U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, Saanim said:

Nothing new:

WMD = Weapons of Mass Distraction

Refreshing of an old good topic to distract from other more serious problems and to divide the population... 

Abortion rights is pretty darned serious. Forcing women to.carry their rapists children is pretty darned serious  Threatening the right to use contraceptives and criminalizing homosexuality is pretty darned serious. 

• Like 2

I would also wonder, as a layman, how they managed to avoid the issue of the state of being "born" versus the state of being "unborn". This is understood by even the most "primitive" of societies.

Also, as a pregnancy is entirely subject to the mother providing nourishment to the "unborn" until birth, how can the mother's wishes be subjected to decisions of the State.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The most effective response to this SCOTUS ruling is vote!

True but in reality due to inflation and Biden's unpopularity the chances of the democrats having a strong majority after the midterms that could codify abortion rights legislatively are very remote.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Hello brother from the other minority right wing rule America. They will go further. You can bet your bottom dollar.

Personally I’d like to see abortion made illegal across the entire country and gay marriage made illegal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AndyFoxy said:

Personally I’d like to see abortion made illegal across the entire country and gay marriage made illegal.

Your people are working on that. They are also working on making gay sex and contraceptives illegal. Seems to me they actually want civil war.

3 minutes ago, bobbin said:

I would also wonder, as a layman, how they managed to avoid the issue of the state of being "born" versus the state of being "unborn". This is understood by even the most "primitive" of societies.

Also, as a pregnancy is entirely subject to the mother providing nourishment to the "unborn" until birth, how can the mother's wishes be subjected to decisions of the State.

That's going to be a never ending argument, do to advancing science, and religious arguments.  

Science & docs (excuse using the term 'science), and many law makers, put unborn & born on the viability of a fetus / preemie, surviving an early birth.

Most agree it's around the 22-24 week mark, anything after 24 weeks, has a decent chance of survival, if all in it's favor.

Then there's the other side of the coin, many think life starts at conception, and can be argued either way, depending on ones belief.  Either it will be a life, if allowed, or if taken out, it wouldn't survive, so you didn't really kill it and must not have been a life to begin with, and simply let nature take it's course, abet, unnatural course.

Touchy topic to say the least.  I'm a hypocrite myself, as against abortion, BUT, also against anyone telling me it's not 'my body, my choice' ... in all things.

Just now, Jingthing said:

True but in reality due to inflation and Biden's unpopularity the chances of the democrats having s strong majority after the midterms that could codify abortion rights legislatively are very remote.

This is the kind of defeatist nonsense that loses elections.

This SCOTUS ruling is contrary to the views of a very clear majority of Americans, and it includes clear notice that next up is rights to contraception and gay marriage.

’We cannot win the mid terms’ is exactly the kind of thinking that will allow rightwing Cristina fundamentalism take control of America.

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This is the kind of defeatist nonsense that loses elections.

This SCOTUS ruling is contrary to the views of a very clear majority of Americans, and it includes clear notice that next up is rights to contraception and gay marriage.

’We cannot win the mid terms’ is exactly the kind of thinking that will allow rightwing Cristina fundamentalism take control of America.

You say defeatest, I say realistic.

Due to structural reasons such as the sparse Dakotos having four senators and very populated Californis two and the great advantage republicans have with gerrymandering,  elections are not a level playing field. Plus historically midterms are about the economy and a referendum on the president.

Of course FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT but sorry the odds are poor.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This SCOTUS ruling is contrary to the views of a very clear majority of Americans

Is it though, on the subject of abortion.   We won't really know, until another year or so, and see how many states, change their abortion laws, since now not being forced to allow them.

If the majority of voters of said states, feel they are against abortions, then many may be surprised, how the 'majority' really feels, as states start banning the practice.

Wait & see situation ... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pomchop said:

If you don't believe in abortion then do not get one...but do not tell another woman what she can and can not do...it is NOT your body and NOT your choice.

Two recent right wing supreme court appointees flat out LIED as to their position on Roe at their confirmation hearings...it's all on the record.  Shameful.

Did they lie, or simply send that decision, back to the people, who have to live with that decision.

Not 'rocking the boat' vs setting it free.  Bit of a difference IMHO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your people are working on that. They are also working on making gay sex and contraceptives illegal. Seems to me they actually want civil war.

Even Trump said it was a bad idea for the Republican party:

Mr. Trump has told people repeatedly that he believes it will be “bad for Republicans.”

The decision, Mr. Trump has told friends and advisers, will anger suburban women, a group who helped tilt the 2020 presidential race to Joseph R. Biden Jr., and will lead to a backlash against Republicans in the November midterm elections. In other conversations, Mr. Trump has told people that measures like the six-week abortion ban in Texas, which allows people to file lawsuits against those who enable abortions beyond that time-frame, are “so stupid,”

From the NYT wayback machine so no paywall:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220625015504/https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/24/us/midterm-primary-elections#trump-roe-wade-republicans

33 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Even Trump said it was a bad idea for the Republican party:

Mr. Trump has told people repeatedly that he believes it will be “bad for Republicans.”

The decision, Mr. Trump has told friends and advisers, will anger suburban women, a group who helped tilt the 2020 presidential race to Joseph R. Biden Jr., and will lead to a backlash against Republicans in the November midterm elections. In other conversations, Mr. Trump has told people that measures like the six-week abortion ban in Texas, which allows people to file lawsuits against those who enable abortions beyond that time-frame, are “so stupid,”

From the NYT wayback machine so no paywall:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220625015504/https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/24/us/midterm-primary-elections#trump-roe-wade-republicans

He praised it today.

47 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did they lie, or simply send that decision, back to the people, who have to live with that decision.

Not 'rocking the boat' vs setting it free.  Bit of a difference IMHO.

They clearly lied under oath.

Sleazy people.

Far right wing theocratic ACTIVIST judges with a vile agenda.

Shouldn't call them Your Honor but Your Dishonor instead.

The credibility of SCOTUS trashed.

• Like 1