20 year Elite card - 1Million Baht

Just asking for a friend. (I have PR, 25 years, so personally I have no need for the Elite card).

An old friend, no confidence to use e.mail etc., is looking for some further details re the Elite 20 year - 1Million Baht visa. If you are knowledgebale re this card can you please share some answers to his questions:

1. To get the 20 year card is there a maximum age to apply?

2. What is the requirment re cash held in a Thai bank account? Is it 800,000Baht like many other visas? If yes is the requirement to have 800 in the bank meaning on the date of applying? And what about after the card is issued?

3. Is there any requirement for a minimum level of continuing monthly/yearly income after the card is issued? E.g. 80,000Baht per month.

4. When the 20 years has expired can it be extended for say 1 yr, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, 10 yrs? 

5. Is there any Thai language test?

6. Is there any restriction on where the foreigner can live in Thailand afer the card is issued (Further, the gentleman who is asking has been told by his cronies it's only available to foreigners living in Bkk, Pattay, Phuket, Chiang Mai, but I'm doubting this is true).

7. Do applicants have to be quallified in a serious profession?

8. Is there are requirment to own a condo in own name?  

Any other valuable points you can offer much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi. I can answer a few of your questions - but firstly - I am not sure if 1 million baht will cover entitle you to stay for 20 years - the terminology is a little ambiguous- it is an extension.

with visa - cannot work.   Can live anywhere in Thailand .  No condo ownership requirement. No bank account balance requirement. No insurance requirement.  No age limit . No language requirement. 

55 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Hi. I can answer a few of your questions - but firstly - I am not sure if 1 million baht will cover entitle you to stay for 20 years - the terminology is a little ambiguous- it is an extension.

with visa - cannot work.   Can live anywhere in Thailand .  No condo ownership requirement. No bank account balance requirement. No insurance requirement.  No age limit . No language requirement. 

Thanks for aal of that. So I guess that means the 20 year Elite cad (if approved) is actually an extension of an existing visa. I guess that could be a visa on arrival (e.g. from Australia) or could be a visa linked to holding a work permit.

However from what I can see work would need to cease on receiving the Elite card. Is that correct?

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for aal of that. So I guess that means the 20 year Elite cad (if approved) is actually an extension of an existing visa. I guess that could be a visa on arrival (e.g. from Australia) or could be a visa linked to holding a work permit.

The extension wording is really a misnomer for it. Did you read the info I posted a link to.

The extension part is if somebody has a 5 year visa already that a person paid 600k baht for a 5 year visa can pay 400k baht and change it to a 20 year Thai Elite visa.

• Like 1

As long as you to not want to work (for a Thai company) there are really no other restrictions associated with a Thailand Elite membership. You pay the money to avoid most of the hassles associated with long term residence in Thailand. If you are not travelling,

• each 90 days, you must submit a 90-day address notification (which Thailand Elite will do for you in some provinces, but is most easily done online in most cases);
  • if you remain in Thailand a full year without travelling, you must apply for a one-year extension of stay, for which the only requirement is still being in possession of a Thailand Elite membership. Most members will not need to do this as each time you exit Thailand and re-enter you get a fresh one-year permission to stay.

In my view, the biggest advantage of the Thailand Elite membership is that it provides certainty for the duration of the membership. Those, for instance, on retirement extensions can never know when changes in regulations will impact (possibly critically) on their plans for residence in Thailand. At the end of the membership period of Thailand Elite, you will be faced with an unknowable situation (also true, 20 years from now, for those who have not been Thailand Elite members).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If over 50 where you can get a non imm O extension for 1,900 a year, buying an Elite visa is just a waste of money. An agent would do it for you for 12,500 a year

Point taken however the gentleman involved is becoming quite concerned that he might do something wrong / forget / be late to extend if he does it year by year. Whereas (in his belief) a 20 year Elite would aleviate these concerns.

He's also just asked me if it's true that 20 year Elite holders still have to do 90 days reports and he's asked whether online reporting is now more reliable? And considering his lack of computer skills whether he could pay an agent to do this?

One other concern he has is whether 20 year elite holders need an exit/re-entry stamp every time they leave/re-enter Thailand?

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Point taken however the gentleman involved is becoming quite concerned that he might do something wrong / forget / be late to extend if he does it year by year. Whereas (in his belief) a 20 year Elite would aleviate these concerns.

With the elite visa he also has to apply for an extension every year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As long as you to not want to work (for a Thai company) there are really no other restrictions associated with a Thailand Elite membership. You pay the money to avoid most of the hassles associated with long term residence in Thailand. If you are not travelling,

• each 90 days, you must submit a 90-day address notification (which Thailand Elite will do for you in some provinces, but is most easily done online in most cases);
  • if you remain in Thailand a full year without travelling, you must apply for a one-year extension of stay, for which the only requirement is still being in possession of a Thailand Elite membership. Most members will not need to do this as each time you exit Thailand and re-enter you get a fresh one-year permission to stay.

