He's an ANGRY White man ! - are you ?

CharlieH

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Woke people defined themselves  as 'woke'.

Woke is a destructive cult. It promotes division through identitarian ideas and the fallacy  of intersectionalism.

It may have been invented by Black Americans but it has been hijacked and used as a pejorative more recently.

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Can you provide a link to the cut and paste?

The Oxford dictionary expanded its definition of the word “woke” in 2017 to add it as an adjective meaning “alert to injustice in society, especially racism”.

https://theconversation.com/where-woke-came-from-and-why-marketers-should-think-twice-before-jumping-on-the-social-activism-bandwagon-122713

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

'Farang' is a derogatory  term because  it does not differentiate between races or cultures. Its a catch  all lazy term used by uneducated and ignorant people. The fact that people dont use it with racist intent does not make it any  less so. People had to be educated that many common terms were racist, do I need to list them all here? My more educated and polite Thai friends never use the term anymore.

They used to use it but now don't? That suggests they perceive that you are offended by the term and so they refrain from using it around you. The term farang is very widely used in Thai conversation and in isolation is not derogatory. Some people misconstrue it to be derogatory because it may be used in a sentence which is derogatory in context.

edit: I learned to speak and read Thai 40 years ago. You?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

Gotta admit, it's sort of the young'uns job to make fun of me.

OK Boomer was a masterful put-down. More, please, more.

They STILL have to listen to Hotel California a half century after the fact. Can you imagine being forced to listen to The Big Band Era forever when you were young? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I even refuse to use the description African American. I have only one black friend who refers to himself as African American. I told him none of my black friends use that term. He scoffed. I asked him, how many times have you been to Africa? How many African languages do you speak? Where were your people from, exactly? How about the cuisine? How many African dance styles are you familiar with? How often do you listen to African music? Who are your top ten African musicians? Although he likes funky music, it turns out I as a white man, am far more familiar with African music than he is.  

if people of Italian descent are Italian-American, then people who originate from Africa are likewise African-American. It just seems like a no-brainer.

I'm currently cooling my heels in Appalachia, trying to get to Bangkok. These people know nothing of BlueGrass music or Doc Watson. I live within a half hour of Doc Watson's old house, which you get to by driving down the Doc Watson highway.

The number of people here who could identify Doc Watson from a picture or name a single song of his is zero.

And yet, these people are very Appalachian. You don't need to pass a multiple choice cultural test to assume a cultural identity.

You practically never see black people in any numbers at a blues show. In New York, you see more Japanese. And yet, blues music is definitely black culture.

By the way, S-Mike, I have 16,000 African Music songs on my iTunes. Please start a thread on this great topic.

Edited by LaosLover

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

AN cares. Without the old white guys, this forum would fold up and close. All the younger white girls and guys in Thailand are on Twitter.

Some old guys spend too much time on TikTok. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not White or Caucasian but if you take out the word “white” then this persons’ thoughts could apply to anyone.  Now we need a video from an ABM(Angry Black Man), AAM(Angry Asian Man), AL:M(Angry Latino Man) and AMHM(Angry Mixed-Heritage Man)., 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

if people of Italian descent are Italian-American, then people who originate from Africa are likewise African-American. It just seems like a no-brainer.

I'm currently cooling my heels in Appalachia, trying to get to Bangkok. These people know nothing of BlueGrass music or Doc Watson. I live within a half hour of Doc Watson's old house, which you get to by driving down the Doc Watson highway.

The number of people here who could identify Doc Watson from a picture or name a single song of his is zero.

And yet, these people are very Appalachian. You don't need to pass a multiple choice cultural test to assume a cultural identity.

You practically never see black people in any numbers at a blues show. In New York, you see more Japanese. And yet, blues music is definitely black culture.

By the way, S-Mike, I have 16,000 African Music songs on my iTunes. Please start a thread on this great topic.

There is some credence to what you say. Although, I would argue the locals there know more about their civil war history, than the average so called African American knows a about Africa, its history, its culture and its current state of affairs. It is far more about politics, than it is about reality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grain said:

None of those things anger me in the least. 

What he said, at least most of it, is common sense. I think as we get older in life we see the mistakes we made when we were younger like maybe back in your school days. If you were not perfect everyone made fun of you Too fat, too skinny, too short, too tall, too stupid, or too smart. Most of us outgrow these misconceptions when we get older but some don't and this is where the problems may grow into more hurtful things. I am not angry , but I don't except the way that some people treat others.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

This is like the proverbial tree falling in the forest that nobody hears. If you're angry, old, and white, nobody cares.

Go to the Fox News comments section. They're just ranting into space. Even old, white, angry men don't want to hear from old white angry men.

Actually, you even bothering to sternly rebuke them (why?) is a downer. What motivates you?

Your day has come and gone. Go away. And that goes double for myself. But at least I know it. 

Nothing triggers me like intolerance, bigotry and xenophobia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Woke people defined themselves  as 'woke'.

Woke is a destructive cult. It promotes division through identitarian ideas and the fallacy  of intersectionalism.

Using big words to say absolutely nothing.

Oxford dictionary: aware of social and political issues, especially racism

• Like 1

The protagonist in the video is entitled to articulate his viewpoint, as are we all, providing we don't live under a  censorial or totalitarian regime where

free speech is verboten

The fact that HE says he is angry doesn't make him "an angry white man", 

in my opinion.

I don't believe his message to be contentious in the slightest, whilst I do disagree with some of the things he is seemingly in favour of.

To me, his basic message is that of "live, and let live".

Who can argue with that?

Edited by allanos
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Anyone who has been to Laos knows they ask "race" on the visa application form.

My 6ft+ blond haired Dutch friend used to write "Master" and was never questioned.

Are you sure he wasn't German?

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Seems the most targeted minority in recent years is a older white male.

Yea, those old white guys that have run the worlds military, police, governments, courts, business, entertainment have had it way too hard for way too long. 

• Like 1