U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

onthedarkside

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Try and actually understand what Roe vs Wade actually is first before claiming any future "bans" unrelated to the non-existent constitutional right to end human life.

So all the women who are unlucky enough to live in one of the inbred states aren't competent enough to decide what to do with their own bodies? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Try and actually understand what Roe vs Wade actually is first before claiming any future "bans" unrelated to the non-existent constitutional right to end human life.

I suggest you try and actually understand what constitutes a ‘human life’.

2 hours ago, stoner said:

i understand the perspective but lets run the numbers of how many times that actually happens vs the number of total abortions. the number from rape and incest is very small i think we can agree ? compared to the ones not for those 2 reasons. 

this is a touchy subject all around.

personal experience then.....in my early 20s a gf got pregnant. had an abortion and only told me after she had the abortion.

Perhaps it was nothing to do with you?!

There is now the beginning of a movement to CRIMINALIZE women traveling to the abortion states and to also CRIMINALIZE anyone helping these women make the trip (could be something as trivial as booking transport). The Handmaid's Tale costumes are really not an exaggeration. Do these theocratic extremists want civil war?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

As discussed in a previous thread, not only do I feel the right should be given to rape victims, I clearly believe that rights should be much more in line with European countries that allow termination upto 20+ weeks.

I will state again: this is nothing to celebrate, it is merely the lesser of two evils given the current state of technology and social capability / willingness to care for unwanted children.

Di what’s with the laughing emojis you are scattering all over this discussion?

You clearly find some amusing. 

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Di what’s with the laughing emojis you are scattering all over this discussion?

You clearly find some amusing. 

Continued stalking/trolling with emoticons will result in a full-account suspension.  

• Like 1

In the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, Attorney General Merrick Garland released a statement saying that states cannot ban mifepristone, a medication that induces an abortion, Axios reports.

"In particular, the FDA has approved the use of the medication Mifepristone. States may not ban Mifepristone based on disagreement with the FDA’s expert judgment about its safety and efficacy," he continued.

https://www.rawstory.com/2657559458/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

A survey of Latino voters in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Texas released by the group just before the Supreme Court handed down its rulings found 64 percent of Latinos are “more motivated to vote” in the upcoming November midterm elections as a result of the Supreme Court’s decision on Roe, with 52 percent saying they are “much more motivated.”  

The poll found 68 percent of Latinos believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases, with just 10 percent saying they think abortion should be banned. Sixty five percent of respondents said they would support a law to protect abortion access nationally.  

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/3536285-latino-voters-in-battleground-states-back-gun-reform-abortion-access-poll-says/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, proton said:

The choice is having sex with no contraception, nobody should have the choice to kill a child because they could not be bothered to

Actually, Clarence Thomas in his decision targeted the right to contraception as well. And also gay marriage. He's the gift to Democrats that keeps on giving.

And of course you take no account of rape or the fact that contraception isn't 100% effective.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Atlantis said:

What an egregious claim - and highly predictable talking point.

The US still has unrestricted internal movement. It is still a country, made up of states. In the very small number of cases that "poor" women are so poor that they cannot afford to travel to a state like New Jersey (that still allows late 3rd trimester abortions), you can bet an unborn child's life on an outside pro-abortion organization coming in to finance the trip - and a TON of media coverage to boot.

Is that the best you got? That " you can bet on it"? 

6 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Not surprising when one considers that six of the nine sitting Supreme Court justices are Catholic and another, Gorsuch, was raised Catholic.

Next up will be erosion of the separation of church and state with taxpayer money being given to religious schools and prayer being re-introduced into public school classrooms.

The West worked hard to extract itself from the morass of religion, but in the US it seems to be sinking back in.

Perhaps the one good thing about overturning Roe v. Wade is that the fundamentalist types will stop supporting the Republican Party now that their main political demand has been met.

One of them was actually raised up as a "handmaiden" in a bizarre Christian cult that is nominally Catholic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Perhaps the one good thing about overturning Roe v. Wade is that the fundamentalist types will stop supporting the Republican Party now that their main political demand has been met.

Well, for one thing, banning gay marriage is still a goal of of theirs. And Clarence Thomas has clearly targeted it. And of course, they fear that the Democrats will get an opportunity to appoint justices who will reverse the current decisions.

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

This is shocking!  

It's getting like a strict Muslim dictatorship now!

What will be next, ban gays, alcohol, sex outside marriage?!  America seems to really be regressing.

My thoughts exactly... 

This added to the insane decision to extend gun carrying laws in NY has me scratching my head & the only answer I can come up with is America really is turning into an Idiocracy 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

My home country (UK) is no better so I don't mean this as a slight to our American cousins... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

A great day for America. Really happy about this ruling and hope they go further too.

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” The Great Ronald Reagan

Hello brother from the other minority right wing rule America. They will go further. You can bet your bottom dollar.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Its ironic that macho and Catholic Latin America is becoming more progressive on abortion rights and gay rights and the USA is quickly moving BACKWARDS.

Also Thailand has recently relaxed abortion laws. 

• Like 1

There's a middle ground here where common sense can prevail. Anyone remember the video of doctor having discussion about after baby is delivered they can have a discussion about the fate of the baby. See, too far one way. Abortion not allowed for pregnancy due to rape and incest, again too far the other way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bill Maher had an interesting take on this issue..

Why is it that right-leaning Christian fundamentalists have made this issue a cause celebre but once the predominately poor children are "here", they could not be less interested in their well-being?

My prediction is that women in general will organize around this issue and the democratic principle will exert itself..

Let women choose the position they support, and the anti-abortion ladies can simply refuse to have one, allowing the majority of women their own choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

My thoughts exactly... 

This added to the insane decision to extend gun carrying laws in NY has me scratching my head & the only answer I can come up with is America really is turning into an Idiocracy 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

My home country (UK) is no better so I don't mean this as a slight to our American cousins... 

But at least in the UK a women has the right to choose abortion or otherwise. The days of bible bashing weirdos bashing their bibles are thankfully long gone. And certainly gun ownership is very strict unlike the US. 

• Like 2

In the cases of rape, incest, mental stability and the persons age I believe abortion should always be a choice, what I do not believe is that abortion should be a way for women that sleep around having unprotected sex with many men to cover themselves. When you see women stating they have had multiple abortions and should have the right to do so because they dont want to take any responsibilty for what they do you really have to wonder, what people also have to realize is that this does not stop abortions, women can still have them under certain circumstances as well as in many states, the original desion for abortion was always under a cloud as the govt had not set any laws regarding it, if they had then it would not have been removed, abortion should not be used to replace contaception, my opinion only

Edited by seajae

1 minute ago, seajae said:

In the cases of rape, incest, mental stability and the persons age I believe abortion should always be a choice, what I do not believe is that abortion should be a way for women that sleep around having unprotected sex with many men to cover themselves. When you see women stating they have had multiple abortions and should have the right to do so because they dont want to take any responsibilty for what they do you really have to wonder, what people also have to realize is that this does not stop abortions, women can still have them under certain circumstances as well as in many states, the original desion for abortion was always under a cloud as the govt had not set any laws regarding it, if they had then it would not have been removed, abortion should not be used to replace contaception

Well that's all fine and dandy then .  Yet another male proving misogyny rules supreme  in their own tiny worlds by attempting to tell females what they should or should not do.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Excel said:

But at least in the UK a women has the right to choose abortion or otherwise. The days of bible bashing weirdos bashing their bibles are thankfully long gone. And certainly gun ownership is very strict unlike the US. 

Yeah, you lot are civilized. The US far right wing which is a minority is insisting.that we become as backwards as possible.