In my view, the biggest advantage of the Thailand Elite membership is that it provides certainty for the duration of the membership. Those, for instance, on retirement extensions can never know when changes in regulations will impact (possibly critically) on their plans for residence in Thailand. At the end of the membership period of Thailand Elite, you will be faced with an unknowable situation (also true, 20 years from now, for those who have not been Thailand Elite members).

Thanks for all the valuable responses to this thread. I've just noticed the post just above from BritTim, which in fact answers most of my post just below. I guess these 2 posts were in process at the same time. Thanks.

Just now, FriendlyFarang said:

True but one of his buddies has the 20 yr Elite, he's based in Roi Et and he gets a call regularly from the Elite admin folks reminding/helping him to complete the extension. 

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

He's also just asked me if it's true that 20 year Elite holders still have to do 90 days reports and he's asked whether online reporting is now more reliable? And considering his lack of computer skills whether he could pay an agent to do this?

One other concern he has is whether 20 year elite holders need an exit/re-entry stamp every time they leave/re-enter Thailand?

The 90 day online reporting is easy online, if using an agent they do it for free but it's easier to just do yourself. With Elite he'd still need to do 1,900 baht extension yearly, that's why it's the wrong way to go, just say use an agent to get non imm O and pay them 12-15k a year and they do everything, paying 1m really is a waste of money if over 50. If age 30s or early 40s yes makes some sense

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Not unless you don't leave and re-enter the country for a year. You get a new one year permit to stay everytime you enter the country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

With Elite he'd still need to do 1,900 baht extension yearly, that's why it's the wrong way to go,

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not unless you don't leave and re-enter the country for a year. You get a new one year permit to stay everytime you enter the country.

i would guess that over 50 year old guys would mostly not be coming and going.    The appeal to me as a 70 year old (who has not left for over 10 years)  is just not worrying when they are going to make some big change . 

So,  the fact that still have to do extensions every year seems rediculous .    But, of course not surprising.

Then there is the little matter of forcing everyone to get the jab .   Doubt if the elite would protect one from that or some other arbitrary change

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, rumak said:

Then there is the little matter of forcing everyone to get the jab .   Doubt if the elite would protect one from that or some other arbitrary change

Anyone can enter Thailand from 1 July totally unvaccinated as long as they show an ATK negative result within 72 hours of departure

• Like 1

My main gripe about the Thailand Elite membership / visa system is that the visa stickers themselves only last for a maximum of 5 years or until the expiry date of your passport.

Assuming you don't generally leave the country this means a trip to one of the very limited number of places every 5 years or sooner in the case of passport renewal to get a new visa sticker.

I'm not sure if they issue them outisde the airports at anywhere except Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok but I believe this is the case.

This is not convenient if you live far away from Chaeng Wattana and don't wish to leave the country.

In the middle of a large COVID outbreak last year I had to go from Hua Hin to Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok just to get a sticker inserted in my passport.

So I hired a driver, drove to Bangkok, checked into a hotel overnight, went to Chaeng Wattana and got my visa by appointment (there is no waiting if you use the concierge service - which you absolutely should), I then had some lunch, relaxed a little and then got back in the car and returned to Hua Hin. Very inconvenient when you consider they could simply choose to insert the visa at provincial immigration offices by advance appointment which is how it's done at Chaeng Wattana anyway.

This is petty behaviour by the Thai Immigration authorities

The excuse given to me for this was that they need to read the fingerprints when inserting the visa, but I know for sure they have a finger print reader at Hua Hin as I had been there just before going to Bangkok to transfer my stamps to the new passport and saw it on one of the desks - it was identical to the one in Bangkok.

• Like 1

I have twenty year- elite and it's resoundingly No for for every question you posted. It is the easiest visa to obtain if you have the money. Very few document requirements. I applied for elite even before I visited Thailand (or Asia for that matter). I just needed to disappear from some corporations using my purchased passport from Antigua and Barbosas. I have multiple passports (4 in total). Yes, I could have obtained a retirement visa for a very cheap price, even if I use and agent for twenty years, it would have been cheaper than the elite. But I don't regret investing 1% of my asset for the elite visa. If someone has money and less than 50, it's the only hassle free option. Above 50 you have option for retirement visa also. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sitta said:

So from visa on arrival to non imm O extension for 1,900 plus 12,500 for the agent?

Looks pretty good.

You probably mean visa exempt entry but, just in case, be aware that extensions and conversions to Non Immigrant entries are not allowed if you enter with a visa on arrival.

