U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:
2 hours ago, bobbin said:

Let women choose the position they support, and the anti-abortion ladies can simply refuse to have one, allowing the majority of women their own choice.

That is exactly what this ruling is trying to accomplish.  Let the people decide what they believe is acceptable.

Let the majority of voters in a state decide what a woman is allowed to do, in the state they live.

Decide to end the life inside of her, or birth it.

Deleted, as the quoted passages did not show up fully without clicking the expand button

Edited by watthong

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Passed by a supreme court with little legitimacy as two of those far right wing justices were unfairly installed.

Whining is for losers. The American right fight to win whether that takes bending rules or not. The American left stay silent when an 87 year old, multiple cancer survivor, refuses to retire when her party is in power. That combined with the Dems nominating one of the most widely hated politicians in the country as their presidential candidate gave the right 3 seats on the court. Such is the stupidity of liberals. I feel sorry for my fellow social democrats who are stuck voting with them because of the ludicrous 2 party system.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, howlee101 said:

Just a question....so you would be completely satisfied with 9 liberals justices on the court, voting for all things the left wants?

It would never happen because they wouldn't invoke religion in every decision they make. It's the church that's making these decisions, not the individuals and the public will. This ruling is widely unpopular in the US and always has been. It's no coincidence that the US is the most religious developed nation on Earth and it's mostly concentrated in the south and that the predominant religion there has a history of racism.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Atlantis said:

What an egregious claim - and highly predictable talking point.

The US still has unrestricted internal movement. It is still a country, made up of states. In the very small number of cases that "poor" women are so poor that they cannot afford to travel to a state like New Jersey (that still allows late 3rd trimester abortions), you can bet an unborn child's life on an outside pro-abortion organization coming in to finance the trip - and a TON of media coverage to boot.

But it shouldn't be like that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It would never happen because they wouldn't invoke religion in every decision they make.

Agree, religion (any religion) should not be forced on anybody and that extends to legal decisions / laws being based on religion, in this case the Christian religion which already has a very scaly track record, and is based on unbelievable tenants like virgin birth, and more.

14 minutes ago, pegman said:

Whining is for losers. The American right fight to win whether that takes bending rules or not. The American left stay silent when an 87 year old, multiple cancer survivor, refuses to retire when her party is in power. That combined with the Dems nominating one of the most widely hated politicians in the country as their presidential candidate gave the right 3 seats on the court. Such is the stupidity of liberals. I feel sorry for my fellow social democrats who are stuck voting with them because of the ludicrous 2 party system.  

Funny if Hillary was so unpopular but she still solidly won the popular vote. Truth is that she was popular enough but ran a poor campaign and was very unlucky to be opposed by then shiny new demagogue object.trump.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Walker88 said:

The pain of rape or incest has to be bad enough, but to force a woman or teen to be constantly reminded of the crime against her---by forcing her to carry the zygote and birth it 9 months later---is salt in an open wound.

And blatantly SBC in its ideology.

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

The pain of rape or incest has to be bad enough, but to force a woman or teen to be constantly reminded of the crime against her---by forcing her to carry the zygote and birth it 9 months later---is salt in an open wound.

Truly dystopian but that's how the radical theocratic right wingers like it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Funny if Hillary was so unpopular but she still solidly won the popular vote. Truth is that she was popular enough but ran a poor campaign and was very unlucky to be opposed by then shiny new demagogue object.trump.

Other presidents lost the popular vote but were still elected, that's not the system.

• Like 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

For 50 years the Supreme court hasn't seen it that way. Now the US has the most extreme radical activist court in modern history.

Was not the original decision based on a woman lying she had been raped?

13 hours ago, proton said:

The choice is having sex with no contraception, nobody should have the choice to kill a child because they could not be bothered to

Incorrect. Women are raped, subjected to incest and so on. The SCOTUS decision offers them zero protection from unwanted pregancies. From the outside looking in, USA is heading on a pathway to minority right wing religious fundamentalism unduly influencing politics / law. It should be noted this decision and others do not represent the will of the majority. The prior Administration set in motion a downward spiral for US majority representation and appears to be ontrack for a worstening US society representation for freedoms.

• Thanks 2

Just now, proton said:

Was not the original decision based on a woman lying she had been raped?

It likely made to difference, the original decision did not limit abortion to rape. Furthermore, if she lied then the court has had ample opportunity to reverse the decision and did not until now. In doing so it tossed stare decisis out the window. The US is now a laughing stock again, as it was during the trump era.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes and the right wing hypocrites after forcing so many mostly poor women to bear unwanted children have no interest in helping to support the very same children AFTER they are born.

It's been a long time since I've even thought of an Elvis song (shame as I was a big fan before he died, was 11 at the time) but this one springs to mind when I read your post & think about the impact this ruling will have on the poorer American families... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

It's been a long time since I've even thought of an Elvis song (shame as I was a big fan before he died, was 11 at the time) but this one springs to mind when I read your post & think about the impact this ruling will have on the poorer American families... 

What a great post of yours and for any one with a social conscience that is quite an emotional song even now after over 50 years. And even after all those years nothing has changed. Social injustice appears to me to have got worse, albeit for different reasons in different countries.

Who said we live in a better world now than yesteryear ? Only those who have benefitted from it at the expense of others I guess

• Like 1