Onward travel

My son and his Girlfriend are travelling to Thailand in October and plan on applying for the single entry visa (60 days) but have to show proof of onward travel. They plan to pass overland into Malaysia and re-enter Thailand a few days later to get another 30 days, what is the best way to get proof of onward travel as they’re finding it difficult to find anything that can be booked now other than a flight (which is obviously more expensive). Am I right in thinking they can have 2 land border entries too? They plan on coming back in again around March/April for their flight home from Cambodia 

Do they plan on applying for a tourist visa that allows a 60 day stay that can be extended for 30 days at immigration. Some Thai embassies and official consulates do not require a onward ticket for application.

If doing a land border crossing for a 30 day visa exempt entry a ticket out would not be required. By air the airline might want to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days.

6 hours ago, cdemundo said:

onwardticket.com has what you need I think

I've seen this website mentioned several times, posters saying it's possible to "rent" a ticket.  Have you used this service yourself?

I'll be flying in next week on a one-way ticket, and want to be prepared to buy something last-minute at the airport if necessary.

Hoping to hear some actual experiences successfully boarding (or not!) when asked to show an onward ticket.

11 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

I've seen this website mentioned several times, posters saying it's possible to "rent" a ticket.  Have you used this service yourself?

I'll be flying in next week on a one-way ticket, and want to be prepared to buy something last-minute at the airport if necessary.

Hoping to hear some actual experiences successfully boarding (or not!) when asked to show an onward ticket.

I booked fully refundable ticket just in case but was not asked at any point in time. Did Visa exempt entry. Cancelled ticket the moment I was out of immigration, got full refund.

Suvarnabhumi immigration officers checked the return /onward flight ticket last week, June 2022

Coming from london to bangkok with a 60 day tourist evisa issued in England.

The return flight to london is in 2023 so I bought an airasia ticket phuket to singapore for 1400 baht travelling in 55 days time. This was uploaded and accepted for the evisa application

Immigation officer in arrivals asked for the proof of a return ticket. I said the return journey was in 7 months but was flying with airasia, phuket to singapore in 55 days. They wanted to see the airasia ticket and recorded some information from the ticket into the system.

Airasia tickets are cheap and easily recognised by anyone checking, so prefer to buy one instead of using a rentaticket service

The airline didnt check for the onward flight but Thailand airport immigration did.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kelso4 said:

The airline didnt check for the onward flight but Thailand airport immigration did.

Thanks for the report.

I have NEVER heard of immigration asking for proof on onward flight when entering with a tourist visa.

Wonder what's going on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I have not used this myself.

I am traveling on a one-way ticket for the first time later this year and plan to use this service.

3 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

There is no requirement to have a flight out of Thailand if entering with a tourist visa.

It states on the visa requirements that an onward journey needs to be shown when applying? 

5 hours ago, kelso4 said:

Suvarnabhumi immigration officers checked the return /onward flight ticket last week, June 2022

Coming from london to bangkok with a 60 day tourist evisa issued in England.

The return flight to london is in 2023 so I bought an airasia ticket phuket to singapore for 1400 baht travelling in 55 days time. This was uploaded and accepted for the evisa application

Immigation officer in arrivals asked for the proof of a return ticket. I said the return journey was in 7 months but was flying with airasia, phuket to singapore in 55 days. They wanted to see the airasia ticket and recorded some information from the ticket into the system.

Airasia tickets are cheap and easily recognised by anyone checking, so prefer to buy one instead of using a rentaticket service

Thanks this is what they’re doing (coming back Apr 23) did you not need proof of leaving when applying for your visa in England or was the flight home in 23 enough? 

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Do they plan on applying for a tourist visa that allows a 60 day stay that can be extended for 30 days at immigration. Some Thai embassies and official consulates do not require a onward ticket for application.

If doing a land border crossing for a 30 day visa exempt entry a ticket out would not be required. By air the airline might want to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days.

They’re applying for a 60 day visa in England which states they need to show proof of leaving the country. Their return flight out of Thailand isn’t until April 23. They plan on crossing a land border and reentering after the 60 days to get another 30 then fly to Vietnam in Jan. they will re-enter Thailand again in March (over land) 

30 minutes ago, Trudy said:

It states on the visa requirements that an onward journey needs to be shown when applying? 

I never used the evisa website to apply for a visa, but when I applied for tourist visas in the past (at embassies/consulates), an onward ticket was never asked for.

There is also no requirement to have one when entering Thailand, this requirement only exists for visa exempt entry.