Assuming you do mean visa exempt, the first step is to convert to a Non Immigrant entry for purposes of retirement (this gives an initial 90 days). The application fee for this "conversion" visa is 2,000 baht. Following this, you can get one-year extensions for 1,900 baht a time. The only additional official fee is for re-entry permits (1,000 a time for single re-entry permits and 3,800 for each multiple re-entry permit valid until your next extension). If you use an agent, the cost will depend on where you are applying. Typical is about 22,000 baht for the initial conversion plus first one-year extension, and about 14,000 a year subsequently.

If trying to figure out whether retirement extensions with an agent or an Elite visa works out cheaper, there are several considerations. Frequent travellers (who make the optimistic assumption that agent fees will never increase) should budget an initial 25,800 then 17,800 a year for extensions plus re-entry permit which implies a 20-year cost of just 358,600 baht for 20 years (obviously less than the 1,000,000 baht for the Elite). However, there are long term risks with relying on agent extensions that are difficult to evaluate.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

You probably mean visa exempt entry but, just in case, be aware that extensions and conversions to Non Immigrant entries are not allowed if you enter with a visa on arrival.

Assuming you do mean visa exempt, the first step is to convert to a Non Immigrant entry for purposes of retirement (this gives an initial 90 days). The application fee for this "conversion" visa is 2,000 baht. Following this, you can get one-year extensions for 1,900 baht a time. The only additional official fee is for re-entry permits (1,000 a time for single re-entry permits and 3,800 for each multiple re-entry permit valid until your next extension). If you use an agent, the cost will depend on where you are applying. Typical is about 22,000 baht for the initial conversion plus first one-year extension, and about 14,000 a year subsequently.

If trying to figure out whether retirement extensions with an agent or an Elite visa works out cheaper, there are several considerations. Frequent travellers (who make the optimistic assumption that agent fees will never increase) should budget an initial 25,800 then 17,800 a year for extensions plus re-entry permit which implies a 20-year cost of just 358,600 baht for 20 years (obviously less than the 1,000,000 baht for the Elite). However, there are long term risks with relying on agent extensions that are difficult to evaluate.

"The only additional official fee is for re-entry permits (1,000 a time for single re-entry permits and 3,800 for each multiple re-entry permit valid until your next extension). "

Do Elite holders need Exit/Re-entry stamps?

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

the first step is to convert to a Non Immigrant entry for purposes of retirement (this gives an initial 90 days). The application fee for this "conversion" visa is 2,000 baht. Following this, you can get one-year extensions for 1,900 baht a time.

I always wondered if a person does not extend it further. Just convert to Non-O from Tourist for three months. Perfect for 6-month stay for a person aged 50 or more like me. Get a tourist visa, extend it for thirty days, put 800K in the bank convert to Non-O for three months and then withdraw the money. Of course there may be some loss when converting back to dollar. Convert back to dollar and take the money out of Thailand. Repeat the process ad infinitum. Or can you hire an agent just for Non-O conversion? Of course there is always option of border run for a second TV. I am coming in July on a TV (three month guaranteed)  and still trying to figure out what route I should take for my 6-month stay. What is the easiest place for a TV. I remember getting TVs in Penang in 2011.

Edited by Onerak

I looked at the investment visa when my intention was to buy an appartment in Hua Hin for more than 10 million baht, but I hesitated when baht became stronger and stronger and waited for better exchange rates, and also learned more about the real estate marked. Thank God I waited. 

Anyway, I also found out it's a trap going for any of these options they serve us. No benefits at all in my opinion. Even better to spend the money travelling for holiday once and awhile, if not working abroad same as I did.

Good luck

Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Thailand Investment Visa

Learn about the various guidelines you should be aware of when applying for an investment visa in Thailand

https://thethaiger.com/visa/business/guides/step-by-step-guide-to-getting-a-thailand-investment-visa/

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

I am coming in July on a TV (three month guaranteed)  and still trying to figure out what route I should take for my 6-month stay. What is the easiest place for a TV.

You could obtain a tourist visa at Vientiane. Depends where your staying in Thailand.

Keep in mind that you could also do 2 border bounce for visa exempt entry. With extension to each that's 4 months.

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You could obtain a tourist visa at Vientiane. Depends where your staying in Thailand.

Keep in mind that you could also do 2 border bounce for visa exempt entry. With extension to each that's 4 months.

Yes I am aware of that but trying to do least number of exits and least number of visits to immigration offices. I have been to the neighboring countries multiple times. I don't have any more desire to do travel to neighboring countries. New Zealand may be an option. How easy to get a TV in New Zealand? I have not been New Zealand. Want to do it before I die.  I know New Zealand is not a neighboring country but want to take a mini vacation. 

Edited by Onerak