't be a child until you're born. Hence, no unborn children.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Add in 2017 to 2022, and you're probably knocking on the total population of Thailand.   That's a lot of irresponsible people.   One has to wonder if many are not simply using abortion as 'birth control.

"ABORTION statistics

The Consequences of Roe v. Wade. 63,459,781. Total abortions since 1973. Based on numbers reported by the Guttmacher Institute 1973-2017,"

Actually, those are pretty sound numbers because abortions were legal everywhere and could be reported. Before 1973 we don't know how many abortions there were because in so many states they were illegal.

I was worried I had been permanently mutilated’: what abortion was like before Roe v Wade

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/24/abortion-before-roe-v-wade-illegal-ann-hill

4 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Is that how you describe opinions that differ from yours?

That's how I describe comments that deliberately ignore or misrepresent what I have said because the author doesn't want to debate or discuss, they only want to score a point for their side.

Not much point debating then

You weren't trying to.  That was my point.

and you can make a note of that.

As I said, I already have done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wrwest said:

And as The Donald already tweeted, we should give him and his Republican colleagues full credit for stacking the court and this designed outcome.

If Hillary had won, do you think she would have appointed conservative leaning judges?

14 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Why don't you want to answer the question?  What weakness in your argument are you protecting?

Your question to me: "Doesn't the woman in some way consent to this responsibility when she chooses to have sex?"

My reply to you for the third time: "When did choosing to have sex also insinuate you want a baby?"

Either take it or don't, I really don't care but your instance on not working out the logic of answering my question first says you have no idea and all you are doing is baiting.

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Or he could just answer the question.  I've happily exchanged several messages with him in perfectly good faith.  To suddenly not want to answer a question, presumably because he feels it will expose some chink in his argument, makes him quite a stinker.

I suggest your judgement on the good faith of your exchanges is flawed. Especially when you resort to personal attacks

Edited by Bkk Brian

23 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Try and actually understand what Roe vs Wade actually is first before claiming any future "bans" unrelated to the non-existent constitutional right to end human life.

Mad how these same states that are so pro life are probably the ones that are all for the death penalty. Idiots.

Todays SCOTUS ruling overturning roe v wade was made possible by Donald Trump, you can thank him along with the Supreme Court who has now given millions of citizens rather than nine justices the power to decide whether to legalize abortion.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/19/trump-ill-appoint-supreme-court-justices-to-overturn-roe-v-wade-abortion-case.html

Trump predicted this and talked about it while campaigning in 2016 and debating HRC as well as in 2018 while in office.

Trump advocated and predicted overturning r v wade
https://time.com/5327586/president-trump-says-abortion-laws-could-be-left-up-to-states-at-some-point/

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trumps-late-term-abortion-warning-in-2016-debate-against-clinton-goes-viral

"In an interview with Fox News host Maria Bartiromo that aired Sunday, Trump said he “probably” wouldn’t ask potential nominees about their stance on Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case that legalized abortion across America. He said he had been advised not to.
However, he vowed, “but I’m putting conservative people on.”
When asked whether abortion rights could be left up to the states – something that would require Roe v. Wade to be overturned – Trump said: “Maybe some day it will be to the states, you never know how that’s going to turn out. That’s a very complex question."

The only reason that we have lived to see this great day is because Justices Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett joined the Supreme Court alongside stalwart conservatives Thomas and Alito — and the only reason they were nominated is because Donald Trump was elected President of the United States.

This is a huge pro-life accomplishment of Trump's MAGA phenomenon and second only to Trump's greatest achievement he delivered to the American public,

Edited by lemmie
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

My thoughts exactly... 

This added to the insane decision to extend gun carrying laws in NY has me scratching my head & the only answer I can come up with is America really is turning into an Idiocracy 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

My home country (UK) is no better so I don't mean this as a slight to our American cousins... 

Yeah, I am from the UK and see the same thing happening there 

It's crazy the states that are so pro life and anti abortion are often the ones that are all for the death penalty!  

1 minute ago, lemmie said:

Todays SCOTUS ruling overturning roe v wade was made possible by Donald Trump, you can thank him along with the Supreme Court who has now given millions of citizens rather than nine justices the power to decide whether to legalize abortion.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/19/trump-ill-appoint-supreme-court-justices-to-overturn-roe-v-wade-abortion-case.html

Trump predicted this and talked about it while campaigning in 2016 and debating HRC as well as in 2018 while in office.

