Unable to leave Thailand on a new UK passport?

My Thai wife had a UK tourist visa and her Thai born children have only UK passports. They were coming to visit me in the UK but were refused flight at Suvarnabhumi because the children didn't have Thai passports. 

Obviously I wasn't expecting that so is that normal?

Now it seems I have to somehow get Thai passports for them to be able to come to the UK. What are the options for doing this? Thanks in advance 

Will let someone with experience comment but believe both parents must sign passport application so that might be an issue.  Not to mention that suspect children are stopped at airport regardless without both parents permission to travel.  I assume your children were born here and have not entered Thailand on UK passports so can not exit on them?

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Will let someone with experience comment but believe both parents must sign passport application so that might be an issue.  Not to mention that suspect children are stopped at airport regardless without both parents permission to travel.  I assume your children were born here and have not entered Thailand on UK passports so can not exit on them?

The children are born in Thailand and didn't have Thai passports and have never left the country. I got them all UK passports thinking that would be enough.

23 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

They are Thai citizens!

I realize that. I have my own daughter coming home from the USA in September. Due to Covid she has not been home in 4 years and her passport has expired. She can enter on an expired passport but it involves going through a lot of BS on arrival. So she will enter on her US passport. But first stop off the plane will be the Thai passport office on Changwattana.

There's another thread running with a similar (possibly the same) query.  On that thread it's been explained that no one can leave Thailand on an unused foreign passport that doesn't show an entry to Thailand stamp. The airline had no choice. They need Thai passports to leave Thailand.

• Like 1

Thai passports are very easy to obtain and take barely a couple days to arrive after applying.

I never had to sign for my daughter or son to get they're passports done, your wife must have a thai passport so she should allready know the process, the cost is only about 1000 baht. 

3 minutes ago, c0nfu5edp5yc0 said:

Thai passports are very easy to obtain and take barely a couple days to arrive after applying.

I never had to sign for my daughter or son to get they're passports done, your wife must have a thai passport so she should allready know the process, the cost is only about 1000 baht. 

Oh. Where did you apply for the passports? 

9 minutes ago, c0nfu5edp5yc0 said:

How old were they?  It is a requirement for minors that both parents sign - but only one has to do in person.  The other must sign a consent form from my understanding.  As said I have not done this but this seems to confirm my understanding.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/frequently-asked-questions-faqs?menu=5e20148fc4281a00c812e8e4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marin said:

I realize that. I have my own daughter coming home from the USA in September. Due to Covid she has not been home in 4 years and her passport has expired. She can enter on an expired passport but it involves going through a lot of BS on arrival. So she will enter on her US passport. But first stop off the plane will be the Thai passport office on Changwattana.

I was aware that it was possible to enter on an expired passport - what BS? She is entitled to enter, Covid prevented earlier return and she will renew her passport shortly (not that she needs to).

Obviously, the OP's situation is different as there is no Thai passport to start with.

56 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

How old were they?  It is a requirement for minors that both parents sign - but only one has to do in person.  The other must sign a consent form from my understanding.  As said I have not done this but this seems to confirm my understanding.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/frequently-asked-questions-faqs?menu=5e20148fc4281a00c812e8e4

Daughter was 8 months first passport and 6 years old on her renewal which my wife just done 2 months ago, my son was 5 at the time of his passport, I was only present during my son's passport and did not sign anything. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gallstone said:

Oh. Where did you apply for the passports? 

I'm based in Udon thani and the passport office here is at Central Festival shopping mall but used to be at the city amphur, most city's around Thailand will have a similar set up, I know its possible to find the local passport office and even book an appointment online but my wife sorted all that out but I'll attempt to get a link later but it won't be much good to you if like me your Thai reading skills are not the best. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

This is correct.

These regulations are to comply with international agreements intended to stop parental child abductions.

We have always had to comply with these requirements when our children applied for Thai and US passports.