He's an ANGRY White man ! - are you ?

CharlieH

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

White men ... terrible lot they are.

Good thing I identify as a Black Asian Lesbian ????

oh geez, now we need a new set of bathrooms.. I just identify as an Asian Lesbian... so, I ain't squatting where you do... 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, emeraldruby said:

If it is a quote it should be possible to Google it I think. In 1997 I did my MA and all essays had to be submitted on disc to enable the lecturers to do an Alta Vista  Word searches for  unatributed cut and pastes masquerading as original writing.

By pasting whole blocks of text into Google  it's very easy to find quotes.   

I wasn't really interested in finding the text quoted, I was making a point.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I wasn't any of those guys. 

Isn't the definition of 'bigot' treating all members of a group/race as acting the same way or sharing some kind of group responsibulity? 

no. I think all you have to do is say "Archie Bunker" and that takes it all in.. 

two things have been going on for a long long time:

1.  The idea that all men are brothers (and sisters? )  and we all should love each other

2.  Wars ....... with all men (and LGB ?? )  intent on killing each other 

just as a casual observer,  i would say that number two has an edge 

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

it has been hijacked and used as a pejorative more recently.

Not exactly.  It had positive connotations when being "woke" was seen as a good thing.  Now people realise how destructive being "woke" is, so it has become a negative term.

58 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Google tells me that the term African American became popular in the early 90's, popularized by noted and frequent baby daddy, Jesse Jackson.

Black people in America are very tribal (no racism intended). American blacks do not listen to reggae. There's a big north/south divide. AA was a unifier and also a demand for respect. 

I grew up in a very Italian American neighborhood. Those nice people knew nothing of Renaissance painters, opera, or sauce that didn't have a head of garlic in it. You would have to poll approximately ten million Italian Americans to find one who could name the current prime minister of Italy.

Funny story, in the film GoodFella's there's a scene in where they're cooking in prison and one guy says you can't put garlic and onions in the same sauce. Many Italian Americans have repeated this back to me. But the director made it up. He's an Italian American.

Most so-called culture is made up. Partic in America. The term hillbilly was invented by a New York Jewish show biz agent. People where I live proudly call themselves hillbillies.

Being American means being joyously ignorant of the entire world, without singling anyone out specifically for ignoring. I recall a NY Post headline: Cinder Block Falls On Model's Head. And then a sub-headline, 50,000 die in Earthquake.

We don't know where in the world those people died. We only know for sure that they weren't that good looking.

Perhaps because of its vastness, or richness of local variety, the United States has long been seen to be particularly parochial. It has been my opinion that the majority of Americans would not be able to find Africa on a map (unless it was already identified as such). This would also apply to places such as Australia, China, Russia, and many others, in my view, and which the average European scholar, for example, would easily be able to identify.

32 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Is there anyone under 50 years old that is anyway concerned about anyone elses sexuality or race ?

No.  The only gripe of younger conservatives is the alphabet gang wanting to have influence over what people do and how they think.

Hardly anyone cares about race anymore (apart from those who stand to gain from it).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I wasn't really interested in finding the text quoted, I was making a point.

Oh. I thought you were suggesting  someone had cut and pasted  a block of text? That's what you asked for ,the link. But if you can't find a link or there is none or you don't  really want to  find it.You are not making a point! Anyway, just in case you have a genuine  or sincere desire  to find a link then now you know

1 hour ago, rumak said:

slow down ,  you're getting all worked up.    i think you mean   "doesn't concern me" .   see. some things you can fix .    BTW:  how does one know who is stupid when two guys are claiming it's the other one ?

I'm not attacking you. When is misinformation not stupid?

10 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It can be used in a derogatory way.

The word can be used as part of a derogatory sentence or more but as a stand alone word I contend that it isn't derogatory. Almost any racial descriptor can be used in a derogatory way of course.

23 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Not exactly.  It had positive connotations when being "woke" was seen as a good thing.  Now people realise how destructive being "woke" is, so it has become a negative term.

How is being the dictionary definition of "woke" destructive. It really does mean nothing more than being enlightened and aware of the truth of racism and it's extent and prevalence in societies. How can that be a bad thing?