Trump advocated and predicted overturning r v wade
https://time.com/5327586/president-trump-says-abortion-laws-could-be-left-up-to-states-at-some-point/

https://web.archive.org/web/20220625015504/https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/24/us/midterm-primary-elections#trump-roe-wade-republicans

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trumps-late-term-abortion-warning-in-2016-debate-against-clinton-goes-viral

In an interview with Fox News host Maria Bartiromo that aired Sunday, Trump said he “probably” wouldn’t ask potential nominees about their stance on Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case that legalized abortion across America. He said he had been advised not to.
However, he vowed, “but I’m putting conservative people on.”
When asked whether abortion rights could be left up to the states – something that would require Roe v. Wade to be overturned – Trump said: “Maybe some day it will be to the states, you never know how that’s going to turn out. That’s a very complex question.

The only reason that we have lived to see this great day is because Justices Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett joined the Supreme Court alongside stalwart conservatives Thomas and Alito — and the only reason they were nominated is because Donald Trump was elected President of the United States.

This is a huge pro-life accomplishment of Trump's MAGA phenomenon and second only to Trump's greatest achievement he brought to America.

I've read this class of nonsense before. Had another Republican been elected in place of Trump, he would have chosen from the same pool of extreme right wing justices approved of by the Federalist Society. Justices who have consistently sided with corporations and against workers. So much for Trump's love of working class Americans.

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I suggest your judgement on the good faith of your exchanges is flawed. Especially when you resort to personal attacks

That's quite the escape plan I've handed you, huh?

It's fine.  We'll just pretend you didn't want to answer because of how right you are. ????

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

There are no Christian fundamentalists on the Supreme Court. Roman Catholics on the bench did this. It's an importation of Vatican doctrine into the US. My guess is the other side will be happier when Vatican backed decisions on immigration come before them. Personally, I favor abortion on demand up to 14 weeks, with exceptions made thereafter for the health of the mother. In fact, I think it should be encouraged in many, many instances.  I'd bet that my view is a solid majority among most Americans. I do wish there was a push for a Constitutional amendment to settle this once and for all. That would really put politicians on the hot seat and those hawking the idea that life begins at conception would find themselves thrown out on their ear.

Hmmm...Catholics are Christians you known ? 

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I've read this class of nonsense before. Had another Republican been elected in place of Trump, he would have chosen from the same pool of extreme right wing justices approved of by the Federalist Society. Justices who have consistently sided with corporations and against workers. So much for Trump's love of working class Americans.

Trump has vision and it showed. Big accomplishment for the MAGA movement and all Americans. Need more of this, and less of Biden's divisiveness and failures his admin bestowes daily on Americans. Be happy knowing your fed tax encumbrance are not paying for abortions now.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

That's quite the escape plan I've handed you, huh?

It's fine.  We'll just pretend you didn't want to answer because of how right you are. ????

You can pretend all you want. I tend to use logic not fantasy.

Edited by Bkk Brian

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

There are no Christian fundamentalists on the Supreme Court. Roman Catholics on the bench did this. It's an importation of Vatican doctrine into the US. My guess is the other side will be happier when Vatican backed decisions on immigration come before them. Personally, I favor abortion on demand up to 14 weeks, with exceptions made thereafter for the health of the mother. In fact, I think it should be encouraged in many, many instances.  I'd bet that my view is a solid majority among most Americans. I do wish there was a push for a Constitutional amendment to settle this once and for all. That would really put politicians on the hot seat and those hawking the idea that life begins at conception would find themselves thrown out on their ear.

Actually, Amy  Coney Barret was raised in a cult called the People of Praise. While nominally Catholic it was really a cult run by a couple who lately have been called out on some questionable practices of theirs. ACB served as a "handmaiden' to the leader of the cult. She stayed with that family while she was attending University and married a fellow cult member. So she has spent virtually all her life surrounded by members of that cult. Not even a stint in a dorm room.

5 minutes ago, lemmie said:

Trump has vision and it showed. Big accomplishment for the MAGA movement and all Americans. Need more of this, and less of Biden's divisiveness and failures his admin bestowes daily on Americans. Be happy knowing your fed tax encumbrance are not paying for abortions now.

What was his vision? Tax cuts? He managed to greatly increase the deficit when the economy was already on an upswing. I do remember that he repeatedly promised that he had a health insurance plan that would be better and cheaper than Obama's. Yet somehow never managed to produce it. He gravely mismanaged the covid epidemic. Medical statisticians reckoned his incompetence resulted in about 300,000 unnecessary deaths.

• Like 2