Update:

I just clicked through the evisa application, it doesn't ask for an onward ticket when applying for a SETV.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trudy said:

They’re applying for a 60 day visa in England which states they need to show proof of leaving the country. Their return flight out of Thailand isn’t until April 23. They plan on crossing a land border and reentering after the 60 days to get another 30 then fly to Vietnam in Jan. they will re-enter Thailand again in March (over land) 

If entering on a 60 day tourist visa this can be extended in Thailand at an immigration office  1900 baht for 30 days, no need to leave the country unless you want to, a return ticket or onward travel may be required by the airline in this case within the 60 days(finair state this on their website), when i entered on a single ticket i was always asked for a return flight(eva air and thai). 

up to you if they want to chance it, it can be any ticket to anywhere within the 60 day visa there are cheap one way tickets out of thailand just look on internet,

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I used onward ticket in May.  I have never been asked for proof of ticket in 17 years but just said what the heck and gave it a shot.  

Website was easy to use.  Can "book" any flight itinerary of your choosing for any dates of your choosing.  You can also specifiy a time you want the 48hr clock to start on your reservation.

So, for few bucks I believe it is a good insurance policy for that overly inquisitive immigration officer and will probably use the service again if traveling on one way ticket.

Just recalled there was one instance I was asked for onward travel proof.  Flight from US with connection in Hong Kong was delayed so missed the connection.  Airline rebooked our flight for next day and put us up in hotel for the night.  The China Air agent would not re-issue my ticket without onward itinerary.  I booked cheapest flight she could offer, to Vietnam I think, for any date she selected and made it clear I would cancel the flight just as soon as she handed me the ticket.  But that is only time I ever had a question, was in 2009 as I recall.

But anyway, onward is good to go for peace of mind.

29 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Just out of curiosity, must "onward travel" be by air? How about a reserved bus or train ticket? I see that Thailand is exploring bus service to Laos and Vietnam.

I don’t think it does need to be by air but that was why I originally asked the question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

I never used the evisa website to apply for a visa, but when I applied for tourist visas in the past (at embassies/consulates), an onward ticket was never asked for.

There is also no requirement to have one when entering Thailand, this requirement only exists for visa exempt entry.

Update:

I just clicked through the evisa application, it doesn't ask for an onward ticket when applying for a SETV.

Oh does it not? it did when we looked a couple of months ago! Thank you 

9 minutes ago, howerde said:

IF you have a return ticket then they do not need to ask as the can see your return booking, i have always been asked when flying out on one airline and returning on another 

finair.PNG

Oh amazing so their Apr 23 flight out of the country will be sufficient ????????

Update:

I’ve just looked again and indeed you’re right, no proof required - amazing! So if they get stopped at immigration I’ll tell them to just book a cheap flight out to somewhere and get them to extend their stay for 30 days at an embassy in Thailand. 

6 minutes ago, Trudy said:

Oh amazing so their Apr 23 flight out of the country will be sufficient ????????

Not strictly, if they enter on a 60 day tourist visa, then the return flight/onward travel needs to be within that 60 days, of course we don't know if check in will notice the return is over 60days, depends on your risk appetite,

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thai embassies and official consulates do not require a onward ticket for application.

Sorry if i am going off topic but i have a similar question and will save having to open a new thread 

I will be coming in October on a non O visa 90 days in respect of visiting my son which i intend to change to a yearly extension during my time here. 

Last year i messed up by leaving it too late to do the application

I want to get a return ticket that will exceed the 90 days by approximately 2 weeks 

My questions are

1 will i be queried at airport immigration regarding the return flight is outside of the 90 days 

2 if for any reason i am not able to complete the yearly extension can i just get a 30 day extension to cover the remaining time.

2 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

1 will i be queried at airport immigration regarding the return flight is outside of the 90 days 

2 if for any reason i am not able to complete the yearly extension can i just get a 30 day extension to cover the remaining time.

1 the flight out is only required for visa exempt entries, so you don't need one at all

2 no, the 30 day extension is only possible for visa exempt or tourist visa entries

1 the flight out is only required for visa exempt entries, so you don't need one at all

2 no, the 30 day extension is only possible for visa exempt or tourist visa entries

Thanks for the reply

On question 2 if a 30 day extension is not possible what are my options. A Border run ?

I like to cover all the bases in case of a problem as it takes at least a month for the paperwork according to immigration

3 hours ago, howerde said:

Not strictly, if they enter on a 60 day tourist visa, then the return flight/onward travel needs to be within that 60 days, of course we don't know if check in will notice the return is over 60days, depends on your risk appetite,

Well this was my thought! I think it’s possible to book something pretty cheap at the airport if they’re stopped and asked by immigration 

9 minutes ago, Trudy said:

Well this was my thought! I think it’s possible to book something pretty cheap at the airport if they’re stopped and asked by immigration 

Yes what i would do, they have a return ticket, i doubt check in will notice. immigration will not care, but good to have a back up 

• Thanks 1