It really is just being used as pejorative by the right. along with other theoretically neutral words like "lefty", "tree hugger" and I don't need to go on but you get the idea. The tendency to use labeling to disparage those one does not agree with is a a cop out when one can't or won't debate issues rationally and civilly. Again, not directed at you, I'm just pointing out the modus operandi most commonly employed by the right and popularised by the likes of Tucker carson.

Edited by ozimoron

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

How is being the dictionary definition of "woke" destructive. It really is just being used as pejorative by the right. along with other theoretically neutral words like "lefty", "tree hugger" and I don't need to go on but you get the idea. The tendency to use labeling to disparage those one does not agree with is a a cop out when one can't or won't debate issues rationally and civilly. Again, not directed at you, I'm just pointing out the modus operandi most commonly employed by the right and popularised by the likes of Tucker carson.

American Television  presenters  is rather going off topic and someone will reply by mentioning  a CNN television presenter and it will be the "Fox V CNN" discussion again  .

How about avoiding the topic of American television stations and presenters ?

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

American Television  presenters  is rather going off topic and someone will reply by mentioning  a CNN television presenter and it will be the "Fox V CNN" discussion again  .

How about avoiding the topic of American television stations and presenters ?

yeah, nah. It's directly relevant and true that Carlson is the best known champion of labeling lefties. The right wing needs to deal with the detritus that it has embraced over the last  few years.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

yeah, nah. It's directly relevant and true that Carlson is the best known champion of labeling lefties. The right wing needs to deal with the detritus that it has embraced over the last  few years.

I do think that it would be better if people could discuss things without constantly going on about "the left" and " the right" .

Not everything can be pigeonholed into either category .

The guy in the video in the O.P isn't Tucker Carlson 

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I do think that it would be better if people could discuss things without constantly going on about "the left" and " the right" .

Not everything can be pigeonholed into either category .

The guy in the video in the O.P isn't Tucker Carlson 

I wasn't the one who dragged out the "woke" epithet. Did I see a single right winger here push back on that? Nope.

Do you deny that the right wing absolutely loves to label the left as woke and lefties?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker-carlson-npr-goes-woke-hilarious

Edited by ozimoron

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Are you playing the victim card because you are white? Is there a reason that people should take an interest in you? Have you frequently been the victim of racial abuse for no reason? Are you homeless on the streets or living in a tent? Are you in need of some empathy you are not receiving because of your situation in life?

Are you suggesting he suffers from  entitlement and privilege  because he dared to speak and is the wrong colour to be a victim of life or of circumstances?.  Or is victimhood a unique attribute of people of colour?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I wasn't the one who dragged out the "woke" epithet. Did I see a single right winger here push back on that? Nope.

Do you deny that the right wing absolutely loves to label the left as woke and lefties?

Yes, Left wing people are known as "lefties" , (its the same word) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, emeraldruby said:

Are you suggesting he suffers from  entitlement and privilege  because he dared to speak and is the wrong colour to be a victim of life or of circumstances?.  Or is victimhood a unique attribute of people of colour?

White people can't claim to be victims of racism. They'd have to show actual systemic disadvantage to do so. Racism isn't just words, that's the least of it. If it was just words it's be a free speech issue. Racism is a historical pattern of actions resulting in systemic disadvantage. Racial equality was not suddenly switched on in 1964.

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, Left wing people are known as "lefties" , (its the same word) 

It depends on the context, right? And the two words may differ little but the intent and motivation behind them is totally different. You can't serious claim that these words are used in a neutral fashion. Nobody buys that.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It depends on the context, right? And the two words may differ little but the intent and motivation behind them is totally different. You can't serious claim that these words are used in a neutral fashion. Nobody buys that.

Am I missing something ?

A person is called a "Lefty" because they have a Left Wing viewpoint and its just easier to say Lefty than it is saying Left winger  

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Just can't stop with the far right epithets. It's pathetic and juvenile.

I had no idea that hippie was a rightwing epithet. Where I live, they def have right wing hippies.

Who knew that cammo gear came in tie dye?

If you see some saddo actually hugging a tree, what is the preferred term for that person? Does tree-embracer someone lend an air of dignity?

Edited by LaosLover

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Am I missing something ?

A person is called a "Lefty" because they have a Left Wing viewpoint and its just easier to say Lefty than it is saying Left winger  

I think you know better. Does the fact that you know the left wing object to this labeling make any difference or cause you to exercise deference and restraint? If not then your intention must be to insult.