Thai court dismisses AIS attempt to avoid fine imposed by telecom regulator

webfact

image.jpeg

The Supreme Administrative Court has upheld the lower court’s decision, confirming the legitimacy of an order, issued by the secretary-general of National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), fining Advanced Info Service (AIS) 100,000 baht a day for a breach of regulations.

The mobile phone service provider, AIS, filed a lawsuit with the Administrative Court, demanding the withdrawal of the order, issued regarding the pre-paid mobile phone service which was deemed, by the NBTC, to be in violation of a regulation regarding the standard of mobile phone services.

Under AIS’s pre-paid phone service program, customers who pay 50 baht can use the service for five days, 300 baht for 30 days and 500 baht for 50 days or 1,500 baht for 365 days.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-court-dismisses-ais-attempt-to-avoid-fine-imposed-by-telecom-regulator/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

The Supreme Administrative Court ruled that AIS’s pre-paid phone service program is tantamount to forcing users to use up their pre-paid fees within a specific period, which is against the regulations. 

The implications of that idiotic ruling on other businesses I would guess is about to become extreme !

"Under AIS’s pre-paid phone service program, customers who pay 50 baht can use the service for five days, 300 baht for 30 days and 500 baht for 50 days or 1,500 baht for 365 days".

What a load of codswallop.  I use AIS prepaid and top up with only 50 baht and that allows me to use the service for 30 days NOT 5 days. Have been using the service this way for 8 years now.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

"Under AIS’s pre-paid phone service program, customers who pay 50 baht can use the service for five days, 300 baht for 30 days and 500 baht for 50 days or 1,500 baht for 365 days".

What a load of codswallop.  I use AIS prepaid and top up with only 50 baht and that allows me to use the service for 30 days NOT 5 days. Have been using the service this way for 8 years now.

Perhaps they were special promotional SIMs, not the same as yours, so not so much codswallop?   Time limited SIMs are not unusual, on Hong Kong trips, for example, I used to buy pre-loaded SIMs valid for 15 days.