Are masks still compulsory in schools?

tomster

I'm sure that schools will be among the last places to go maskless.  I was thinking that the mask rules would be relaxed for next year, but quite frankly, I don't know when we will ever be unmasked.  

Even when covid is just a memory, Thailand still has seasonal flu outbreaks, hand-foot-and mouth disease and chronic air pollution.  I don't know if teachers and students will ever be free of masks.  ????

• Like 1

Businesses and schools (at least private ones) can still set their own requirements.   It's along the lines of 'we reserve the right to refuse service...' everywhere else.  But you can certainly still exercise the right to stand outside of these establishments sans mask now.

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

In my sons class at school 5 pupils have gone down with fever, they wear masks in the classrooms only removed when eating food.  So the masks haven’t stopped the fever spreading in the class ?

Not necessarily.  If they were maskless it might have been 6 or more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

In my sons class at school 5 pupils have gone down with fever, they wear masks in the classrooms only removed when eating food.  So the masks haven’t stopped the fever spreading in the class ?

They didn't necessarily catch it at school. My kid's class had 10 kids test positive. My kid didn't.

Most of the infected kids were vaccinated, my kid no vaxx...no covid. go figure.

Edited by EVENKEEL

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

They didn't necessarily catch it at school. My kid's class had 10 kids test positive. My kid didn't.

Most of the infected kids were vaccinated, my kid no vaxx...no covid. go figure.

If they brought infection to school I thought masks as the government kept saying stopped infections that’s why we have been wearing them for 2 years and most Thais still are.

17 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The kids all wear masks in class.

Yes, you said when you questioned if the masks hadn't stopped the spread of infection.  Well it's not necessarily true was my point as you don't know how many would have been infected if no masks were worn.

16 hours ago, Latitude Dude said:

Depends on the school. Our children haven't worn masks all year (neither have parents) and there have been very few positive tests in the whole school. So conclude what you will on the effectiveness of masking children in schools.

You're (and your children) are very fortunate.  Is this a Thai school?  I fear my child's school will retain compulsory mask wearing for a while yet.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

On 6/29/2022 at 8:45 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

You're (and your children) are very fortunate.  Is this a Thai school?  I fear my child's school will retain compulsory mask wearing for a while yet.

It's an International school with western owners / management. All Thai schools that I know of are still suffocating their students.

8 hours ago, Latitude Dude said:

It's an International school with western owners / management. All Thai schools that I know of are still suffocating their students.

Yes they are.  Your child is very lucky.  I think 2-3 years of forced mask-wearing may have long-term psychological effects especially on younger kids.  Quite why Thailand can't follow the example of schools in western countries, I don't know.  It's very depressing.

• Like 1